View Poll Results: Which ball would you use?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • More distance

16 17.39%
  • More control

76 82.61%
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Which ball would you play?

Quote Originally Posted by HughJars View Post
    Chrome Soft is a premium spin ball like the aforementioned, CXR Control would be an AD333 equivalent.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imurg View Post
    Much as I like the chromesoft I don't get as much spin from it as I do from a ProV...
    I didn't think Chromesoft was right up there with the ProVs. I usually judge it on price ranges to be honest - then you kind of have four categories.
    £40 - ProV, TP5, Z Star
    £30 - Chromesoft, AD333 Tour
    £20 - Supersoft, Bridgestone E6, AD333, DT TruSoft, DX2
    £10 - marbles
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    I'm not 100% Tashy, but its only on shorter shots for control. IE a prov1x will spin more than a Topflight. will go higher and land with spin, so will stop where as the harder one/two piece will roll out more.. thats my understanding anyway.
    Ave got a question to ask later, but it's gonna have to wait, ave got me Joe 90 painting head on at the mo. Al go back in the spinning booth later for me golf head.

I've played mostly with the Srixon AD333, probably a mid-range golf ball in terms of price, but compared to the Pro V1 it's not far behind in terms of distance and control around the greens.

Reading in another magazine today a article from Michael Ross Senior Product Designer of Srixon which he says " A lot of people think greenside spin is the be all and end all of what they need, but sometimes if you don't hit the ball accuratley off the tee a ball that delivers a lot of greenside spin also delivers a lot of spin off the tee -and that can take you off the fairway quickly "

He also goes on to say " When I think of a 15 h/c I don't automatically gravitate towards the tour ball- I think the AD333 is a fantastic ball for them. It's a accurate ball with low driver spin exactly what the 15 h/c might benefit more from. But it also incorporates some tour technology to get some extra greenside spin or approach spin"

Challenge Tour Pro

I use premium high spin balls virtually all year round. The softness of the green during the winter is not a factor for green side shots. I do switch from Bridgestone B330 RXS to B330 RX for the winter mainly because they run a little more off the putter and are better suited to the slower greens.

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Beezerk View Post
    Does it though?
    Genuinely, is there any test data out there which says ball a curves/hooks/slices more than ball b? Or is it just sales guff?
    Try playing a Bridgestone E6 against a Bridgestone B330 and you will notice the difference.

For years dimple patterns have affected ball flight. I remember back in the late 80s when I played Slazenger 480s they were superceded by the Slazenger420s. I soon stopped playing them because they straightened the ball flight out so much that you could not 'work' the ball.

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    I didn't think Chromesoft was right up there with the ProVs. I usually judge it on price ranges to be honest - then you kind of have four categories.
    £40 - ProV, TP5, Z Star
    £10 - marbles
    You cannot go totally by price, part of what makes Prov1s so expensive is that as part of the patent infringement settlement Acushnet have to pay Bridgestone a 'Royalty' fee on every Prov1 they sell (at least that was the original agreement).

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    £40 - ProV, TP5, Z Star
    £10 - marbles
    Price has nothing to do with it.

Where would you put the Wilson Staff, the Vice, or the Kirkland if price was your guide?

Great test analysis here from Golf Digest https://www.golfdigest.com/story/spi...t-lower-prices

Money List Winner

Always used premium balls really but usually on sale or offer as prices are outrageous.

Recent convert to the Vice balls, every bit as good as the ProVs I've used (if anything nicer off the putter) and the price of a mid range ball, perfect I know previously they discoloured quickly but this appears to have been addressed as I've a few balls with over 50/100 holes on them and far more durable than the 2017 ProVs which are the worst ball I've ever had for cutting and scuffing up.
    H'cap = 4.5

Its all about control for me, I just want a consistent one bounce and stop
    www.loweryourhandicap.org Current H' Cap 1.7