Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Golf handicap re sabbatical from golf club?

Hi ,

hopefully someone can help me with this predicament.I have taken a year out from my golf club to watch my son compete at quite a high level of athletics .I was informed that my handicap would be protected for the 1st year ,however ,it may be the case that I have to take a 2nd year out .Would I then lose my handicap and have to go through the 3 card route to get it back.
    If this was the case then I would just rejoin my golf club even if I wasn’t able to play just to keep my handicap.Any advice would be really helpful , thanks .

Re: Golf handicap re sabbatical from golf club?

it will be the three card route for you if you are going to take another year out .
    thems the rules unfortunately.
    common sense is so rare it should be classed as a super power.

Once you have passed the twelve month point, you will have to submit 3 cards but your previous handicap will be taken into account together with the three cards. It would be highly likely that you will be allocated a handicap the same as or pretty close to your old handicap - or you might shoot the lights out and get a lower handicap.

Quote Originally Posted by Norrin Radd View Post
    it will be the three card route for you if you are going to take another year out .
    thems the rules unfortunately.
    ....but he doesn't "lose" his handicap of course, it just becomes 'non-competition' and he needs it re-activated after handing in three more cards. As rosecott says, highly unlikely his handicap will change.

Quote Originally Posted by HughJars View Post
    ....but he doesn't "lose" his handicap of course, it just becomes 'non-competition' and he needs it re-activated after handing in three more cards. As rosecott says, highly unlikely his handicap will change.
    Not so. As soon as he relinquishes his membership, he no longer has a handicap.

Thanks for all you’re replies , seems rejoining my golf club is the only solution even if I will hardly play .

Head Pro

Why is it called lifetime id number then? Thought the system was designed to stop people starting again.
    Handicap 2015: Restarted August :-) 3 cards 12.0
    2016: 12.0 > 8.1
    2017: 8.1 > 5.9
    2018: 5.9 >

Quote Originally Posted by rosecott View Post
    Not so. As soon as he relinquishes his membership, he no longer has a handicap.
    Lifetime ID. The club has to take his previous handicap record into account.

Q-School Graduate

I concur with Rosecott you can only have a handicap if you are a member of an affiliated club. If you leave the club you lose the handicap immediately.

Head Pro

and a month later i'm off 18 when currently playing of 6 ?

sure it works that way these days? I thought it just sat there waiting for you to restart, join a new club and your old CDH fires back into life? and after 3 cards your active again.
    Handicap 2015: Restarted August :-) 3 cards 12.0
    2016: 12.0 > 8.1
    2017: 8.1 > 5.9
    2018: 5.9 >