Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Impact snaps

Impact snaps

My 8iron head snapped off on impact on the first today.

This is third club this has happened to me this summer. I had my 7i reshafted a couple of months back after it flew off on a fairway bunker shot. Exactly the same thing happened a month later with my 5i - different fairway bunker. A few weeks on and today's differed in that it was just out of the soft semi rough.

I also had to reshafted my 6i a couple of years ago when the same thing happened.

So that's 4 irons from the 4-P which have failed me since purchasing in 2012. I am not happy. Not happy at all.
    913D2 10.5 | 913F 15 | G15-H 17
    712U 3 | 712CB 4-6 | 712MB 7-P
    SM3 52.08 58.12 | Newport 2 '08

Tour Winner

Re: Impact snaps

i had this when i played titleist clubs too

Quote Originally Posted by hovis View Post
    i had this when i played titleist clubs too
    What did you do - suck it up or kick up stink?

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by the smiling assassin View Post
    What did you do - suck it up or kick up stink?
    my 7 iron snapped within a month of purchase and titlest fixed it. a few weeks later my 9 iron snapped. whilst the 9 iron was away for repair my 6 iron snapped. i told titleist i wasn't happy and wanted to send them the remaining clubs to have them reshafted. they said no and they would only fix them after they snapped.

i sold my clubs and haven't used i titleist product in 5 years. i have just bought a set of ap2 718 though

What shafts did you have?

Only ever had one shaft snap on impact - a TT Dynalite in a 6 iron over 20 years ago.....
    Multiple snaps from a set of clubs implies a dodgy batch of shafts does it not.....
    Epic 10°
    Big Bertha 3w 15°
    Big Bertha 5w 19°
    Big Bertha 4h 22°
    Launcher 5h 26°
    Legacy Black V 6-PW
    X 50/12
    MD2 54/14 , 58/14c
    ProType 2-Ball/TT3

Handicap 7.7 at Whipsnade Park

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by the smiling assassin View Post
    What shafts did you have?
    dg s300

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Imurg View Post
    Only ever had one shaft snap on impact - a TT Dynalite in a 6 iron over 20 years ago.....
    Multiple snaps from a set of clubs implies a dodgy batch of shafts does it not.....
    this would seem logical. i did notice that there was a lot of rust inside the shaft when inspecting them. titleist said it because i probably put a tee peg into the hole at the end of the grip thus allowing moisture to get into the shaft!!!!! after a month?

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by hovis View Post
    this would seem logical. i did notice that there was a lot of rust inside the shaft when inspecting them. titleist said it because i probably put a tee peg into the hole at the end of the grip thus allowing moisture to get into the shaft!!!!! after a month?
    One of the things I have become a bit fanatical about these days when doing regrips is to ensure the butt end of the shaft is completely taped over and after washing the grip I always put the clubs grip side down.

I have had about 6 shafts breakages and but that is over 40 years of play. I have put it down the size of divots I take and hitting range mats. One breakage was definitely my own fault for failing to ensure a loose ferrule was not resecured and the shaft rusted out where it went in to the head.

I used to get the old shafts from the pro to use as plant supports but he says he vary rarely has any to do these days as the quality of shafts has improved so much.

Thanks for the answers all.
    I've had a look inside the shafts and there is some very minor rust spots on the outside under where the ferrule used to be (a few tiny flecks) none visible inside.

The snaps are very clean - the 5i about 5mm above the top edge of the clubhead, the 8i right on the joint.

Tempted to take them somewhere for a 2nd opinion.