Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Machrihanish ?

Machrihanish ?

A few of us [6 or 8 ], are debating about going for a couple of games , possibly flying, staying for one or maybe 2 nights. Sometime near the end of April 2018.
    Any advice re travel, accommodation and what courses to book, would be most welcome.
    Thanks in advance
    Billy.
    handicap 15.5 sadly now 16.5

Re: Machrihanish ?

Great place for a golf trip. I've always driven it, which can be long and a bit frustrating if you get stuck in traffic but very manageable.

Stay at Ugadale hotel (or cottages) in Machrihanish and play Machrihanish and Mach Dunes. Dunaverty isn't in the same league but a good fun course if you want another option.

Or if you want a bit more option for pubs etc stay in Campbeltown - we stayed in the Royal Hotel there which was fine too.
    Callaway X2 Hot Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3/5 Woods
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Hybrid
    TaylorMade R11 Irons 4-SW
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

Handicap: 2.5

There is a reason why the Fairway Dodger hits it like a girl!

Journeyman Pro

I played Machrihanish Dunes 2 years ago. Drove down for a 11am tee off(4+ hour drive), played my round then drove home 😂. The course was pretty good but I've heard the Championship course is meant to be the mutts nuts.
    Cobra King LTD Pro Driver
    Cobra King LTD 4 Wood
    Mizuno MP-H5 2 Iron
    Mizuno MP-4 Irons (4-PW)
    Cobra King Versatile Wedges (52,58)
    Scotty Cameron Newport Beach 1.5 Putter

Handicap : 7.7

http://www.broomieknowe.com

Ryder Cup Winner

Quote Originally Posted by FairwayDodger View Post
    Great place for a golf trip. I've always driven it, which can be long and a bit frustrating if you get stuck in traffic but very manageable.

Stay at Ugadale hotel (or cottages) in Machrihanish and play Machrihanish and Mach Dunes. Dunaverty isn't in the same league but a good fun course if you want another option.

Or if you want a bit more option for pubs etc stay in Campbeltown - we stayed in the Royal Hotel there which was fine too.
    What she said.

The cottages are very good, they’ll each take 4 people, full kitchen facilities in them

Quote Originally Posted by FairwayDodger View Post

Thanks Karen, cottages seem the favourite ATM, but early days yet.
    handicap 15.5 sadly now 16.5

Best deals are stay at dunes resort with golf chucked in. Try n play dunes at least twice to take it in. ( took me a few rounds love it) also try the old mach has some nice holes but poor last few ( due to its history) dunaverty is a fun course have fun . Also the folk u go with make it , Val FD brilliant weekend. Also dont be suprised if u fancy joining one of them. Its been known to happen
    www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk/
    https://twitter.com/IrvineGC

Machrihanish Dunes Golf Club

Adams Xtd 12 degree driver
    Adams xtd 18 degree fairway

Adams Super DHY 24 stiff
    Mizuno MX 200 5-Pw PX 5.5
    Mizuno MPR 12 Black 50/06
    Mizuno MPR 12 54
    Srixon WG 504 58/8
    Scotty Cameron 2012 California Fastback
    Winter putter ping nome!!

and a v easy owner

handicap 12

Can't really add to the above all good advice. Played the Campbeltown open at the dunes two three years ago and having only seen the course the day before I was gutted not to break 80 but hey ho. Longish drive to get there but if the weathers good the views are worth it. We stayed at the cottages, top class.
    Practice, you only get out what you put in, but I'm having second thoughts. In my bag this week Callaway driver, 3 and 5 wood. Titleist 909 21 degree utility, Titleist 909 19 degree utility with TM Vsteel 5 wood shaft, Srixon Z 745/945 irons Nippon shafts, Vokey 200 series wedges 50 and 58. Odyssey works cruiser putter, Prov1x, HC 5.
    www.royalmusselburgh.co.uk
    www.dunbar-golfclub.co.uk

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by Owen_Thomas_14 View Post
    I played Machrihanish Dunes 2 years ago. Drove down for a 11am tee off(4+ hour drive), played my round then drove home 😂. The course was pretty good but I've heard the Championship course is meant to be the mutts nuts.
    Very little difference between both courses in terms of quality and standard if course/layout.

Well unless you are affiliated to a certain golf magazine.

I like parts of each course but would suggest that the Dunes is slightly stronger overall. You'll also always get a far greater and warmer welcome at Machrihanish Dunes.
    Paul Lawrie - The King of Scottish Golf

Heading there at the end of the Month. Playing Mach old (not played here), Mach Dunes (very good) then Dunaverty. You'll love Dunaverty. Yes the quality isn't the same as the dunes but it has to be my favourite golf course ever. So much fun.

We're staying in Campbeltown at Craigard House. Stayed there before. It's not the Ritz but it does us. They were very helpful the last time we stayed.

Played there in the 90’s when doing some work and based over in Benbecula - played two courses - enjoyed them from what I can recall.