Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Tour Rookie

Admiting defeat...

So after a season of poor iron play i have decided to revert back to GI irons... only had the AP2 6 months and when you hit them nice they feel great but just dont do it enough.

Had a go on trackman and the drop off on poor hits is incomparable between AP1 and AP2.

Initially went in with intention of AP3 but didnt hit them quite as nice either so better than AP2.

So a 6 month old set of AP2's going up very soon in FS section.

Has anyone else made the jump to players irons and regretted it? Did you find an improvement changing back?
    In My Bag: Driver: Callaway Epic Driver set to 8 degree. Woods: Callaway epic 3 wood Hi-Loft 16.5 Hybrid: Titleist TMB 3 utility + Titleist 816 3 hybrid Irons: Titleist AP2 716's 5i-PW Wedges: Vokey SM6 50, 54 & 58 Putter: Scotty Newport M2 Handicap - 2015: 28 > 27.6 > 27.7 > 27.8> 25.8 > 25.4, 2016: 25.4 > 24.6 > 24.7 > 24.8 > 21.6 > 21.7 > 19.5 > 19.6 > 18.4 2017: 18.4 >18.5>16.5 >16. End 2017 Aim: get to 12.4 handicap and break 80 (FAILED)!

Q-School Graduate

Re: Admiting defeat...

KJ Choi was using Ping G series irons for a while. Make the game as easy as possible for yourself, why make it harder?
    Paul Lawrie - The King of Scottish Golf

Tour Rookie

I remember Colin mc once did a what's in the bag with sky and he had hybrids and said these are so easy to hit I don't understand why people make the game harder

This is from professional golfer.....

Yet you get amateurs who insist that they are the devils work

Sorry,.........thought this thread was started by Homer.

Tour Winner

it depends on what you need from an iron. the biggest drawbacks from gi irons is they launch too high for someone that's doesn't struggle to get the ball airborne. they're also incredibly inconsistent throughout the face. the ball speed drop off when comparing centre to off-centre strikes is massive.

with an ap2 your not going to get much help but they're Much more predictable on ball flight and distance

i dont know you or your game personally but at the beginning of this year you where still playing in the 20's. I'd say your jump was too soon. I'm playing off 7 and only just switched to the ap2 from ping ie irons
    Last edited by hovis; 11-Oct-2017 at 19:00.

I did the same a while back and im really happy that i did. I chopped in my Mizuno's for an off the shelf set of TM's RSI 1's and haven't looked back
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by hovis View Post
    it depends on what you need from an iron. the biggest drawbacks from gi irons is they launch too high for someone that's doesn't struggle to get the ball airborne. they're also incredibly inconsistent throughout the face. the ball speed drop off when comparing centre to off-centre strikes is massive.

with an ap2 your not going to get much help but they're Much more predictable on ball flight and distance

i dont know you or your game personally but at the beginning of this year you where still playing in the 20's. I'd say your jump was too soon. I'm playing off 7 and only just switched to the ap2 from ping ie irons
    Definitely right that ive jumped too soon... AP1 got me down from 28-18 and i felt i was a better ball striker than i was (typical golfer ego)... my dads friend at the club off 7 and he plays AP1.

In saying theyre inconsistant across the face tho i found the opposite in testing. Front back dispersion over a lot of shots was 6 yards carry and 6 yards total with AP1. In AP2 on shots before for comparison the margin was much larger... cant remember exactly what.

Cant see me playing players clubs unless im ever Cat 1 and even then not sure im gonna see a benefit.

Head Pro

Quote Originally Posted by hovis View Post

Can relate to this post. I play GI irons as I'm a high handicapper (16). I would love to be able to play better irons as I'm a high ball hitter naturally and I hate the flight in general. Wind kills me with such a high ball flight. No real option as to lower the flight I would likely have to play better irons or start messing about with shafts

Re: Admitting defeat...

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotie McBoogerballs View Post
    Sorry,.........thought this thread was started by Homer.
    Nah!

Being an NHS man, he'd have spelt 'admitting' properly!

I think KJ Choi has played almost every style of iron there is too - a true Ho! He played Augusta with a bag full of headcovers too! I've actually used one of his old (rejected/traded) shafts - my first Matrix experience! And boy did it perform!

@OP. Sounds like a reasonable decision. If you are trying to improve, why make the game harder than needs to be? I've stopped chasing reductions, so happily play in-between irons, but only from 6 iron, having replaced the 5 with a 27* hybrid!
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    McGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei

Had my MP-57s since taking up the game, always wondered if I should switch to GIs but never had the cash. Just going to stick with these forver more I think...