Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Money List Winner

How important is a ball fitting.

Reason I ask is I am following the " which ball would you play thread".
    In essence distance over control.

Can I go back a year.
    I got fitted at Ping for some new bats and had 20 mins with the fitter looking at my tour shaft against a reg shaft that was in my driver. with my swing speed the tour shaft was the better. However we were using the ad333 balls. As it happens, more through trial and error it is my preferred ball. But and this is a massive but, is it the ideal ball for me? How do I know?

I was following the thread and someone mentioned they play with X ball because it flies higher. But according to said Ping fitter the ideal ball flight is between two arcs. So would this higher flight ball kill distance. Which ironically is a big selling point of said new drivers when released.

Everyones swing and swing speed is differant, so how do you choose your ball and is it the correct ball.

For the sake of say £30 how important is having a ball fitting that may improve both distance and control?

finally how many on here have actually had a ball fitting ?

Re: How important is a ball fitting.

Uve all ready worked out what suits u. I also play add333 and also prov 1 s. Trial and errror for me also. So i wud say not important.
    www.theirvinegolfclub.co.uk/
    https://twitter.com/IrvineGC

Machrihanish Dunes Golf Club

Adams Xtd 12 degree driver
    Adams xtd 18 degree fairway

Adams Super DHY 24 stiff
    Mizuno MX 200 5-Pw PX 5.5
    Mizuno MPR 12 Black 50/06
    Mizuno MPR 12 54
    Srixon WG 504 58/8
    Scotty Cameron 2012 California Fastback
    Winter putter ping nome!!

and a v easy owner

handicap 12

If you hit the ball consistently then it is a worthwhile thing to do but if every shot is different then it's not going to make much difference. However all the ball fittings I've seen have been from a single manufacturer so you'll only find the best ball for you from their range.

Club Champion

There is balls that are soft, there are balls that are harder. Some spin a lot. Some spin marginally less. Pick what you like the feel of.
    Height is mainly determined by the loft and speed at impact. A spinnier ball may flight fractionally higher but is really strike dependant.

I like soft little white balls.

Assistant Pro

Its critical to achieve your golfing potential. How people play without getting fitted by a professional ball fitter beats me. You see guys out bashing it around who cant even play to 20, and you can see right away the ball is at fault. If they just got it sorted with ball fitter who knows his onions (and has the requisite high tech analysis gear), they could be enjoying they game off 10 or better.
    Ever play with blokes, who just pull ball after ball out of their bag as they lose them through a a round, or just play whatever they found when looking for the last one ? Never dawns on them that the reason they keep losing balls is that the ball is the wrong type in the first place. Its just a sad, comical, self perpetuating downward spiral.
    To be properly fitted, takes the guts of a season though, weekly visits to begin with, and monthly thereafter. A year later though, and you should have the right ball narrowed down to half a dozen possibilities.

The other option is just to wear boxers.

For the everyday golfer, not very.

For the better ball strikers, quite.

For the Pro’s very.

For you- not at all
    For the manufacturer - very
    TM M2 - Rogue Black stiff shaft
    TM M2 3 Wood
    TM RBZ 18* Hybrid
    Srixon z u45 3 Iron
    Titleist 714 AP2 irons
    Vokey wedges
    Odyssey Fang Tank

Quote Originally Posted by Backsticks View Post
    Its critical to achieve your golfing potential. How people play without getting fitted by a professional ball fitter beats me. You see guys out bashing it around who cant even play to 20, and you can see right away the ball is at fault. If they just got it sorted with ball fitter who knows his onions (and has the requisite high tech analysis gear), they could be enjoying they game off 10 or better.
    Ever play with blokes, who just pull ball after ball out of their bag as they lose them through a a round, or just play whatever they found when looking for the last one ? Never dawns on them that the reason they keep losing balls is that the ball is the wrong type in the first place. Its just a sad, comical, self perpetuating downward spiral.
    To be properly fitted, takes the guts of a season though, weekly visits to begin with, and monthly thereafter. A year later though, and you should have the right ball narrowed down to half a dozen possibilities.

The other option is just to wear boxers.
    If it were possible to halve a handicap by changing your ball make then I'm sure we'd all know about it 🤐
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

👆👆👆 sarcasm (I hope)🤔

Challenge Tour Pro

My mate and I both play a similar ball but I would say I hit mine 30% higher than him but we take the same club (relative to loft of the club) on a par 3.

I get better drop and stop from the height whereas he gets a little bit more run on landing.

We both have the same handicap.

Both of us have come to our ball choice simply by trying the majority of premium balls.

Driver distance comes down to how well either of us hits the shot but he is marginally longer than me.