View Poll Results: Which ball would you use?

Voters
92. You may not vote on this poll
  • More distance

16 17.39%
  • More control

76 82.61%
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Re: Which ball would you play?

Quote Originally Posted by T.I.A.G.D. View Post
    Here's a thought for you all. I generally play with a premium ball (Titleist Pro V) and usually knock it round somewhere near my handicap (3). Over the summer I actually tested a theory (a very unscientific theory it must said) that I had been thinking about for a while and that was, does the type of ball you're playing with make any difference?

Like I said very unscientific, other than my swing and my clubs being the same for the 3 'tests' I conducted. I played 2 balls (my usual Titleist and either a range ball/a Pinnacle Gold/Srixon Distance) for a full 18 holes over the course of 7 days. Hit the same club off the tee and clubbed as near as I could for the remaining shots (other than the odd snap hook, aaaagh!, the balls were generally near each other for the rest of the hole).

The scores I recorded were as follows (Titleist first, 'bargin ball' second): 71/73, 75/74, 73/76.

As you can see, the difference wasn't huge and in fact if I took any notice of my methodology and results I would now be teeing it up every time with a bloody Pinnacle Gold ha!

Like I said, it was only really a bit of fun and not a scientific test but it really made me think about the merits of paying 3/4 times as much for the little white sphere that I knock about the course with. If I had the time/inclination to pursue this further and carry out further research I may well be tempted to change my ball for one that is a damn sight cheaper than the one I currently use ha ha!

Anyway, please don't sue me if you lose in a final hole play off whilst using a Pinnacle just because you read this because we both know that Titleist's are still much more sexy!!!
    at the moment with the amount of rain we have had over the last month, you could play a top flight around St Andrews Old course and get it to stop on the greens its that soft
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matty6 View Post
    I really like the Trusofts (normally play ProV). Not fussed on the NXT Tour balls though.

Mark Crossfield did a great video on budget and premium balls around the greens. IIRC, the Trusoft came out well with his and Lockey’s testing.
    Maybe it's just me - but calling a ball 'Trusoft' - like 'Velocity' is a complete turn-off for me. It smacks of trying to sell something that doesn't really merit it - if you get what I mean. IMO a decent ball just wouldn't be so named.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    Maybe it's just me - but calling a ball 'Trusoft' - like 'Velocity' is a complete turn-off for me. It smacks of trying to sell something that doesn't really merit it - if you get what I mean. IMO a decent ball just wouldn't be so named.
    The Titleist Decent? Would there be a Decent X low spin version as well?

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    They have to call it something for god's sake. If it's soft they give it a name implying it's soft so that people know it's soft.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12°)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17°
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22°
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50°
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

Control any day of the week.
    • Gog Magog Golf Club Member
    • Woodford Golf Club Member
    • TaylorMade M1 Driver, 9º stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 3 Wood, 14º stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 5 Wood, 19º stiff
    • Mizuno MP59 4-PW, Project X 6.0
    • Vokey SM5 wedges (52º, 55º, 60º)
    • TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
    • Titleist Pro V1 ball

Neither really. I have a few balls I've used in the past that I stick to. Ad333's, Z-Stars, AD333 Tours, One of the bridgestone balls, can't remember which. As long as the ball doesn't feel like hitting a rock I'm ok with it.

To be 100% honest at a 12 handicap I don't think the ball makes a massive difference to my score personally.
    Westy
    ----------------------------
    Official Handicap - May-09 23, Apr-10 20.2, May-11 13.5, April-12 12.7, Sep-12 11.0 (Oh yes), July-13 11.6, Apr-14 12.5, Oct-15 11-5, Feb-16 11.4, Apr-17-11.7, Jun-17-11.8
    http://www.knebworthgolfclub.com
    and
    http://www.chesfielddownsgolf.co.uk

I’ll now be dropping down to AD333’s or similar balls on sale as we are now experiencing ‘leaf syndrome’, unless playing at a tree free course.

i want to play a ball that is called a "PROVISIONAL they always seem to go further and straighter than any other brand ,premium or budget.
    the trouble is i cant find any to use although they seem to magically appear in my bag a few times every round
    common sense is so rare it should be classed as a super power.

Quote Originally Posted by Norrin Radd View Post
    i want to play a ball that is called a "PROVISIONAL they always seem to go further and straighter than any other brand ,premium or budget.
    the trouble is i cant find any to use although they seem to magically appear in my bag a few times every round
    I have some that i am willing to sell. However, they come at a premium...
    • Gog Magog Golf Club Member
    • Woodford Golf Club Member
    • TaylorMade M1 Driver, 9º stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 3 Wood, 14º stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 5 Wood, 19º stiff
    • Mizuno MP59 4-PW, Project X 6.0
    • Vokey SM5 wedges (52º, 55º, 60º)
    • TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
    • Titleist Pro V1 ball