Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Re: Idiots behind the wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Imurg View Post
    These work if the lanes are long enough and people are considerate enough to allow merging
    We have junctions like these with Bus lanes either side of the lights, the two lanes last for a total of 200 metres - we're not allowed in bus lanes stall.
    They're simply not long enough and by the time you've merged into the left you're merging back out again...
    New junctions popping up all over the place with many more lanes than are necessary.
    All the ADI's in the town hate them with a vengeance - they've just created a speeding and overtaking zone.
    I know exactly what you mean - but if only they were used as they were meant to be!
    Singing Hills Founders cup holder 2014 with JustOne - glad he was there!

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    Just out of interest, if you were on a dual carriageway and you saw a sign for roadworks with the right lane closed in half a mile, what would you do?
    Depending on how much traffic there was; If it was light I'd stay in the left lane as the traffic would be moving, if however the traffic is queued in the left lane, I would go down the right all the way to the cones and merge in.

It used to boil my wee when going to Leeds several years ago when the A1 was being made 3 lanes north of Wetherby, you'd get the road works in 2 miles signs and people would be pulling over to the left lane, leaving the right clear, but, you would then get the dick head articulated lorry drivers blocking the right lane and not letting anything past. Two lorries would crawl side by side down the road for 2 miles until the cones, where the left hand lorry would slow and let the right hand lorry in. The result of their selfish antics would be two lanes of traffic backed up for miles.

Just use the right hand lane and merge in turn, dead easy.

But as is the British way, if there is a queue you must join it. Stop being a sheep.
    IF you've been smoking something you shouldn't and you see something that walks like a duck, sounds like a duck and looks like a duck, then it's probably a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by Khamelion View Post
    Depending on how much traffic there was; If it was light I'd stay in the left lane as the traffic would be moving, if however the traffic is queued in the left lane, I would go down the right all the way to the cones and merge in.

It used to boil my wee when going to Leeds several years ago when the A1 was being made 3 lanes north of Wetherby, you'd get the road works in 2 miles signs and people would be pulling over to the left lane, leaving the right clear, but, you would then get the dick head articulated lorry drivers blocking the right lane and not letting anything past. Two lorries would crawl side by side down the road for 2 miles until the cones, where the left hand lorry would slow and let the right hand lorry in. The result of their selfish antics would be two lanes of traffic backed up for miles.

But as is the British way, if there is a queue you must join it. Stop being a sheep.
    Completely agree with all the above.

You'd think though, that the so called "Professional Lorry Drivers" would know better!
    Singing Hills Founders cup holder 2014 with JustOne - glad he was there!

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Kellfire View Post
    Attachment 23776

In my scenario, the red lane is chockablock. I join the road in the green lane and filter in from it at the top. As it's designed to be used.

We're talking apples and oranges I think.
    That looks like a knob.

I'm glad I don't drive too much anymore.... General discipline is very poor. Middle lane and outside lane hogs to start with wind me up. The sooner everyone learns to drive in the left lane the better.

Then the total lack of understanding on how to go over a roundabout.... Unless the floor markings direct otherwise you should be in the left lane to go straight over, not in the right hand lane. The amount of people that have nearly taken the nose off my car over the years is unreal, I swear it's just laziness. Or maybe ignorance.

Quote Originally Posted by adam6177 View Post
    I'm glad I don't drive too much anymore.... General discipline is very poor. Middle lane and outside lane hogs to start with wind me up. The sooner everyone learns to drive in the left lane the better.

Then the total lack of understanding on how to go over a roundabout.... Unless the floor markings direct otherwise you should be in the left lane to go straight over, not in the right hand lane. The amount of people that have nearly taken the nose off my car over the years is unreal, I swear it's just laziness. Or maybe ignorance.
    First thing I was told when I started my ADI training was " Never, ever, say 'straight over' the roundabout because, sooner or later, someone will!!"
    And I've seen a learner do it😨
    Callaway clubs in a Callaway bag.

Handicap 7.7 at Whipsnade Park

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by Khamelion View Post

Not saying their right but lorry drivers I swear did this to force people to stay in left lane and in their eyes keep the traffic flowing

Wannabe coppers almost.. self elected kings of the road

However soon as I see a lane closure I want to get over and if everyone got over earlier we would move quicker rather than leaving it to last min and causing tail backs

Quote Originally Posted by Imurg View Post
    First thing I was told when I started my ADI training was " Never, ever, say 'straight over' the roundabout because, sooner or later, someone will!!"
    And I've seen a learner do it��

I have a vivid memory of my mum telling my granddad to "turn right" at a roundabout...... so he did!! Thankfully, nothing coming!!
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Quote Originally Posted by pauljames87 View Post
    Not saying their right but lorry drivers I swear did this to force people to stay in left lane and in their eyes keep the traffic flowing

Wannabe coppers almost.. self elected kings of the road

However soon as I see a lane closure I want to get over and if everyone got over earlier we would move quicker rather than leaving it to last min and causing tail backs
    is the wrong answer!

The idea of using the outside lane as far as possible [to the cones] and then merging in alternatively is so that traffic does not tail back to further dangerous distances, hence why there may be 1 or 2 miles of warnings to allow enough traffic to be accepted over that distance.

It does not say to 'move over immediately' as soon as you see a warning for a lane closure causing a longer queue than is necessary and causing more potential dangerous issues further back!
    Member of http://www.coventrygolf.co.uk/

Hcp: 16.5

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    is the wrong answer!

The idea of using the outside lane as far as possible [to the cones] and then merging in alternatively is so that traffic does not tail back to further dangerous distances, hence why there may be 1 or 2 miles of warnings to allow enough traffic to be accepted over that distance.

It does not say to 'move over immediately' as soon as you see a warning for a lane closure causing a longer queue than is necessary and causing more potential dangerous issues further back!
    It's not the wrong answer. It's only half correct. What the road signs mean is to move over when it is safe and practical to do so. What you find is knobs driving like loonies above the speed limit in the lane that's going to close, then slamming on the anchors to get into the continuing lane at the last minute. The cascade breaking in the cars behind cause all the tailbacks.

You see the speed limit given is the one that will allow the optimal amount of cars through. It's there for a reason and it is never observed by these 'very helpful' people who use that closing lane right to the end.