Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Iron striking drills - need consistency

I know the real answer is take some lessons, but finances say otherwise for the time being, so I'm after some advice/range drills for the winter.
    Irons play is easily the weakest part of my game, and is preventing my handicap coming down a fair bit I reckon. The problem is consistency of strike. I can go from hitting a shot a pro would be proud of, to hitting the ground 6 inches behind the ball and sending teh divot further with my very next shot. My direction is generally OK, if I miss its more likely to be to the left, but the bad strikes are killing my game. Anyone got any good drills or other advice to help me improve over the close season?

Handicap 18. Bag full of Taylor Made with a bit of Dunlop thrown in.
    http://www.newforestgolfclub.co.uk/

Journeyman Pro

Re: Iron striking drills - need consistency

Quote Originally Posted by SaintHacker View Post
    I know the real answer is take some lessons, but finances say otherwise for the time being, so I'm after some advice/range drills for the winter.
    Irons play is easily the weakest part of my game, and is preventing my handicap coming down a fair bit I reckon. The problem is consistency of strike. I can go from hitting a shot a pro would be proud of, to hitting the ground 6 inches behind the ball and sending teh divot further with my very next shot. My direction is generally OK, if I miss its more likely to be to the left, but the bad strikes are killing my game. Anyone got any good drills or other advice to help me improve over the close season?
    for sure real difficult to be definitive nit seeing current set-up & swing motion

but given that disparity in strike location - then one big issue is not controlling where the consistent low point in the swing arc is
    would tend to suggest that in the takeback there's a degree of lateral slide to trailside goin on & possibly also some loss of posture either at top of backswing or thru downswing into impact or maybes some of both
    sliding laterally off of the ball on the ways back could mean sometimes you never get back to the lead side good leading to the fats & not so good contact at strike

if you practice on grass you'll need 2 alignment sticks (or if only at hard surface range then 2 alignment sticks & 2 empty upside-down baskets) & a bag towel

stick 1 alignment stick (if grass) next to the outside of the trail heel running up the trail leg to be a couple inches off of the trail hip - during the takeback backswing you need to keep weight on inside trail foot & turn the trail hip behind you so you don't come into contact with the stick (if on a range place the stick in the upside-down basket so the basket is just touching the outside of the trail heel & top of the stick is the same couple inches off of the trail hip)

stick the other alignment stick approx a couple inches this time outside of the lead heel -(as in the video)
    (again if on hard surface stick into upside-down basket so the top of the stick in approx 2" to 3" outside of the lead hip then in transition firs replace weight pressure into lead foot by moving lead knee, thigh & hip jus unto to touch the stick then turn lead hip inside the stick

place the flat bag towel approx 3" to 4" directly behind he ball - this will help you visualize a decent AoA into impact & you'll have to swing to miss towel to have decent strike location ball first turf or mat second

could try with all 3 things in place from the get-go

but maybes easier to start with just the stick at the trail hip side to train a good hip & body pivot (trail shoulder immediately turning behind not shifting laterally to the trailside)
    then add the towel - then add the stick at the lead hip side

the_coach Handicap Index +4.2
    Driver: TM M2 9.5º M 7M3 X-S w73g
    3metal:TM M2 3m M 80M4 X-S w86g
    Hybrid: Callaway Apex 3h 20º Altus HY T X-S w91g
    Irons 3 - 9 Callaway Apex Pro 16 KBS Tour C-Taper S+ w125g
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 rtg's 46º bounce 8º KBS 610 S+ w125g. 52º bounce 8º KBS 610 S+ w125g. Fourteen RM 12 (forged) 58º bounce 8º KBS Hi-Rev X-S w135g.
    Putter: Scotty Cameron 2004 Newport Beach 1.5 Milled Titleist Pro V1x -

Practice this drill

Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Thanks guys. Im playing tomorrow so I'll see if i can get someone to film me and post it up

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    Practice this drill

On a side note Bob

Lovely looking swing you have. Especially that driver head cover vid.
    In the bag

Variations on the below

Callaway X2 Hot 8.5 Degree -Aldila ATX Tour Green X-Flex
    Callaway X2 Hot 18 Degree hybrid - Aldila ATX Tour Green Stiff
    Titlist T-MB 3 Iron - Stiff C Taper
    4-PW Srixon 545/745 Combo 4-PW - Stiff KBS Tour
    Callaway 50,56 and 60 Mackdaddy MD3 Wedges
    Putter – And the winner is.... - RAA Classic centre shaft wand - Best thing since sliced bread

Quote Originally Posted by tugglesf239 View Post
    On a side note Bob

Lovely looking swing you have. Especially that driver head cover vid.
    Thanks. Not bad for an old man
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    Thanks. Not bad for an old man
    Would not be bad for a young man either. The contact sounds sweet as a nut.

Id kill for that tempo
    In the bag

Variations on the below

Callaway X2 Hot 8.5 Degree -Aldila ATX Tour Green X-Flex
    Callaway X2 Hot 18 Degree hybrid - Aldila ATX Tour Green Stiff
    Titlist T-MB 3 Iron - Stiff C Taper
    4-PW Srixon 545/745 Combo 4-PW - Stiff KBS Tour
    Callaway 50,56 and 60 Mackdaddy MD3 Wedges
    Putter – And the winner is.... - RAA Classic centre shaft wand - Best thing since sliced bread

Hope that works. Yesterday was actually a lot better. Been struggling badly with my chipping lately so watched a couple of youtube vids for some inspiration. One of the ones said how important it is to concentrate on finishing with your belt buckle pointing at the target. Did a bit of practice on that before the round and it worked well, so i applied the same thinking with all my iron shots and it really helped, direction was still a bit wonky at times but i was getting some really good solid strikes, and more importantly no chunks!

A good effort.
    If you watch my video above again and listen to the contract you will hear the club 'thump' the mat after the ball. On grass it woul have taken a nice divot.
    You don't take many divots after impact I guess...