Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Fairway woods off the deck

I use either a 3 or 5 depending on what mood i'm in (just cut a couple of inches off the 5 and getting so much more control with it, 3 is next for similar treatment) its the default club for my 2nd shot on long 4's & 5's
    I have 3 & 4 hybrids too but these follow on distance-wise from the 5 iron, so not really doing anything like the same job as a fairway club does

I use M2 HL 3 and 5 woods off the deck - changed my game as get far more distance with them both as could not before with my old cleveland 3 weed

Quote Originally Posted by YamiKuriboh View Post
    Thought is that the top is caused by not hitting down on the ball enough. Wood should solve this as it is more of a sweeping motion, no?
    Strange, I thought a top was caused by hitting down on the ball too much
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

I use a 3 wood frequently off the deck and the tee - a real go to club. Love it and in past year gone from a favourite for years Ping K15 which is massively easy to hit to a Ping 915. Get more distance but not as forgiving - modern fairway woods much longer than older ones.

Some friends found Taylormade HL fairways easy to hit as really get the ball up in the air.

Did not get on with the early hybrids but at a Ping testing found I could hit a G20 - have a 19deg (carry no 5 wood) and that has been in my bag ever since. Real ugly club but effective !

Use 5 iron frequently but have a Mizuno 3 iron in the bag (one of those forgiving ones) and it goes like a 4 iron but only tend to use off the tee - thought about swapping back to 4 iron TBH.

Good golfers of course can hit anything - my son whacks a 2 iron up to 240 yds - feels wrong when you hit your Sunday best driver and he is up there with you with an iron.

Quote Originally Posted by El Diablo View Post
    I use a 3 wood frequently off the deck and the tee - a real go to club. Love it and in past year gone from a favourite for years Ping K15 which is massively easy to hit to a Ping 915. Get more distance but not as forgiving - modern fairway woods much longer than older ones.

Some friends found Taylormade HL fairways easy to hit as really get the ball up in the air.

Did not get on with the early hybrids but at a Ping testing found I could hit a G20 - have a 19deg (carry no 5 wood) and that has been in my bag ever since. Real ugly club but effective !

Use 5 iron frequently but have a Mizuno 3 iron in the bag (one of those forgiving ones) and it goes like a 4 iron but only tend to use off the tee - thought about swapping back to 4 iron TBH.

Good golfers of course can hit anything - my son whacks a 2 iron up to 240 yds - feels wrong when you hit your Sunday best driver and he is up there with you with an iron.

Try playing with a 10 stone 'youngster' who knocks a 1 iron 20 yards past your best drive !!
    Driver - Titleist 915
    Hybrid - Titleist H2
    3 wood - Titleist 915
    Irons currently - Titleist 718 AP1's (courtesy of GM and Titleist)
    Scotty squareback

I have a 5 wood in one set and a 4 wood in the other. I use them off the deck only if Iím on a fairway with short grass. Even then, they are variable (I know itís me thatís variable really!) ... either a 200+ yard beauty or a naff 50 yard bobbler. As a result, I tend not to use them ... but ironically, I would probably get better with them if I used them more regularly. Catch 22!
    Slinfold Golf & Country Club (Handicap 20)

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by bobmac View Post
    Strange, I thought a top was caused by hitting down on the ball too much
    My tops come from swaying left rather than transferring my weight. The point at which the club bottoms out then moves forward of the ball.

I've got a 7-wood I can sing the national anthem with. It's not just my go-to club, it's the love of my life, my other half, my soul mate. Mrs Shark is a distant second to it and the sex is better as well.

I'm happy playing 3 & 5 wood off the deck although the lie needs to be right for the 3 wood to be an option. I like the 5 wood out of the 1st cut and light rough as well. I can't hit my 3 hybrid at all😕.
    Handicap: 12

If you canít hit a rescue off the fairway then you will struggle even more with a fairway club. Like one of the above posts said you need to improve your technique first. You canít buy a golf swing.