Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Re: Idiots behind the wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Imurg View Post
    First thing I was told when I started my ADI training was " Never, ever, say 'straight over' the roundabout because, sooner or later, someone will!!"
    And I've seen a learner do it😨
    That genuinely made me lol yeah there are some numpties out there.

I was talking to the Mrs the other day when we were driving and I said that you just need to think about the amount of "idiot's" you meet in life....people that you wonder how they get through life.... And to think that most of those have the ability to get in their tin cans and drive at 70+mph. Scary.

This thread just highlights how many inconsiderate people there are in our society.

I'm alright Jack!

Quote Originally Posted by drive4show View Post
    This thread just highlights how many inconsiderate people there are in our society.

I'm alright Jack!
    I know. Idiot left lane hoggers, causing tailbacks and congestion at roundabouts!
    2015 = Worst golf season in memory - End handicap 15.2 - now with added 1.0 after review = 16.2

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    is the wrong answer!

The idea of using the outside lane as far as possible [to the cones] and then merging in alternatively is so that traffic does not tail back to further dangerous distances, hence why there may be 1 or 2 miles of warnings to allow enough traffic to be accepted over that distance.

It does not say to 'move over immediately' as soon as you see a warning for a lane closure causing a longer queue than is necessary and causing more potential dangerous issues further back!
    OK, own up. What have you done with the real Fish? Far too intelligent!
    Give it big humpties

Quote Originally Posted by HowlingGale View Post
    It's not the wrong answer. It's only half correct. What the road signs mean is to move over when it is safe and practical to do so. What you find is knobs driving like loonies above the speed limit in the lane that's going to close, then slamming on the anchors to get into the continuing lane at the last minute. The cascade breaking in the cars behind cause all the tailbacks.

You see the speed limit given is the one that will allow the optimal amount of cars through. It's there for a reason and it is never observed by these 'very helpful' people who use that closing lane right to the end.
    Does it, where is that disclosed?

I haven't said anything about speed, the 'zipper merge' is recommended by all agencies and is a quicker and safer method. The lane which is closed some 1 mile or 800 yards further down the road won't be empty if everyone used it and then merged at the point of closure!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/3892...t-is-annoying/

I'm now starting to see extra signs alongside the countdown markers to a lane closure that state to 'use both lanes', in other words, use the lanes until you reach the closure than merge in alternatively to not create a longer than is needed tailback! By doing this both lanes are moving slowly and it allows a simple and safe merge.

Does it, where is that disclosed?

I haven't said anything about speed, the 'zipper merge' is recommended by all agencies and is a quicker and safer method. The lane which is closed some 1 mile or 800 yards further down the road won't be empty if everyone used it and then merged at the point of closure!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/3892...t-is-annoying/

I'm now starting to see extra signs alongside the countdown markers to a lane closure that state to 'use both lanes', in other words, use the lanes until you reach the closure than merge in alternatively to not create a longer than is needed tailback! By doing this both lanes are moving slowly and it allows a simple and safe merge.
    The highway code states that you do not overtake unless it's safe and legal to do so. It also states that when overtaking you do not cut in on the vehicle you have overtaken. In my experience, every time, the numpties zooming up the outside lane are not doing it safely as they're exceeding the speed limit, and they then cut in at the last minute invariably breaking too hard to meet the speed of the traffice who are going at the speed limit.

The highway code states that you do not overtake unless it's safe and legal to do so. It also states that when overtaking you do not cut in on the vehicle you have overtaken. In my experience, every time, the numpties zooming up the outside lane are not doing it safely as they're exceeding the speed limit, and they then cut in at the last minute invariably breaking too hard to meet the speed of the traffice who are going at the speed limit.
    Your whole argument is based on the lane being empty and vehicles speeding, if both lanes are used correctly it wouldn't be empty as it would be equal with vehicles moving at the same or a similar speed and then merging at the point of closure.

Nobody is overtaking at speed in these circumstances unsafely, they are using a lane which is open and available until it is closed!

The problems are caused by people not using the lane which is open and available correctly and creating a greater tailback than is necessary.

Your whole argument is based on the lane being empty and vehicles speeding, if both lanes are used correctly it wouldn't be empty as it would be equal with vehicles moving at the same or a similar speed and then merging at the point of closure.

Nobody is overtaking at speed in these circumstances unsafely, they are using a lane which is open and available until it is closed!

The problems are caused by people not using the lane which is open and available correctly and creating a greater tailback than is necessary.
    I never said you were wrong. Yes if used correctly use the outside lane until it is safe and practical to move. Nowhere does it say use the lane that is about to close right up to the point that the cones appear, exceeding the speed limit and causing more tailbacks due to excessive breaking, causing the cascade effect. 100% of the time that lane is used by the nutters that think they're Lewis Hamilton and are more important than everyone else. I have never witnessed anything different.

I never said you were wrong. Yes if used correctly use the outside lane until it is safe and practical to move. Nowhere does it say use the lane that is about to close right up to the point that the cones appear, exceeding the speed limit and causing more tailbacks due to excessive breaking, causing the cascade effect. 100% of the time that lane is used by the nutters that think they're Lewis Hamilton and are more important than everyone else. I have never witnessed anything different.
    Your excessive braking claim wouldn't cause tailbacks because those "speeding" who probably aren't speeding, they're just maintaining their speed in the free lane in comparison to the clogged up left lane, will only be slowing down to the speed needed to merge.
    2015 = Worst golf season in memory - End handicap 15.2 - now with added 1.0 after review = 16.2

Tour Rookie

I have seen the following signs recent!y
    "Use both lanes and merge in turn "
    Works well and uses all the road