Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36
  1. #11
    Journeyman Pro
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Yeovil
    Posts
    1,975

    Re: You must attend the presentation :-(

    Years ago the Captain paid for all the prizes on his 'Day' it was always a requirement that you had to be there to get the prize. His Competition his prizes his rules.

    One of low handicappers had a real grump when he found his prize was given to someone else who had bothered to attend the prize giving.

    Last Open I played in there were twelve prizes and only 3 pairs stayed to accept their winnings. The winners from 50 miles away who had gone out early and stayed all day, and two pairs who were members of the club.

  2. #12
    Grand Slam Winner Liverpoolphil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    27,302

    Re: You must attend the presentation :-(

    Was the situation known when you signed up to the Comp ?

    Can understand it sometimes that they would like people to be there for Presentation but not when itís not a shotgun start - thatís a bit silly. None of the Opens I have played in have demanded that you must be there for the presentation and any prize I have won has been posted or been picked up for me

  3. #13
    Money List Winner
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    salford
    Posts
    5,941

    Re: You must attend the presentation :-(

    There are a few ladies opens that have a presentation, most will post out the winnings, the others are fine as long as you give your apologies that you cant attend.
    Ping Driver
    WS woods
    Orka irons
    Vokey wedges
    Odyssey putter

    Handicap 2012 34>19.4, 2013>15.4, 2014>11.9, 2015>10.0, 2016<11.6, 2017>10.8

    2018 <11.6>11.0

    http://www.ellesmeregolfclub.co.uk/index.php

  4. #14
    Challenge Tour Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    527

    Re: You must attend the presentation :-(

    Read a letter in another golf magazine of a winner on a Captains day got disqualified for not attending the prize giving.

  5. #15
    Head Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    373

    Re: You must attend the presentation :-(

    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    Was the situation known when you signed up to the Comp ?

    Can understand it sometimes that they would like people to be there for Presentation but not when itís not a shotgun start - thatís a bit silly. None of the Opens I have played in have demanded that you must be there for the presentation and any prize I have won has been posted or been picked up for me
    No info on presentation till we signed in at 9.25am and read the sheet on prizes etc. The one thing the club don't do well tbh.

    Luckily well unlucky my 3 putt on 18 cost me the win and I slipped to 3rd with three tied on countback. So 3rd wasn't worth the trip back for a voucher. Looking at the pics nobody else turned up other than winner and late starters.

    We have a monthly presentation set in the diary for monthly winners which is good 👍
    2018: 5.8 > current 5.8 (year best 4.8)
    2017: 8.1 > 5.8
    2016: 12.0 > 8.1
    Handicap 2015: Restarted August :-)

  6. #16
    Tour Winner Crow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Leicestershire
    Posts
    4,391

    Re: You must attend the presentation :-(

    Quote Originally Posted by OnTour View Post
    No info on presentation till we signed in at 9.25am and read the sheet on prizes etc. The one thing the club don't do well tbh.

    Luckily well unlucky my 3 putt on 18 cost me the win and I slipped to 3rd with three tied on countback. So 3rd wasn't worth the trip back for a voucher. Looking at the pics nobody else turned up other than winner and late starters.

    We have a monthly presentation set in the diary for monthly winners which is good 👍
    Being in the penultimate group I was at the presentation, as far as I can tell there was no requirement to attend in order to collect your prize so you'll receive your voucher.
    No jacket and tie was required either, even the Captain presenting the prizes was dressed in a polo shirt.

    The only comp at the club where you need to attend in order to collect your prize is the Fur & Feather, where most entrants hang around at the club anyway as it's a social/drinking event as much as anything, so you've been warned!
    Clubs - Various wooden woods. xVarious bladed irons. xVarious strange old putters. xxxIt's not all about the score. xx
    Handicap - 12.6
    2018 HFH Handicap Challenge vs Richart & Bigfoot

  7. #17
    Money List Winner
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    9,024

    Re: You must attend the presentation :-(

    Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Being in the penultimate group I was at the presentation, as far as I can tell there was no requirement to attend in order to collect your prize so you'll receive your voucher.
    No jacket and tie was required either, even the Captain presenting the prizes was dressed in a polo shirt.

    The only comp at the club where you need to attend in order to collect your prize is the Fur & Feather, where most entrants hang around at the club anyway as it's a social/drinking event as much as anything, so you've been warned!
    Hmmm - Very much 2 sides to the story then!

    On the wider aspects I believe it depends on the event; and organisers have a responsibility to both communicate and make arrangements appropriate.

    Simple example would be where the prize table is sponsored and there's a sponsors message involved. Here they should ensure everyone gets in within an hour of each other, that catering is arranged promptly etc etc to my mind this is the only time it's really justified.

    If clubs want to do it then shotgun start and immediate prize giving - anything else and it is unreasonable to expect everybody to be able to commit unlimited hours; it's that simple. To withhold first prize from someone who's never won anything before and has headed off to hospital because his wife's gone into labour isn't in the spirit of inclusive golf activity (the reason is irrelevant, it's a point of principle).

    You may not disqualify someone for not attending the prize giving, so the winner is always the winner - but you can always muck around with the prizes as long as you set out the conditions before play starts (although you should set them out before entries are accepted!)
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

    12.2 and moving the wrong way again...

  8. #18
    Journeyman Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    1,608

    Re: You must attend the presentation :-(

    Maybe this is why I have played lots of opens this year where the sheet has not been full.
    We travel a lot to play and have always received vouchers etc in the post or collected next time we played.
    Jacket and tie yes in majors! but just for a run of the mill open day no.

  9. #19
    Tour Winner upsidedown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    3,594

    Re: You must attend the presentation :-(

    Played a lot this year, most over an hour away and vouchers were sent on for our winnings. There was one where we I had a NP prize and they let me pick it up before main presentation as we had to go.

  10. #20
    Head Pro
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Location
    Midlands
    Posts
    373

    Re: You must attend the presentation :-(

    Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    Being in the penultimate group I was at the presentation, as far as I can tell there was no requirement to attend in order to collect your prize so you'll receive your voucher.
    No jacket and tie was required either, even the Captain presenting the prizes was dressed in a polo shirt.

    The only comp at the club where you need to attend in order to collect your prize is the Fur & Feather, where most entrants hang around at the club anyway as it's a social/drinking event as much as anything, so you've been warned!
    Crow you a member or visitor ?

    Happily received my £70 voucher for 3rd, and viewing the pic on twitter very casual presentation as you said 👍 stress over tbf I'd started on my Friday Stella intake so probably best stay at home 😱
    2018: 5.8 > current 5.8 (year best 4.8)
    2017: 8.1 > 5.8
    2016: 12.0 > 8.1
    Handicap 2015: Restarted August :-)

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News