Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Tour Rookie

Re: Admiting defeat...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesbrown View Post
    Ap2ís are not players irons. I game them. Theyíre an inbetweener.
    What your describing is a weak ball flight. You need lessons to strengthen the flight by delivering better loft.
    You donít need to mess with shafts either or buy a new set of irons.

Buy all means though. If youíve lost confidence in your clubs, and adamant itís nothing a pro canít sort. Buy GI clubs with jacked lofts. Everybody plays better for a week or two with new clubs.
    Spieth plays ap2s

I'd say he's a player

Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by pauljames87 View Post
    Spieth plays ap2s

I'd say he's a player
    He is a player, but the clubs are not marketed as such.

Even then. Loft is loft. Doesnít matter what club you have, shaft etc.
    If the AP2 7iron is 34 deg and your path is 9 from the inside and the face is open slightly with a shallow attack angle you can expect crap whatever the club.
    Get lessons. Learn to use the tools youíve got.

Its still all between the tabs though and maybe some chunky looking shovels may appease the eye and transform the delivery of ones club.

Tour Winner

What your describing is a weak ball flight. You need lessons to strengthen the flight by delivering better loft.

Buy all means though. If youíve lost confidence in your clubs, and adamant itís nothing a pro canít sort. Buy GI clubs with jacked lofts. Everybody plays better for a week or two with new clubs.
    sorry but I can't take anyone serious that say they "game" a golf club 😁

Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by hovis View Post
    sorry but I can't take anyone serious that say they "game" a golf club 
    Thats fine, I canít take anyoneís opinion seriously when they claim AP2 will give you consistent flight and distance.

Tour Rookie

Thats fine, I canít take anyoneís opinion seriously when they claim AP2 will give you consistent flight and distance.
    Again do you no think spieth claims this with his ap2s?

I know a 4 handicapper who plays ap2s

His distance is spot on

Club Champion

Quote Originally Posted by pauljames87 View Post
    Again do you no think spieth claims this with his ap2s?

I know a 4 handicapper who plays ap2s

His distance is spot on
    Speith will say whatever titleist tells him to say since heís on the payroll. He isnít going to say they arenít any good.
    But he wouldnít play the clubs if he didnít like them. Heíd play MBís if he liked them. But he obviously does not.

I know a plus 2 capper and can be short or long. Itís strike dependant. Loft delivered.
    The club does not provide consistency. The player does.

Money List Winner

To be honest, playing off 21 I could not get on with Titliest APs, had two sets ( long story) swopped them for Pings and best thing I have done. Don't get me wrong, off 21 my swing can be all over the place, but when you hit one sweet it flies better than a Titliest ever did.
    However Melly who stole the clubs off me for £150 smashes it miles and straight. He just loves them. For me it is all down to the individual and you have made the right decision getting rid of them if they are not right for you.

In a short time i had plenty of iron sets...
    MD graphite shafted, titleist 775 cb forged, ping g10, back to 775's and then rocketbladez courtesy of GM. I stuck with rbz for a while but they were just to springy for me especially bump and runs. I now have TM TP CB's which i hit well but shonky swing = inconsistency.

Ping G10 were by far the best for me off 22 or whatever i was but i hated the looks. In hindsight i should have gone for function over form!

So any G10's for swap? Haha

Tour Rookie

I'd actually agree with you they are in betweeners as they aren't blades but so many youtube reviews and from speaking to other people referring to them as players clubs is why I refer to them as that; not to mention quite a few tour pros playing them.

re: Lesson I have had a lot this year and my ball striking is still a work in progress. and I CAN deliver the ball well- like I said I just don't do it enough. Distances weren't all that different between 6 iron of AP2 and 7 iron AP1 because the lofts were the same- what was different was front and back dispersion because of strike. Spin and smash factor was better on AP1 too.

I've looked at a Trackman report from a few weeks ago:

Carry on AP2 6 iron was lowest carry 145.0, highest carry 160.4 (Quite a big difference). Ave. AoA -3.6. SS 85 MPH, BSL 5504. SF 1.30

I hit a lot of shots last night on AP1. Lowest carry 153.8, Highest carry 160. can't remember exact AoA but was roughly same I think. SS 82.9MPH backspin was about 5900-6000 and SF was up at 1.33-1.34

you're absolutely right though it is all down to me and my poor ball striking- trouble is with a new baby I just don't have as much time to practice my ball striking so moving to something that does give a bit more forgiveness is a no brainer.

They are obviously bigger than AP2 but wouldn't say they are shovels- the looks was the reason I wanted AP3 but again for most consistency I wasn't getting that (albeit more so than AP2)

Time will tell if I do improve with them- I will be able to measure it as using arcoss 360 which has told me my approach play is weakest part of my game- telling me my comparable handicap is 20.8 for approach shots.... whereas driving at 9.8 and putting 10.5 so will see if the new irons will bring that down and i'll hit more greens as at the moment only hit 22.22% in reg.
    In My Bag: Driver: Callaway Epic Driver set to 8 degree. Woods: Callaway epic 3 wood Hi-Loft 16.5 Hybrid: Titleist TMB 3 utility + Titleist 816 3 hybrid Irons: Titleist AP2 716's 5i-PW Wedges: Vokey SM6 50, 54 & 58 Putter: Scotty Newport M2 Handicap - 2015: 28 > 27.6 > 27.7 > 27.8> 25.8 > 25.4, 2016: 25.4 > 24.6 > 24.7 > 24.8 > 21.6 > 21.7 > 19.5 > 19.6 > 18.4 >18.5>16.5 >16. 2017 Aim: get to 12.4 handicap and break 80

I went to Mizuno MP-4's in the spring last year. Short irons were sublime but the long irons were too good for me. I had had TP-9's many years ago and loved 'em. Obviously I'm not good enough now. The Mizzies lasted 6 months before I switched to Ping S55's, and I'm nailing the long irons again.
    Give it big humpties