Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Tour Rookie

Re: Admiting defeat...

I don't struggle with my irons but I had a go with a friends g15's and could not do anything but hit them straight and long and the forgiveness is ridiculous, been wondering why on earth I make the game harder with the more players cb's I use since and I still don't have an answer other than vanity.
    : TM M2: TM V-Steel 13*: Titleist 910 21*: Cleveland 588cb 4-PW: Callaway MD3 52/8 & 58/9: Ping Redwood AnswerH/C 5

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger man View Post
    I don't struggle with my irons but I had a go with a friends g15's and could not do anything but hit them straight and long and the forgiveness is ridiculous, been wondering why on earth I make the game harder with the more players cb's I use since and I still don't have an answer other than vanity.
    its not about making the game harder. gi irons produce very inconsistent ball speeds. most people reading this have hit an iron clean through the back of the green and look bemused to their playing partners as to what happened.

if gi irons where the way forward then most aspiring pros would use them to get on tour. but they dont because they dont know how far the next shot is going to go.

an example would be my recent fitting with titleist. when i tried the ap3 i was producing ball speed of 130 with centre strikes but dropping off to 119 out the toe. with the ap2 i was producing 125 out the centre and 119 out the toe.

Ive dropped the 6 and 7 irons from my ap2. Replaced with old mizuno jpx fli hi irons. They have an iron like face but a hybrid body.

So much easier to hit. Pick them up off ebay and make the game easier.

With only 8 to lob wedge then the jpx on down through to proper hybrids and woods, It feels like i have a bag of wedges and hybrids.

Simple

Why make it harder than it needs to be. Very happy with my I25 as the head and top line is small enough and forgiveness there. That said I put a G400 iron next to the I25 and minimal difference. Hit the G400 great too. Plenty to think on once I get the swing in order

Buy some blades, its the way golf was meant to be played.

Quote Originally Posted by murphthemog View Post
    Damn right, then discover the margin of error is zero compared to “mucho” with GI irons 😃

Quote Originally Posted by murphthemog View Post
    Agreed, all the Old School clubs I've bought this year have been blades and I've loved playing them.
    If anything I think they've improved my iron play as I concentrate more on getting the middle of the face back to the ball.
    And who cares if a few mis-hits don't go as far as they would with a GI iron.

It's not all about the score.
    Comp Set- Driver-Titleist 909 D2, x3 wood-Mizuno MP001, x5 wood-Cobra S2, xHybrid-Mizuno MX700 20 deg, xx
    Irons- Mizuno JPX 825 Pro 4-PW, xxMizuno Tour Style 52 & Vokey 56 deg,xxPutter - Odyssey White Steel No 1
    Old School Clubs - Too many to list.
    2017 H4H H'cap Challenge vs Richart & chrisd - Start 10.8, current 11.8

Tour Rookie

Not sure that gi clubs are inconsistent. The whole point of perimeter weighting is to give a larger, more even, sweet spot.

Some of the newer models have springier faces, but aren't these designed to improve off centre strikes in the same way as driver faces? The older ones (like g15 ) don't even have that sort of tech, so I find it hard to believe there's an iron which gives better results from an imperfect contact.

Club Champion

Ap2’s are not players irons. I game them. They’re an inbetweener.
    What your describing is a weak ball flight. You need lessons to strengthen the flight by delivering better loft.
    You don’t need to mess with shafts either or buy a new set of irons.

Buy all means though. If you’ve lost confidence in your clubs, and adamant it’s nothing a pro can’t sort. Buy GI clubs with jacked lofts. Everybody plays better for a week or two with new clubs.