Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Re: How's Your Course Holding Up?

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    course is OK, greens running well considering.... only temporary. course closed for 3 days next week for Hollow tine and winter maintenance.

so rubbish for the next 6 months
    Does Nairn still use the large times?
    Our course gets micro tined a few times over the year. That doesn't really affect the greens except for a day or two.

Dunbar is immaculate as it should hopefully be throughout the winter.

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    They've punched a load of holes in the green before last weekend (dunno what you call that - looks like a ski slope) which slowed them right up. I'm sure there's a need for it though. Rest of the course is fine. It was open all of last winter (only closed when fog reduced visibility too much) so hopefully same again this year.
    If it's very fine holes that do not get filled with sand it's verti tining, it improves drainage and aids de-compaction. If it's big holes that later get filled with sand/soil and seed it's hollow ting which is done to brake up compaction, aerate the grass, adds more seed and sand and help drainage.

We do both types several times a year. Some courses also do slitting to break up compaction.

Money List Winner

Was on about this to our head green keeper today re a course having nine holes closed. He was not Suprised. Said it has been a real crap year for rain, said we have had far to much. The sprinklers have been on during the night only ten time this year, where as last year he lost count how many times they were on.

slightly off topic. Our tees we're hollow tinned last week the cores were dumped, I brought two bags home today for the front garden. It is the best soil I have ever had me hands on. Another couple of bags will be rescued on Thursday.

Considering the 130mm rain Bolton Old Links had in September the course has held up incredibly well. Greens are Amazing

Q-School Graduate

Taught our club a lesson today 'why us greenies don't cut wet grass' they insisted we cut the fairways this morning, place looks a rite shithole now, clods of grass and brown tyre marks all over the place, we did say, they didn't listen...

Winter rules are in play, buggies are on the precipice of being banned, the grass is still piss wet till well after lunch and the ground is becoming softer by the day...
    Last edited by Face breaker; 10-Oct-2017 at 19:30.
    Wilson Deep-Red 3-wood (Fatshaft) King Cobra 7 wood. Macgregor DX 22* hybrid. 5-SW King Cobra 3100i/h. Maxfli 60*. Tour Edge 50*. Ping C67 putter...

Quote Originally Posted by The Boxman View Post
    Considering the 130mm rain Bolton Old Links had in September the course has held up incredibly well. Greens are Amazing
    Totally agree, the greens really are fantastic and the rest of the course has held up well considering the relentless rain the area has had recently.

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by Tashyboy View Post
    Was on about this to our head green keeper today re a course having nine holes closed. He was not Suprised. Said it has been a real crap year for rain, said we have had far to much. The sprinklers have been on during the night only ten time this year, where as last year he lost count how many times they were on.

slightly off topic. Our tees we're hollow tinned last week the cores were dumped, I brought two bags home today for the front garden. It is the best soil I have ever had me hands on. Another couple of bags will be rescued on Thursday.
    A course I was once a member of used to use the cores to level off Tee's and build new Tee's with then. Compact them and leave them. By spring they had absolutely immaculate surfaces which cost them nothing to build.
    Paul Lawrie - The King of Scottish Golf

As ever course condition depends mainly upon the levels of rain and what the course is built on (which drives most drainage) and i play 4 quite regularly.

First one is as ever pretty wet (river runs down one side) and several holes on the course is part of the flood plain and winter rules on from October 3rd. They also let the rough grow 3 to 5 inches and it is horrible due to how wet it is - hit it straight !

Other 2 heathland built on sand are surprise, surprise quite dry and no winter rules yet - worst thing is worm casts on the fairways and watching for the leaves falling which is gathering pace.

Fourth course built on clay so bad they are on winter rules and were temporarily allowing relief in the rough last week (clearly non quals before the rules police jump on it) but back to normal winter rules now.

Assistant Pro

My local course is still playing extremely well. A few wet holes and very wet underfoot in places on the fairway but the greens are fantatsic after work conducted over the last month or so and play is still very good for this time of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by KenL View Post
    Does Nairn still use the large times?
    Our course gets micro tined a few times over the year. That doesn't really affect the greens except for a day or two.

Dunbar is immaculate as it should hopefully be throughout the winter.
    Yes. they do large core ever other year so we are due large core. last year was Graden, which is less invasive, but went over them all a couple of weeks later with the large spike machine which was worse than them being hollow tined TBH
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017