Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Re: Idiots behind the wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Kellfire View Post
    Why call people selfish for behaving correctly then?
    That comment was referring back to the original post about jumping traffic in a semi stationary queue.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellfire View Post
    Your excessive braking claim wouldn't cause tailbacks because those "speeding" who probably aren't speeding, they're just maintaining their speed in the free lane in comparison to the clogged up left lane, will only be slowing down to the speed needed to merge.
    So, the speed limit approaching the closed lane is 50 mph. I'm doing 50 as is often the case, someone overtakes me (who according to you isn't speeding), then has to slow down by braking harder than necessary to nick in at the last minute. Causing the cascade effect. It's a known phenomenon caused by excessive speed. If you just merged earlier there would be no excessive braking but might make you 30 seconds later for you oh so important appointment.

For those who think they are using these additional lanes correctly, I think your right. It’s how they were designed and how they are intended to be used. Intelligent lanes as they were referred to.

In my mind it’s not the people who use them that are wrong, it’s the design itself. The design runs on certain assumptions which look great on paper and in models but in reality don’t play out that way. We only have these solutions as we have limited space and high traffic density.

The real solution, short term as it is, is to accept their use and do our best to make them work as intended. This can only be done through education of drivers. Education of people who are “experienced” drivers is far too low.

Education doesn’t mean a binary pass fail test with extreme consequences but it should be a certain volume of information material and advice to anyone with a licence. I’m all for a degree of online retesting but that is far far into the future...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Barzini View Post
    Re: the debate over two lanes merging. For what it's worth!

The correct way is to use all road space available and merge sensibly at the merge point. However, most people in this country aren't prepared to do it, because the British way is to queue and wait your turn. So as a result you often have a long line of people queuing in the inside lane and causing delays - while hundreds of yards of outside lane lays empty. And you get the occasional person heading down the outside and merging at the front, with all those on the inside huffing and puffing at the perceived "pushing in".

If you're a "queuer" by nature and doggedly think you're doing the correct thing, try to look at it like this. Firstly, examine the way you think is right.

Let's assume there are 100 cars needing to get through that merge point. By your "queueing" method, everyone should patiently line up in order, 1-100. When 101 arrives at the back, he should merge behind 100. And so on for numbers 102, 103 and so on. So the queue gets longer and longer and longer down the road and more and more outside lane road space goes un-used. Delays start way further back as everyone gets into their "rightful" position.

Let's say 101 is one of the people you view as an "A-hole" and decides not to queue and heads up to the front - you all perceive him as a queue jumper, doing the wrong thing. Some people doggedly refuse to let him in, but he gets in somewhere without waiting too long.

Now try to look at it a different way instead. The right way.

Instead of numbers 1-100 patiently queuing up in the left lane, everyone tries the "zipper" method. Number 1 stays in the left lane, number 2 goes into the right lane, number 3 in lhe left, number 4 in the right and so on. Everyone proceeds like this at a sensible speed and when they approach the merge point, they merge like a zipper. 2 goes behind 1, 3 goes behind 2, 4 goes behind 3 and so on.

Doing it this way, everyone gets through much quicker because queues don't start as far back down the road. This is the way it's SUPPOSED to be done. And perhaps best of all for some of you - number 101 can't possibly bomb up the outside and "push in". He has to wait "his turn" like everyone else.

Alright, in reality it wouldn't work exactly like that, with cars merging perfectly one at a time. But if people were more aware that this is the way to do it, it would work best for everyone.

However, as I've said above, British people in general simply cannot and/or will not get their head around this. The only way things might change would be if there was some sort of sustained official ad campaign demonstrating it and more info out there.

Until then though, you'll get 1-100 queuing on the inside huffing and puffing about 101 "pushing in". 1-100 need to realise they're driving in a way that allows 101 to do that.
    On the whole, this is pretty true.

This 1950 cartoon is still pretty apt though!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdgVcGjzgR4

And it demonstrates that driver attitudes are pretty similar the world over!

Btw. The 'British' concept of queue-ing 'properly' certainly doesn't apply to acquiring (non pre-ordered) drinks in half-time theatre bars!
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    McGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei

Quote Originally Posted by Don Barzini View Post
    Re: the debate over two lanes merging. For what it's worth!

The correct way is to use all road space available and merge sensibly at the merge point. However, most people in this country aren't prepared to do it, because the British way is to queue and wait your turn. So as a result you often have a long line of people queuing in the inside lane and causing delays - while hundreds of yards of outside lane lays empty. And you get the occasional person heading down the outside and merging at the front, with all those on the inside huffing and puffing at the perceived "pushing in".

If you're a "queuer" by nature and doggedly think you're doing the correct thing, try to look at it like this. Firstly, examine the way you think is right.

Let's assume there are 100 cars needing to get through that merge point. By your "queueing" method, everyone should patiently line up in order, 1-100. When 101 arrives at the back, he should merge behind 100. And so on for numbers 102, 103 and so on. So the queue gets longer and longer and longer down the road and more and more outside lane road space goes un-used. Delays start way further back as everyone gets into their "rightful" position.

Let's say 101 is one of the people you view as an "A-hole" and decides not to queue and heads up to the front - you all perceive him as a queue jumper, doing the wrong thing. Some people doggedly refuse to let him in, but he gets in somewhere without waiting too long.

Now try to look at it a different way instead. The right way.

Instead of numbers 1-100 patiently queuing up in the left lane, everyone tries the "zipper" method. Number 1 stays in the left lane, number 2 goes into the right lane, number 3 in lhe left, number 4 in the right and so on. Everyone proceeds like this at a sensible speed and when they approach the merge point, they merge like a zipper. 2 goes behind 1, 3 goes behind 2, 4 goes behind 3 and so on.

Doing it this way, everyone gets through much quicker because queues don't start as far back down the road. This is the way it's SUPPOSED to be done. And perhaps best of all for some of you - number 101 can't possibly bomb up the outside and "push in". He has to wait "his turn" like everyone else.

Alright, in reality it wouldn't work exactly like that, with cars merging perfectly one at a time. But if people were more aware that this is the way to do it, it would work best for everyone.

However, as I've said above, British people in general simply cannot and/or will not get their head around this. The only way things might change would be if there was some sort of sustained official ad campaign demonstrating it and more info out there.

Until then though, you'll get 1-100 queuing on the inside huffing and puffing about 101 "pushing in". 1-100 need to realise they're driving in a way that allows 101 to do that.
    Excellent post and very well explained - as it should be!

Singing Hills Founders cup holder 2014 with JustOne - glad he was there!

Money List Winner

Yup you see what you are arguing about is two lanes and cannot even agree on that, but what grips my poo is the prat in the left hand lane that's turning into ASDA but goes straight on, and nearly takes my front end off coz he is in the wrong lane. He's oblivious to that, but a quick blast on the horn to tell him he nearly ******* my front end and all hell lets loose, coz its England and not the done thing to use your horn.
    Or that twazzock behind me today when am going to golf, we're all doin 20 mph behind a tractor and trailer, he thinks it is a good time to be texting and misses my back end by inches. Another blast on the horn from me results in much arm gesticulating plus the continuation of texting. You see you can drive like a prat on the roads but for god sake don't use your horn.

Ahh, yes tashy, very similar experince on the M1 today for me.

Driving in the right hand lane, the guy in the middle lane, who is next to me slaps his indicators on, and pulls over, just, and i mean just, missing me. I horn him, and flash my lights. Not clever, bit flipping heck is he a twit.

He then bangs on the anchors, full on emergency style down to 30 odd, from near 80, to brake test me. Luckily there is no one behind.

He goes into the middle lane, i draw parallel and give him the finger. Not big, but a mistake. Clearly. As he goes into total mental road rage.

Seriously, this guy is nuts.

Tail gating from inches away, under takes stupidly close, and tries to ram me into the central barriers, so i am over the white line, next to the armco, brake hard, go to the middle lane, and then the left lane and drop down to 50 odd.

He swerves across, and pulls along side. He is full on screaming at me with his nose pretty much against the near side window, and then swerves at me, forcing me onto the hard shoulder. Inches from a collision.

Seriously? The guy should be in a psychiatric hospital, not driving. He is a nutter.

Head Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Doon frae Troon View Post
    Filtering works well where I live.
    It only fails elsewhere when people who do not understand the science of filtering fail to let R/H lane users in.

BTW had a 'tourist' cut me up twice this morning on the same roundabout.
    Cutting across lanes. Once on the right and once on the left. What do they think lane lines are for.
    They were awarded by a very rare blast on my horn.
    With tourist, do you mean someone from continental Europe, or just someone from Britain but outside Scotland?

If it is a European, we are used to different roundabouts. When I learned on a 2 lane roundabout the outside lane always stays the outside lane. Over here the outside lane turns off at the next exit, the inside lane becomes the outside lane, and a new inside lane gets created. Confused the hell out of me.
    1st time I encountered that (Hanger Lane, A40/A406) it took me 3 goes to get to the exit I wanted.

The British way is possibly more efficient because the tailback shouldn't impact other lanes. But sometimes without local knowledge it's difficult to be in the right place from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by murphthemog View Post
    Ahh, yes tashy, very similar experince on the M1 today for me.

Driving in the right hand lane, the guy in the middle lane, who is next to me slaps his indicators on, and pulls over, just, and i mean just, missing me. I horn him, and flash my lights. Not clever, bit flipping heck is he a twit.

He then bangs on the anchors, full on emergency style down to 30 odd, from near 80, to brake test me. Luckily there is no one behind.

He goes into the middle lane, i draw parallel and give him the finger. Not big, but a mistake. Clearly. As he goes into total mental road rage.

Seriously, this guy is nuts.

Tail gating from inches away, under takes stupidly close, and tries to ram me into the central barriers, so i am over the white line, next to the armco, brake hard, go to the middle lane, and then the left lane and drop down to 50 odd.

He swerves across, and pulls along side. He is full on screaming at me with his nose pretty much against the near side window, and then swerves at me, forcing me onto the hard shoulder. Inches from a collision.

Seriously? The guy should be in a psychiatric hospital, not driving. He is a nutter.
    Agreed he is, but why oh why feel the need to retailiate with an obvious sign? I would say anyone who is prepared to brake test you like that (an illegal act) is very likely to react just as if not worse to your show of pleasure with your hand.
    Forever trying.

if there are 2 lanes them use them... pretty easy really
    COYS