Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Re: Idiots behind the wheel

I find it quite bemusing that we get people on here talking about slow play and calling through groups behind, 'What gives me the right to hold them up' but the same people completely change personality behind the wheel of a car and think they are entitled to jump queues, push others back down the queue, hold them up etc because of their selfish behaviour.

Bizarre!

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hovis View Post
    no it's not. filter lanes are designed to allow you to get upto speed before you join the carriage way to reduce the impact on the traffic already travelling at speed. if the traffic is stand still you should join the traffic as soon as possible. not use the filter lane to progress down the queue ahead of everyone
    Though on this - my experience of North Lancashire M6 traffic police of a few years ago was interesting. Was rejoining the M6 from services late one afternoon and looking to join I was looking straight into a low sun - I couldn't see a thing. Traffic was moving fast. I just couldn't see. As I approached the end of the slip road I slowed right down - and just as the car behind me was flashing me I saw my chance and joined. That car behind me then switched on it's blue lights and pulled me across onto the hard shoulder. What I had done was extremely dangerous - other vehicles joining would not have expected me to be nearly stopped - as I couldn't see I should just have driven down the hard shoulder until I could see to join.

Of course before I was so informed and warned about dangerous driving (I wasn't charged but could have been) the police officer had a quick word with my wife...why? Well when the car behind had started flashing me she'd flung a few quick Vs over her shoulder to the driver - oops
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done

The practice of Merging is easily understandable when there are other junctions/slip roads etc nearby and better still when the council put up the ‘Use both lanes, merge in turn’ signage.

Otherwise getting into single file as soon as possible allows the traffic to continue through the transition from 2 to 1 lane at best speed

The trouble starts when the slowing Q size is just increasing. At some critical point when there are only a handful of cars slowing in the same lane, the Q jumper will pull out to pass a handful and either cut in or indicate and move across causing the handful to brake to a near stop and suddenly it’s now two handfuls of cars because the pace has dropped but it’s still not really enough cars to warrant the second handful of vehicles moving out into the second lane to zip merge… but its sure big enough for another jumper to pull the same stunt… and it doubles again

Now (& it’s only because of the actions of jumpers 1&2, as the actual volume isn’t really heavy enough yet to warrant both lanes being used) however the merging should now start, but no one really knows who’s responsible for starting the split to two lanes because it’s not really that busy and anyway communicating to those behind that they should follow suit is impossible.
    So the guy who goes for it looks like a jumper and perhaps unsurprisingly is treated as one by the Q so when he does manage to cut in the Q length just gets bigger but fearful of similar retribution the 3rd and 4th handfuls now stay put and it’s now up to the guys (who are 40 cars back) to lead the way because the risk/reward is in their favour but it’s still not enough guys to form two lanes but the Q gets bigger when they cut in… then our heroes emerge…. from 300 yards back, those Knights of the road waving their Highway Code out the window like Excalibur, with the pages flapping open at Section: SEEIFICARE, Paragraph: GIRUY (because they know in their hearts that this is good sound road right there not being used and we should all merge at the cones) and no way is their motivation to simply save time for themselves, these are selfless Audi & BMW drivers who only want to see everyone get home a little quicker and if their penance is to get home before all us numpties in the other lane.... then so be it…
    (in truth they’d be horrified to arrive at that junction the next day and see both lanes in full use with everyone happily merging, they actually count on the traffic queuing in one lane to get home ‘in time’)

There’s a difference between Merging in Turn and Queue Jumping, and examples of correct merging are then used by offenders to try and justify their queue jumping
    Last edited by Slab; 12-Oct-2017 at 11:11.

^^ Bluddy hell, after 72 posts someone has got it spot on!

Quote Originally Posted by drive4show View Post
    I find it quite bemusing that we get people on here talking about slow play and calling through groups behind, 'What gives me the right to hold them up' but the same people completely change personality behind the wheel of a car and think they are entitled to jump queues, push others back down the queue, hold them up etc because of their selfish behaviour.

Bizarre!
    Your entire post is null because it's you who doesn't understand how these lanes are supposed to be used and you'd happily see traffic back up right onto a roundabout, blocking people using other unaffected exits, because of your ignorance.
    2015 = Worst golf season in memory - End handicap 15.2 - now with added 1.0 after review = 16.2

Quote Originally Posted by Kellfire View Post
    Your entire post is null because it's you who doesn't understand how these lanes are supposed to be used and you'd happily see traffic back up right onto a roundabout, blocking people using other unaffected exits, because of your ignorance.
    Show me where I said that please?

Show me where I said that please?
    It's clear from your posts.
    2015 = Worst golf season in memory - End handicap 15.2 - now with added 1.0 after review = 16.2

Re: the debate over two lanes merging. For what it's worth!

The correct way is to use all road space available and merge sensibly at the merge point. However, most people in this country aren't prepared to do it, because the British way is to queue and wait your turn. So as a result you often have a long line of people queuing in the inside lane and causing delays - while hundreds of yards of outside lane lays empty. And you get the occasional person heading down the outside and merging at the front, with all those on the inside huffing and puffing at the perceived "pushing in".

If you're a "queuer" by nature and doggedly think you're doing the correct thing, try to look at it like this. Firstly, examine the way you think is right.

Let's assume there are 100 cars needing to get through that merge point. By your "queueing" method, everyone should patiently line up in order, 1-100. When 101 arrives at the back, he should merge behind 100. And so on for numbers 102, 103 and so on. So the queue gets longer and longer and longer down the road and more and more outside lane road space goes un-used. Delays start way further back as everyone gets into their "rightful" position.

Let's say 101 is one of the people you view as an "A-hole" and decides not to queue and heads up to the front - you all perceive him as a queue jumper, doing the wrong thing. Some people doggedly refuse to let him in, but he gets in somewhere without waiting too long.

Now try to look at it a different way instead. The right way.

Instead of numbers 1-100 patiently queuing up in the left lane, everyone tries the "zipper" method. Number 1 stays in the left lane, number 2 goes into the right lane, number 3 in lhe left, number 4 in the right and so on. Everyone proceeds like this at a sensible speed and when they approach the merge point, they merge like a zipper. 2 goes behind 1, 3 goes behind 2, 4 goes behind 3 and so on.

Doing it this way, everyone gets through much quicker because queues don't start as far back down the road. This is the way it's SUPPOSED to be done. And perhaps best of all for some of you - number 101 can't possibly bomb up the outside and "push in". He has to wait "his turn" like everyone else.

Alright, in reality it wouldn't work exactly like that, with cars merging perfectly one at a time. But if people were more aware that this is the way to do it, it would work best for everyone.

However, as I've said above, British people in general simply cannot and/or will not get their head around this. The only way things might change would be if there was some sort of sustained official ad campaign demonstrating it and more info out there.

Until then though, you'll get 1-100 queuing on the inside huffing and puffing about 101 "pushing in". 1-100 need to realise they're driving in a way that allows 101 to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kellfire View Post
    It's clear from your posts.
    Really?? You are just making things up now to suit your own point of view.

Really?? You are just making things up now to suit your own point of view.
    Why call people selfish for behaving correctly then?