Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Re: Idiots behind the wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Kellfire View Post
    The lane on the right exists to stop the roundabout bunching up. But people don't use it for the reasons I've outlined.
    if you have two lane on a roundabout and 3 coming off it the filter lane is the one directing traffic back into it not the continuation of the two lanes of the two lanes
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Just out of interest, if you were on a dual carriageway and you saw a sign for roadworks with the right lane closed in half a mile, what would you do?
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Ryder Cup Winner

Filtering works well where I live.
    It only fails elsewhere when people who do not understand the science of filtering fail to let R/H lane users in.

BTW had a 'tourist' cut me up twice this morning on the same roundabout.
    Cutting across lanes. Once on the right and once on the left. What do they think lane lines are for.
    They were awarded by a very rare blast on my horn.

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    Just out of interest, if you were on a dual carriageway and you saw a sign for roadworks with the right lane closed in half a mile, what would you do?
    If I was faster than the traffic in the left lane, I'd continue in the right lane until closer to the roadworks but aim to move left in plenty of time to avoid the possibility of having to stop completely. Traffic conditions would dictate when I would move in.

There are no bad drivers and no slow golfers...

Yet somehow there were 1700 road deaths last year and 5 hour rounds! (not that the two should be compared....)
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Nooooo Bob don't go there.

I'll tell you how that will go. 85% of people, the polite ones, get into the left hand lane. The people who need to be tasered go down the right hand lane, barge in at the last minute, slow the whole blinkin process up but will come on here and tell you it is okay.

This always ends the same, never well.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Ping Cadence Anser W Putter

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    what you are on about isn't the filter lane.

the filter lane would be the one coming to the roundabout not after is. after it you are just in a lane
    Yes it is!

Note the curved arrow at the top of the 'Green' (Yellow?) lane.

I'm with Kellfire on this! When 2 lanes merge into a single one, then the traffic should be pretty much equally spread across the 2 lanes. Each vehicle in the lane that continues should allow 1 (and only 1!) vehicle to merge. This is what the 'Merge' sign indicates!

What actually tends to happen is cars in the continuing lane block those in the merging one, occasionally by actually moving partly into the merging one, and/or those in the merging lane push in further on than they 'have a right to'! It's not helped by those that have merged (early), allowing still others to merge in front of them - so the merging lane actually goes faster than the 'main' one! The varying 'poles' of participant motorist attitudes (either aggressive, 'defensive' or protective as opposed to 'understanding') is the actual cause of the inevitably less than optimum traffic flow!

I spent 15-18 months having to creep along the A21 to the M25 many years ago when the A21 was being widened. I tried to 'alternate'! Alternative routes, normally involving a round of golf, were a blessed relief!
    Last edited by Foxholer; 11-Oct-2017 at 15:45.
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    McGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei

Here's what The Highway Code states....

Rule 134
    You should follow the signs and road markings and get into the lane as directed. In congested road conditions do not change lanes unnecessarily. Merging in turn is recommended but only if safe and appropriate when vehicles are travelling at a very low speed, e.g. when approaching road works or a road traffic incident. It is not recommended at high speed.
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    McGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    yep and Undertaking is against the Highway code
    Actually I think he's referring to the 'merge in turn'' method which is recommended in the highway code.

http://www.infsq.co.uk/2011/02/merge-in-turn/

Known in other countries as the zip method.

Edit again.. Foxholer beat me to it.
    Last edited by Lazkir; 11-Oct-2017 at 16:45.
    Handicap 13.4 Ping G20 Driver MD 3 & 5 Woods Ping G20 Hybrid Ping G20 Irons 5 - U Cleveland RTX Cav 60 degree Wedge Odyssey Works Wide Versa Putter

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    Nooooo Bob don't go there.

I'll tell you how that will go. 85% of people, the polite ones, get into the left hand lane. The people who need to be tasered go down the right hand lane, barge in at the last minute, slow the whole blinkin process up but will come on here and tell you it is okay.

This always ends the same, never well.

It has been well researched, your way is the way that takes more time and also backs up the traffic further than it needs to be.
    Handicap 13.4 Ping G20 Driver MD 3 & 5 Woods Ping G20 Hybrid Ping G20 Irons 5 - U Cleveland RTX Cav 60 degree Wedge Odyssey Works Wide Versa Putter