Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: How's Your Course Holding Up?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazyface View Post
    My place shut the back nine on October 5th and is still shut. It seems we only have half a course to play on for 50% of the year.
    How's you place doing? Open and good/a bit damp/like a swamp?

I'm keeping a check on our place and local courses to ours this year.
    I'd be off like a shot if I could only play half a course for 50% of the year

My course is holding up well. Bit damp in a few places but the greens have had maintenance recently and bounced back and are in fantastic condition, to the point where people like the Jamega tour approached us to hold a second event this year as they were so impressed first time. Reasonably quick ant around 10 and roll like a dream. Leaves are beginning to be a pain in a few places but that aside, very happy with it

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post

If a course has 9 holes closed due to being too wet then it must be on a clay with shocking or no drainage
    Think some parts of the country have been very unlucky with the weather Phil.

We have had it very lucky here as the both courses are very good, the Hotchkin greens have had work done and its taken a couple of weeks longer to get them back due to the colder than average temperature.

Played Alwoodley last week and it was very wet, standing water and the rough was very wet and hard work in some parts of the course, Manchester yesterday and it was again quite wet, the tee boxes were very wet and they did well to make the course playable.

Its going to be a long winter for some courses this year.
    10 hcp and rising.

Our course drains pretty well, usually. There are only 2 spots on the fairways which are notoriously wet, and now, with the relatively large amount of rain during the last week some of the other fairways do feel a bit muddy underfoot, but all in all it remains very playable. Preferred lies since the beginning of this month. The greens are excellent (and normally remain in play during winter as long as there is no frost). Tees will move to mats soon, I suppose. Bunkers tend to collect some water. Leaves are starting to be a nuissance, making it hard to find the ball (even on the fairway, sometimes), since we do have a lot of large trees.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra Baffler XL 3 & 7 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 4 Hybrid, MacGregor V-Foil M455 irons 5 - SW, Cleveland Black 60, Odyssey White Hot putter

Played on Sunday and the course was quite soft in places. There has been some very wet weather recently, but, I was surprised just how much the course had changed in the past few weeks. Greens were still putting well, but further greens work scheduled this week. Leaves starting to fall now as well, so, some leaf strewn greens to deal with. Autumn and winter aren't the best times for a parkland course.

Ours is open although we have had lots of rain, some places are more than just damp. Greens are still very good though, was talking to our head green keeper who was very frustrated by the amount of rain we have had. He thinks this summer has been the wettest he can remember.
    Handicap 14.6 I don't believe it !
    In the bag

Driver Ping Rapture 12 deg
    3 wood Ping G25
    5 wood Ping G25
    GW-5i AP2s 710
    Hybrids RBZ -25
    Putter Rife two bar hybrid
    Club www.hazelgrovegolfclub.com

Course is looking great and greens the best of the year so far imo. Kind of a shame that the long awaited bunker project means some holes closed and/or temp tees and greens but the work they are doing looks amazing. Huge project which has been 2 years in the planning and can't wait for it all to be in play next year - some holes will be very different and require a very different strategy.

Oh, they're also dredging one of the ponds and that does look a right mess!

Mine is immaculate, as per usual.
    • Gog Magog Golf Club Member
    • Woodford Golf Club Member
    • TaylorMade M1 Driver, 9 stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 3 Wood, 14 stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 5 Wood, 19 stiff
    • Mizuno MP59 4-PW, Project X 6.0
    • Vokey SM5 wedges (52, 55, 60)
    • TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
    • Titleist Pro V1 ball

My place is doing very well, greens are lovely and for the medal on Saturday they were double cut and ironed. Good enough for me to get 3 birdies

Quote Originally Posted by Yant View Post
    Mine is immaculate, as per usual.
    Where do you play?
    10 hcp and rising.

Quote Originally Posted by drive4show View Post
    My place is doing very well, greens are lovely and for the medal on Saturday they were double cut and ironed. Good enough for me to get 3 birdies
    20 ft gimmees again
    10 hcp and rising.