Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Re: Idiots behind the wheel

Quote Originally Posted by murphthemog View Post
    Ahh, yes tashy, very similar experince on the M1 today for me.

Driving in the right hand lane, the guy in the middle lane, who is next to me slaps his indicators on, and pulls over, just, and i mean just, missing me. I horn him, and flash my lights. Not clever, bit flipping heck is he a twit.

He then bangs on the anchors, full on emergency style down to 30 odd, from near 80, to brake test me. Luckily there is no one behind.

He goes into the middle lane, i draw parallel and give him the finger. Not big, but a mistake. Clearly. As he goes into total mental road rage.

Seriously, this guy is nuts.

Tail gating from inches away, under takes stupidly close, and tries to ram me into the central barriers, so i am over the white line, next to the armco, brake hard, go to the middle lane, and then the left lane and drop down to 50 odd.

He swerves across, and pulls along side. He is full on screaming at me with his nose pretty much against the near side window, and then swerves at me, forcing me onto the hard shoulder. Inches from a collision.

Seriously? The guy should be in a psychiatric hospital, not driving. He is a nutter.
    Yeah sorry about that, I had a bad night 😜

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkermagnet View Post
    Agreed he is, but why oh why feel the need to retailiate with an obvious sign? I would say anyone who is prepared to brake test you like that (an illegal act) is very likely to react just as if not worse to your show of pleasure with your hand.
    Yeah, maybe, but massive over reaction.

Always nice to know its all my fault though. Could have been a 50 car pile up, all caused by a digit. Who would think it?

Quote Originally Posted by murphthemog View Post
    Yeah, maybe, but massive over reaction.

Always nice to know its all my fault though. Could have been a 50 car pile up, all caused by a digit. Who would think it?
    Didnt say it was your fault, just saying that with hindsight offering a visual response to that type of person normaly only gets a worse response than the original act.
    Forever trying.

I drive all over the country with work at all hours, circa 50k business miles a year.... by far and away, without no doubt, the single worst place for drivers is Birmingham.
    I was working just off broad street this week on nights and I have never witnessed such horrific, careless, needless and down right scary driving in my life. Idiots in HIGH powered cars doing 100mph+ on a 40mph road that has pedestrian crossings, blind junctions and right next to pubs & bars. I was very very close to canning the job in fear of one of my lads getting hit.
    HCP 2017: 3.5(4)
    Selby GC

Tour Rookie

Don't know how some people passed their test.
    The standard of driving now is abysmal IMO.
    Hogging lanes ,undertaking , no wonder they don't know how to treat filter lanes they can't drive on normal roads.
    The things I have seen drivers do trying to get out of the way of an ambulance at the lights in my street .
    Seen a young girl headphones in blues and twos right behind her , I had to knock on the window to tell her there was an ambulance behind her.

You have to have a new passport every ten years
    Maybe the time has come for retests what a scary thought.

Quote Originally Posted by clubchamp98 View Post
    Don't know how some people passed their test.
    The standard of driving now is abysmal IMO.
    Hogging lanes ,undertaking , no wonder they don't know how to treat filter lanes they can't drive on normal roads.
    The things I have seen drivers do trying to get out of the way of an ambulance at the lights in my street .
    Seen a young girl headphones in blues and twos right behind her , I had to knock on the window to tell her there was an ambulance behind her.

You have to have a new passport every ten years
    Maybe the time has come for retests what a scary thought.
    Not sure it’s that scary, if that’s what is required due to a lack of knowledge coupled with a huge increase of vehicles on the road and new/updated laws then so be it.

Government backed adverts shown at key times on tv showing and briefly explaining what current problems are being experienced on today’s roads would also go a long way to re educate people imo.

I do 1000 miles a week mainly on motorways but obviously come off them into towns and city’s all over the country and the lack of basic driving skills and knowledge is overwhelming, and the biggest issue is those people don’t think or know that they are doing anything wrong!

Bad habits can soon get engrained into everyday driving, so a complete overhaul of our ability to keep our licences and keep our roads as safe as possible has to be looked at, and if that means periodic retests then that can only be a good thing as safety on our busy roads must take precedent.

I can't help but feel ultimately it's down to a distinct lack of police patrolling in cars. Gone are the days when you had a good chance of being caught for any amount of motoring offences, now if you get caught by a patrolling cop car you are considered very unlucky (as regards finding the cop car, not for committing an offence)
    Forever trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkermagnet View Post
    I can't help but feel ultimately it's down to a distinct lack of police patrolling in cars. Gone are the days when you had a good chance of being caught for any amount of motoring offences, now if you get caught by a patrolling cop car you are considered very unlucky (as regards finding the cop car, not for committing an offence)
    I see plenty of marked and unmarked police cars daily on the roads, and see them on the hard shoulders whilst they have pulled drivers over, so they are out there

But that’s mainly for speeders & undertakers, they need to stop more middle lane hoggers and educate them with fines and points as these hoggers contribute to many of the problems and frustrations on the roads.

But then those drivers (hoggers) don’t know they are doing anything wrong, so should our police be prosecuters or advisors/teachers?

Ongoing education is needed as laws change and without direct education is ‘I didn’t know’ enough for an initial warning? How can the authorities prosecute if you are only expected to find out that’s it’s an offence to stay in a lane when not actually overtaking anything, I see hundreds a week!

Whilst on a run, I’d even up the use of a mobile phone at the wheel to an instant ban.

There’s still too many that ignore the law and with hands free Bluetooth accessories really cheap there’s no excuse to have a phone at your ear or be texting.

If the current penalties are not strong enough as theres clearly still too many ignoring the law, then rank it up to instant bans.

My view is that some form of retesting is required, and has been for years.
    I remember passing my test in 1983 and saying to my Dad that I couldn't believe it wouldn't need any sort of retest until I was 70.
    The authorities focus attention on new drivers as this is the group that has the highest number of crashes.
    It's true, they do.
    But why?
    I don't think it's because they're not trained enough or, necessarily that the test isn't hard enough - it's being updated in December.
    I think it's because they have to drive like the rest of the nutters in order to not be eaten alive.
    They see "experienced" drivers cutting corners, using incorrect lanes to jump queues, crashing red lights, not signalling, speeding because they're in a hurry...the list is endless. The new driver sees this and after trying to do things properly and getting cut up, decide they're going to copy the "experienced" driver and gets into difficulty. Experienced drivers have exactly that - experience. They know when to lift off, when to tap the brake, when to tweak the wheel an inch to avoid a crash. How many near misses do you get?
    More than you probably care to admit to.
    The kids don't have that experience and end up in a shunt.
    Retesting every 10 years is perfectly achievable.
    Most of us age the photocard licence these days. Those that haven't should be made to.
    It needs to be renewed every 10 years.
    6 months before expiry, a letter/email goes out informing you that you need to have some form of retest with some form of examiner, either existing examiners or driving instructors or whoever, in the next 6 months.
    If you don't get the retest and your form isn't signed then you don't get to renew your licence.
    Simple.

I put this to the Chief Executive of the DSA, as was - it's now DVSA - about 10 years ago.
    She dismissed it instantly - and the fact that it would cost too much wasn't the primary reason.
    The primary reason was that " it would take too many drivers off the road"
    Is that a bad thing? If they're incompetent should they be on the road?

They don't want retesting. Apart from the cost, many hundreds of thousands would fail and not be on the road, buying fuel, paying taxes...
    If anything, driving standards will continue to fall. People are more and more in too much of a hurry and have lost any respect for other road users.
    We have become a Me, Me, Me society.. nobody cares about what consequences their actions have and it ain't gonna change anytime soon.

Sometimes I get home after work and sit there wondering why I bother doing what I do.....
    Epic 10°
    Big Bertha 3w 15°
    Big Bertha 5w 19°
    Big Bertha 4h 22°
    Launcher 5h 26°
    Legacy Black V 6-PW
    X 50/12
    MD2 54/14 , 58/14c
    ProType 2-Ball/TT3

Handicap 7.7 at Whipsnade Park

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

"Whilst on a run, I’d even up the use of a mobile phone at the wheel to an instant ban."

Which would immediately take about 70% of the white vans off the road.