Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Re: Idiots behind the wheel

Just as an aside, they are in the process of completing an 'electric highway' where electric vehicles can use the bus lane where I live, it's halfway finished and the bus lane is in operation.
    You should see the dirty filthy looks I get bombing down the bus lane.. perfectly legal ofc as my van is electric.
    Handicap 13.4 Ping G20 Driver MD 3 & 5 Woods Ping G20 Hybrid Ping G20 Irons 5 - U Cleveland RTX Cav 60 degree Wedge Odyssey Works Wide Versa Putter

Quote Originally Posted by Kellfire View Post
    I'm talking about places where, often after a roundabout, there are two lanes coming off the roundabout that then filter back into one lane after a couple of hundred yards.

The "outside" lane of the two is designed to stop traffic bunching up on the roundabout by allowing traffic on it to join in the two exit lanes. But people leave the second lane empty, presumably because they're scared of appearing to be jumping the queue. If people used it properly, both of those lanes would have similar numbers of people in it and you'd alternate at the head of the queue as to who goes next.

But people don't do that.

So no, I'm not selfish, I'm using the road correctly.
    And its merge in turn, but it was a waste of time trying to convince people last time too.
    Give it big humpties

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    And its merge in turn, but it was a waste of time trying to convince people last time too.
    And the fact that drivers have different attitudes to the situation and other drivers means that genuine 'merge in turn' rarely happens!
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    McGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei

Quote Originally Posted by Kellfire View Post
    My main gripe is when people refuse to use a filter lane because they think it looks rude. THEY EXIST FOR A REASON.

Yep, I'm that guy who speeds past you all and cuts back in at the top. Because that's what that lane is meant for!
    Here here
    H4H - HC Challenge

Khamelion 20.3 -> 20 (19.5)

Bazzatron 20 -> ???

Near to me, on the way out of watford is a road which is rammed with queueing cars. Half way up it is a set of traffic lights. The road near the lights widens to two lanes, for 30 yards either side of the lights. There is no reason for this.

Cars tend not to use the right hand lane here. They just dont.

So, 100 yards back, i can drive on the wrong side of the road, zip into the right hand lane at the lights, and then merge in turn.

I gain over about 30 cars, and get home a minimum of 30 seconds earlier.

Win!

Cheers for correcting me - I was confusing matters with my filter lane label. Haha.

I’ve learnt two things in my time driving...

Don’t get wound up by queue jumpers
    Generally don’t get wound up at all

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by murphthemog View Post
    Near to me, on the way out of watford is a road which is rammed with queueing cars. Half way up it is a set of traffic lights. The road near the lights widens to two lanes, for 30 yards either side of the lights. There is no reason for this.

So, 100 yards back, i can drive on the wrong side of the road, zip into the right hand lane at the lights, and then merge in turn.

I gain over about 30 cars, and get home a minimum of 30 seconds earlier.

Win!
    Very similar to my OP, isn't it great that these people manage to wind up 30 others in one go.

Win!

Quote Originally Posted by murphthemog View Post

But there is a reason for this, it's called "Intelligent Junction". There are lots of them and they are supposed to smooth the flow of traffic.

As above, there is similar near to where I live. There are 2 lanes, the right hand lane has a straight on arrow marked on the road and the left one has straight on and left arrow marked. Which means traffic can use left lane to either go straight on or turn left. Almost every one keeps in the right lane causing a unecessary queue.
    I will always keep left and pass the traffic - slowly - and then merge - slowly. I just dont see why drivers keep in the right lane.

If there are 2 lanes marked then use them and merge properly in turn - no hassle.
    Singing Hills Founders cup holder 2014 with JustOne - glad he was there!

These work if the lanes are long enough and people are considerate enough to allow merging
    We have junctions like these with Bus lanes either side of the lights, the two lanes last for a total of 200 metres - we're not allowed in bus lanes stall.
    They're simply not long enough and by the time you've merged into the left you're merging back out again...
    New junctions popping up all over the place with many more lanes than are necessary.
    All the ADI's in the town hate them with a vengeance - they've just created a speeding and overtaking zone.
    Epic 10°
    Fusion 3w 15°
    Big Bertha 5w 19°
    Big Bertha 4h 22°
    Launcher 5h 26°
    CF 16 6-PW
    Apex GW
    MD2 54/14 , 58/14c
    ProType 2-Ball

Handicap 7.7 at Whipsnade Park

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...