Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Advice on irons off tees

Hi All , might b a silly question to ye who have always did this , but.......
    Iv been trying to practice playing par 3 tee shots off a tee , up to now ive played off the grass ,
    i notice im hitting it higher and as a result shorter .. Should i b using a club more because im using a tee or am i maybe teeing it a fraction high ? Maybe angle of attack is wrong?
    has any1 else changed like this ?
    do u still compress the ball or sweep it off the tee ?

Gona try get it right over the winter so any tips would be appreciated
    Thanks in advance ..
    Golf... A simple game played by complicated people ...

Re: Advice on irons off tees

Quote Originally Posted by bladeplayer View Post
    Hi All , might b a silly question to ye who have always did this , but.......
    Iv been trying to practice playing par 3 tee shots off a tee , up to now ive played off the grass ,
    i notice im hitting it higher and as a result shorter .. Should i b using a club more because im using a tee or am i maybe teeing it a fraction high ? Maybe angle of attack is wrong?
    has any1 else changed like this ?
    do u still compress the ball or sweep it off the tee ?

Gona try get it right over the winter so any tips would be appreciated
    Thanks in advance ..
    Reason to use a tee for iron tee-shots is to get a 'perfect lie'!

Tee it as low or high as feels right. Whether that means AofA and subsequent flight and distance changes is down to all sorts of things - including the distinct Autumnal/towards Winter weather!

If you need more club, then use more club!
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    McGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei

Journeyman Pro

would spray the face to check whether the contact is a tad high on the face

if the the peg is a tad too high for the swing technique being used then could be adding more loft if the 'release' means the club head is arriving with at the same time as the hands/handle or before the hands/handle - so shaft looking from face on would either be vertical or leaning a tad aways from target - optimum being hands/handle leading a tad forwards leaning shaft with contact location on face being a tad below the vertical geometric center

because the ball is on a tee with irons wouldn't need to take an extra club just because the ball is teed up

but tee height with irons optimum would be the 'cup' of the tee peg almost in contact with the ground - so teed lower than most folks think - so with a good -AoA so not real steep but the lowest point of the swing arc is still target side of the ball
    ball first even on a tee would mean at least scuffing the ground forwards of the ball to taking a divot

no don't really want to be thinking as a norm of 'sweeping' the ball off of the tee with irons
    still looking to compress the ball - understanding that 'compress' just refers to optimum face contact with optimum AoA & optimum dynamic loft - 'compress' in golf terms never means compressing the ball against the ground
    the_coach Handicap Index +4.2
    Driver: TM M2 9.5º M 7M3 X-S w73g
    3metal:TM M2 3m M 80M4 X-S w86g
    Hybrid: Callaway Apex 3h 20º Altus HY T X-S w91g
    Irons 3 - 9 Callaway Apex Pro 16 KBS Tour C-Taper S+ w125g
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 rtg's 46º bounce 8º KBS 610 S+ w125g. 52º bounce 8º KBS 610 S+ w125g. Fourteen RM 12 (forged) 58º bounce 8º KBS Hi-Rev X-S w135g.
    Putter: Scotty Cameron 2004 Newport Beach 1.5 Milled Titleist Pro V1x -

If Jack Nicklaus always suggested using a tee, I think he knew a thing or too about the subject

Q-School Graduate

I use the red (20mm) tee's and sometimes I find I strike the ball to high up on the irons face, I have tried the green (10mm) tee's but they just don't feel rite to me and I don't seem to get the ball flight that I'm looking for which is a touch odd as I'm happy with the ball flight I get off of the fairways without tee's...
    Wilson Deep-Red 3-wood (Fatshaft) King Cobra 7 wood. Macgregor DX 22* hybrid. 5-SW King Cobra 3100i/h. Maxfli 60*. Tour Edge 50*. Ping C67 putter...

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/fli...us-tee-highter

So not only does jack tee it up, he tees it up even higher than normal and sweeps it. No fats or thins. most likely comes in high and soft. Perfect for par 3 approaches.

Going go try this myself. makes sense when you think about it.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*
    Titleist 913 F 16* 4 wood
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7 (or ap2 6&7 iron)
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Titleist sm5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Lee Trevino Napa style putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--

Journeyman Pro

Quote Originally Posted by garyinderry View Post

So not only does jack tee it up, he tees it up even higher than normal and sweeps it. No fats or thins. most likely comes in high and soft. Perfect for par 3 approaches.

Going go try this myself. makes sense when you think about it.
    for sure experiment

but would keep in mind big J is speaking to longer irons in the bag here - 1i to 5i

plus he had the ability to have the tee ball a tad higher but still have his swing arc bottom out after the ball in order to still 'compress' the ball with a center strike to be able to achieve distance & distance control as well as height - so his hands/handle would still be leading with a tad forwards lean to the shaft

his natural swing motion & club head speed also meant he could naturally hit the ball on a higher traj as a norm compared to most of his contemporaries & he was swinging most times to hit a kinda tad push fade as his go to norm shot pattern

teeing the ball a tad higher & controlling the swing arc to have centered contact is a common practice ground drill on tour - Westy seen doing it not that long ago - he would be doin it to regain control of the strike - it's a pretty difficult drill to succeed at & still get norm distance for iron used because it makes a sound center strike harder to achieve - but come playing time majority of players will tee down (unless looking to hit a particular shot because conditions more dictate that) as to why folks during tourney's see tees break a bunch or you see players using foot & club to kick the tee up as the only ways to remove it from the tee box out after the shot

- most index players have seen attempt the higher tee drill with irons have a hard time of achieving a center strike big tendency to slap it high off of the face or thin it
    the_coach Handicap Index +4.2
    Driver: TM M2 9.5º M 7M3 X-S w73g
    3metal:TM M2 3m M 80M4 X-S w86g
    Hybrid: Callaway Apex 3h 20º Altus HY T X-S w91g
    Irons 3 - 9 Callaway Apex Pro 16 KBS Tour C-Taper S+ w125g
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 rtg's 46º bounce 8º KBS 610 S+ w125g. 52º bounce 8º KBS 610 S+ w125g. Fourteen RM 12 (forged) 58º bounce 8º KBS Hi-Rev X-S w135g.
    Putter: Scotty Cameron 2004 Newport Beach 1.5 Milled Titleist Pro V1x -

Head Pro

Never used a tee as I feel I would need to adjust the swing slightly to get a perfect strike. You hit every other iron of the deck and I find it easier to continue with this mindset. I do of course place the ball on a lovely piece of grass

For all my irons I tee it up at the lowest possible height (so a small tee pushed all the way in) - just gets the ball a couple of millimetres off the ground, and I can pretty much take my normal iron swing, but with better chance of a good contact (less chance of hitting it thin). Ages ago I used to adjust height based on the length of iron, so longer ones I would try teeing them up slightly higher but that just made it much harder to hit it properly for me - I'd be getting right under them too much, or it would exacerbate more slice and send it miles right. I find it much easier to tee them all very low now.

I only carry two tees with me, pink barrel tees for the driver, and short regular tees for everything else. (With the 5 wood I will tee it fractionally higher than the irons but not by much.)
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug Dec
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9 still 22.9!

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

I always, always use a tee on Par 3s - as said - it gives me a perfect lie if I want to tee it low. These days I use a wee red tee for such as a 6i off the tee as I get a good strike and decent distance. Some may say that a wee red tee is too high for a 6i - but who's to know? I hit it nice and high and get about 160yds carry. And that does me just grand.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done