Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dale Hill

Dale Hill

Thinking about a little short break with the lads next march and Dale Hill looks quite smart and at £109 for 1 night, 2-course dinner meal, breakfast and a crack on both courses. Has anyone else been? Would you recommend it or should I look elsewhere?
    Driver: CALLAWAY XR 9.5° ♠ Fairway: CALLAWAY BIG BERTHA 16° ♠ Hybrid: CALLAWAY XR 19°/22º ♠ Irons: MIZUNO JPX EZ Forged 5-PW ♠ Wedges: CALLAWAY MD3 52°/58° ♠ Putter: BETTINARDI QUEEN BEE #8

Re: Dale Hill

sounds like a decent deal. the woosnam course is a longish slog on foot so i would advocate a buggy for when you play it. both are a test of your game and i dont think you will be dissapointed
    common sense is so rare it should be classed as a super power.

Cheers matey
    Driver: CALLAWAY XR 9.5° ♠ Fairway: CALLAWAY BIG BERTHA 16° ♠ Hybrid: CALLAWAY XR 19°/22º ♠ Irons: MIZUNO JPX EZ Forged 5-PW ♠ Wedges: CALLAWAY MD3 52°/58° ♠ Putter: BETTINARDI QUEEN BEE #8

Challenge Tour Pro

Never played the Woosnam course but played the other one many times always enjoyed playing there, sounds like a good deal to me.

I've played the old course twice and am playing the woosnam for the first time this coming Sunday.... Am happy to report back after that.

I've never played the Old Course but understand it's pretty ok. The Woosnam course is , as has been said, pretty long mainly because buggies were obligatory when it first open. It's a decent track and the greens are usually good.

I actually purchased the house I live in whilst playing the 2 par 5's on the back 9 so the course holds a memory for me.
    removed list of clubs as they change too frequently !

Handicap 12.0

I've played both a few times, but a few years ago now.

The Old Course is a bit "up and down" for the first 8/9 holes but then gets a lot tighter and more interesting with some good holes. Fairly short at just over 5500 yds off the yellows with 2 par 5's and 5 par 3's. It's par 69 and SSS 66 off yellows which is fair.

You really need to be on your game to score well on the Woosnam course. The design had obviously been dictated by the land and contours available but a few holes are, IMHO, just a tad silly - even if you know the course and play accordingly. It's only around 6,000 yds off the yellows but a long walk none the less - not that I've walked it as all the times I've played it, it's been a shotgun start and my "1st" tee has been the 6th or 7th. You can't get much further from the clubhouse and the walk would be a good 20 mins each way.

As far as catering goes, I've only played there in interclub seniors friendlies or seniors opens and the food has been an excellent standard. I can't comment on what it's like for golf break visitors.

All in my opinion ............
    Don't take life so seriously. No-one gets out alive.

Thanks for the replies, all seems very positive so I'll be sorting this out methinks.

Having played the Woosnam course a few times, I think you will enjoy it much more if you walk it. And if you find the drinks expensive, there is a pub just up the road.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisd View Post
    I've never played the Old Course but understand it's pretty ok. The Woosnam course is , as has been said, pretty long mainly because buggies were obligatory when it first open. It's a decent track and the greens are usually good.

I actually purchased the house I live in whilst playing the 2 par 5's on the back 9 so the course holds a memory for me.
    Must have been a long old round? Takes about 6 months to buy a house doesn't it?
    Follow me on Twitter: @dufferman