Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Tour Winner

Re: Admiting defeat...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesbrown View Post
    Thats fine, I canít take anyoneís opinion seriously when they claim AP2 will give you consistent flight and distance.
    what I'm saying is ap2 with a good golf swing will give you more consistent dispersion than a ap1. you only have to look at YouTube for the answers. oh and i mean distance dispersion not left to right.

if gi irons where superior then why don't all pros use them?
    Last edited by hovis; 12-Oct-2017 at 09:43.

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by hovis View Post
    what I'm saying is ap2 with a good golf swing will give you more consistent dispersion than a ap1. you only have to look at YouTube for the answers. oh and i mean distance dispersion not left to right.

if gi irons where superior then why don't all pros use them?
    I always thought pro's used more "players" type Irons due to workability- control and feel?

Like you say I'm not a consistent enough ball striker and found AP1 more consistent for me- both previosu model I had and from testing the new model
    In My Bag: Driver: Callaway Epic Driver set to 8 degree. Woods: Callaway epic 3 wood Hi-Loft 16.5 Hybrid: Titleist TMB 3 utility + Titleist 816 3 hybrid Irons: Titleist AP2 716's 5i-PW Wedges: Vokey SM6 50, 54 & 58 Putter: Scotty Newport M2 Handicap - 2015: 28 > 27.6 > 27.7 > 27.8> 25.8 > 25.4, 2016: 25.4 > 24.6 > 24.7 > 24.8 > 21.6 > 21.7 > 19.5 > 19.6 > 18.4 2017: 18.4 >18.5>16.5 >16. End 2017 Aim: get to 12.4 handicap and break 80 (FAILED)!

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesbrown View Post
    Thats fine, I canít take anyoneís opinion seriously when they claim AP2 will give you consistent flight and distance.
    Good retort Sir.

Likewise I can't take a post seriously when they believe that the AP2 is less forgiving or more players biased than Ping iE irons.
    Paul Lawrie - The King of Scottish Golf

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Jacko_G View Post
    Good retort Sir.

Likewise I can't take a post seriously when they believe that the AP2 is less forgiving or more players biased than Ping iE irons.
    so how would you compare the AP2 to a ping i series iron? level pegging?

the ping i series has a longer face, deeper face, thicker top line, wider sole and more offset. still comparable?

the ping i blade on the other hand......
    Last edited by hovis; 12-Oct-2017 at 10:34.

it depends on what you need from an iron. the biggest drawbacks from gi irons is they launch too high for someone that's doesn't struggle to get the ball airborne. they're also incredibly inconsistent throughout the face. the ball speed drop off when comparing centre to off-centre strikes is massive.

with an ap2 your not going to get much help but they're Much more predictable on ball flight and distance

i dont know you or your game personally but at the beginning of this year you where still playing in the 20's. I'd say your jump was too soon. I'm playing off 7 and only just switched to the ap2 from ping ie irons
    Blimey you did well considering you were giving up qualifiers and off 13 last year.

The AP2ís also have a lot of forgiveness in them - I believe due the use of tungsten in them the level of forgiveness in the new AP2 are the equivalent of the previous AP1ís .

There is also no exact model/science - I know some who plays of 2 and uses G15 and then a scratch player who uses X15 ( the Callaways). Westwood who is up there with the best ball strikers in the world uses the iEs and because the level of extra forgiveness in the APís then the difference in forgiveness between them and iE wonít be worlds apart and pretty comparable

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    Blimey you did well considering you were giving up qualifiers and off 13 last year.

The AP2ís also have a lot of forgiveness in them - I believe due the use of tungsten in them the level of forgiveness in the new AP2 are the equivalent of the previous AP1ís .

There is also no exact model/science - I know some who plays of 2 and uses G15 and then a scratch player who uses X15 ( the Callaways). Westwood who is up there with the best ball strikers in the world uses the iEs and because the level of extra forgiveness in the APís then the difference in forgiveness between them and iE wonít be worlds apart and pretty comparable

l always said I'll start competing again when i can compete in scratch comps. with the work I've put in this year i think next year might be the year. i tried a few recently but i just got destroyed.

to knock 6 shots off my handicap has been an epic task. i think i have a wife somewhere

l always said I'll start competing again when i can compete in scratch comps. with the work I've put in this year i think next year might be the year. i tried a few recently but i just got destroyed.

even be off 6 if the css is high from Saturdays comp.
    Thatís a very good HC reduction in 12 months - must have had some very good Comp scores or using Opens to help ? They will help bring it down.

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    Thatís a very good HC reduction in 12 months - must have had some very good Comp scores or using Opens to help ? They will help bring it down.
    all cuts have come from handing my cards in from away fireservice comps. i shot a 74 gross which cut me alot

Admiting defeat would be giving the game up.

Changing clubs to 'easier to hit' clubs is sensible.

Why do people get so worked up about which bracket of clubs they use?

I don't use hybrid type clubs as they don't appeal to my eye besides the ball at address.

Equally some players like to say they can hit iron X much further than normal and equally like to make a deal about they stiffness of shaft they use.

Simply put, play whatever makes you enjoy the game the best you can.
    Dec - Mar >> 21.2 Apr >> 21.2, 20.1, 18.6, 18.0 May >> 18.0, 16.2, 15.7, 14.2, 14.3 Jun >> 14.3, 13.1, 12.1, 11.5, 11.6 Jul >> 11.6, 11.4, 10.8 Aug >> 10.8, 9.2, 7.4 Sep >> 7.4, 7.5, 7.6 Oct Srixon Z765 11.5* - August 2017 A Gap, with an Adams Tight Lies 16* and a Kasco 20* Hybrid filling this gap until further notice ! Srixon Z565 4-Pw - Jan 2017 Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*10, 54*11, 58*06 - May 2017 Odyssey O-Works 1 SS Pistol Putter - July 2017 Srixon AD333 Tour - May 2017

To get back to the OP, I think once you lose the love for a club it's very hard to get it back. Once that gnawing doubt is there it eats away at you.

That's the game for many of us. I switched to MP54s a while back from G15s and when I feel in control with my irons now it's like nothing I experienced before. Get it wrong and it's all wrong, but that's me, not the club. Having a smaller margin for error makes you focus more on the contact imo. It's a circular arguement from there but for me it comes down to what feels right and gives you confidence.
    1W, 3W, 2h, 3h Titleist 915
    4i Titleist 716 TM-B
    5i - PW Mizuno MP54
    51, 55* Vokey SM2
    Odyssey RX7
    H/c 10