View Poll Results: Which ball would you use?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • More distance

16 17.39%
  • More control

76 82.61%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: Which ball would you play?

Premium balls at low/on offer prices for me. I’ve used the srioxon z star xv that I bought cheap as I got 6 dozen for a while and recently I have the 2016 prov1 x for £28 per dozen.... won’t pay more than that!

I think for the average handicapped club golfer who shouldn't be hitting that many GIR then like me getting up & down is important so control around and on the green is more important to me.

For me and as Fish points out a golfer who doesn't hit as many GIR's in regulation as I should, having a lot of pitches and chip shots to play, I prefer a 3 piece that gives me control. However it has to feel right off the putter too

Most if not all premium balls give you both - distance and control with short sticks. Don’t think you need to make a choice as those balls give you both

Ball with a nice feel and control/spin around the greens for me. Everytime.

Really never noticed much difference in distance between balls but a hell of a big difference in spin & control when pitching/chipping plus feel/control when putting

Does it translate to any affect on my scores/handicap?well, maybe a shot or 2... but probably not (too many other variables in play not least of which is a lack of consistency)

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    Most if not all premium balls give you both - distance and control with short sticks. Don’t think you need to make a choice as those balls give you both
    But not everyone is prepared to buy or pay the prices of a premium ball, which to a degree is a little subjective, as where is the starting point of a 'premium' ball?

So hence the question, or should it be slightly rephrased to read; if you can't/won't pay premium ball prices that offer everything, which is more important to you, a ball offering distance or a ball with better qualities around the green?

Ok, best bit of advice for everyone. Get yourself s pack of Volvik Vivid. They won't make a blind bit of difference to your play but they will save you shots as they are practically impossible to lose in the clag. The little bleeders stand out like Jacob Rees Mogg in Lidl.
    TM M2 - Rogue Black stiff shaft
    TM M2 3 Wood
    TM RBZ 18* Hybrid
    Srixon z u45 3 Iron
    Titleist 714 AP2 irons
    Vokey wedges
    Odyssey Fang Tank

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    But not everyone is prepared to buy or pay the prices of a premium ball, which to a degree is a little subjective, as where is the starting point of a 'premium' ball?

So hence the question, or should it be slightly rephrased to read; if you can't/won't pay premium ball prices that offer everything, which is more important to you, a ball offering distance or a ball with better qualities around the green?
    Look at it another way.

I tested side by side a Pro V1 (2016) and a Srixon AD333 Tour.

Both are 3-Piece balls and both have urethane covers.

The Srixon was consistently a club longer, but the Titleist was better around the greens.
    ... The moderator formally known as Gareth

Callaway Woods. Some Cleveland Forged Bits and Bobs and a Lovely Edel Putter.

Tastefully wrapped in Ilac and Scott Readman Concepts Headcovers

2016 Handicap - 13.6>13.1>13.1>11.8> Clause 23 adjustment > 10.8 >10.9>10.9>11.0

Quote Originally Posted by One Planer View Post
    Look at it another way.

I tested side by side a Pro V1 (2016) and a Srixon AD333 Tour.

Both are 3-Piece balls and both have urethane covers.

The Srixon was consistently a club longer, but the Titleist was better around the greens.
    and £10 a dozen difference!

And the Titleist DT TruSoft golf ball with a redesigned new core and new cover is the softest feeling Titleist with superior distance and increased short game spin and is only £18.99 a dozen, so if that ball offers everything why is it not deemed to be a 'premium' ball, just because of its price point?

How much more distance and/or control would an average handicap club golfer get out of a Pro V1 against this DT TruSoft?

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    and £10 a dozen difference!

And the Titleist DT TruSoft golf ball with a redesigned new core and new cover is the softest feeling Titleist with superior distance and increased short game spin and is only £18.99 a dozen, so if that ball offers everything why is it not deemed to be a 'premium' ball, just because of its price point?

How much more distance and/or control would an average handicap club golfer get out of a Pro V1 against this DT TruSoft?
    I recently used a DT TruSoft that I'd found, and I thought it was excellent. I had a great round that day, it's hard to know though whether the ball helped me play well, or whether playing well made me favour the ball! Regardless though, it felt pretty good to me. I'm trying some DX2s next but I think I may settle on TruSofts one day.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9