View Poll Results: Which ball would you use?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • More distance

16 17.39%
  • More control

76 82.61%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Re: Which ball would you play?

Theres really no need to be buying full price pro v balls.

There are plenty of found balls which have been used for a hole or two.

Buy cheaper premium balls on offer or good quality 2nd hand ones.

All the premium balls preform pretty much the same. Nowt in it.

Here's a thought for you all. I generally play with a premium ball (Titleist Pro V) and usually knock it round somewhere near my handicap (3). Over the summer I actually tested a theory (a very unscientific theory it must said) that I had been thinking about for a while and that was, does the type of ball you're playing with make any difference?

Like I said very unscientific, other than my swing and my clubs being the same for the 3 'tests' I conducted. I played 2 balls (my usual Titleist and either a range ball/a Pinnacle Gold/Srixon Distance) for a full 18 holes over the course of 7 days. Hit the same club off the tee and clubbed as near as I could for the remaining shots (other than the odd snap hook, aaaagh!, the balls were generally near each other for the rest of the hole).

The scores I recorded were as follows (Titleist first, 'bargin ball' second): 71/73, 75/74, 73/76.

As you can see, the difference wasn't huge and in fact if I took any notice of my methodology and results I would now be teeing it up every time with a bloody Pinnacle Gold ha!

Like I said, it was only really a bit of fun and not a scientific test but it really made me think about the merits of paying 3/4 times as much for the little white sphere that I knock about the course with. If I had the time/inclination to pursue this further and carry out further research I may well be tempted to change my ball for one that is a damn sight cheaper than the one I currently use ha ha!

Anyway, please don't sue me if you lose in a final hole play off whilst using a Pinnacle just because you read this because we both know that Titleist's are still much more sexy!!!
    Handicap - 3.0 yippee!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bluewolf View Post
    Ok, best bit of advice for everyone. Get yourself s pack of Volvik Vivid. They won't make a blind bit of difference to your play but they will save you shots as they are practically impossible to lose in the clag. The little bleeders stand out like Jacob Rees Mogg in Lidl.
    This sounds like the best idea, especially with winter coming
    Callaway FT Tour Driver 9.5'
    Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood 15'
    Callaway X Hot Hybrid 19'
    Titleist 714 AP1 4-PW
    Wilson Staff FG Tour TC 52', 56', 60'
    Yes! Carolyne

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

If it's not a marble; not called Pinnacle, TopFlite, Ultra; or has the word velocity; speed; spin; distance; height and the like in it's name - then I'll use it. I'm really not that fussed. I don't believe my swing is consistent enough for me to look at the ball.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done

I'd go as far as to say its a huge advantage playing a premium ball when playing links. The lies are so tight you can get really great contact and its easy to play aggressive checking chips and pitches especially if the greens are receptive.

Your approach shots sit down a lot quicker too. No doubt about that.
    Titleist 910 9.5* (old trusty)
    Titleist 913 F 16* 4 wood
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Titleist sm5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Lee Trevino Napa style putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by tsped83 View Post
    This sounds like the best idea, especially with winter coming
    Made I laugh . I was chatting to a mate on the tee on Wednesday he said the same thing about the bright Yellow Volvik being unloseable.

I played with him on Thursday and he lost it.

Quote Originally Posted by bluewolf View Post
    Ok, best bit of advice for everyone. Get yourself s pack of Volvik Vivid. They won't make a blind bit of difference to your play but they will save you shots as they are practically impossible to lose in the clag. The little bleeders stand out like Jacob Rees Mogg in Lidl.
    Dear god no. Yes they stand out but they were awful to hit and I reviewed them twice thinking it was me. Hated them. Fortunately most are now donated to the heather of Sunningdale and Hankley

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Are any of the Nike range of balls any good. I find a few of these in my scrambling about under the gorse bushes - though not a tenth of the number of AD333s and various (nonProV) Titleist balls. And on the latter - which of these are half decent? I resist strongly playing any ball that has anything like the word velocity on it.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    Are any of the Nike range of balls any good. I find a few of these in my scrambling about under the gorse bushes - though not a tenth of the number of AD333s and various (nonProV) Titleist balls. And on the latter - which of these are half decent? I resist strongly playing any ball that has anything like the word velocity on it.
    I found a DT TruSoft and it was pretty nice. I later saw they were in the same sort of bracket as the other balls I usually play (Supersoft, AD333, DX2 etc) so it made sense.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

I really like the Trusofts (normally play ProV). Not fussed on the NXT Tour balls though.

Mark Crossfield did a great video on budget and premium balls around the greens. IIRC, the Trusoft came out well with his and Lockey’s testing.