Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Football Fans

Re: Football Fans

Do I consider myself a football fan? propbably not because I am not interested in watching every game of football there is. Do I consider myself a supporter? then yes, I support an individual team.
    Forever trying.

I would say a follower would would watch from an armchair whereas a fanatic would go to the games
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Have posed this before but interested what others thoughts might be...

A mate supported the same team from as far back as he could remember... Season ticket holder for many many years... On retirement he moved away from the smoke and for the first few seasons journeyed back up to support his team... However he couldn't continue to manage this so took to supporting his new local team only a short bus ride away.. He just loves footie... Gets blooming difficult when his old team visit mind...

So, is he a bad person? Still very passionate about his first team and that's truly where his heart lies...
    On an adventure 'til dementia...

Major Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Good point about the cost of season tickets. I gave mine up when two of my boys and the wife wanted to come along. Upwards of £2,000 for the four of us made it prohibitive. I probably spent at least the same amount but only went to a quarter of the games, taking HID and the boys. Yet on 5 years earlier it was affordable. The invention of the Prem and big name players coming to the league certainly forced prices up.
    My season ticket and my 23 year old daughter's come to £425. Good value though food and drink at the ground adds a few quid.
    www.blackmoorgolf.co.uk

Handicap 11.5

Cooden Beach Centenary Fourball Betterball champion with Smiffy.

www.justgiving.com/GolfMonthlyForumHFH2017

Financial contribution aside.. the regular match goer has a much more emotional investment in the team than your average armchair fan and they take far longer to get over a bad result.
    After studying JCLs in the local Ive found It usually takes the average armchair fan approx' 10 mins or 1/2 pint before it's wiped from the memory whearas the Matchgoer will be dwelling on it until the next game.

Major Champion

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Financial contribution aside.. the regular match goer has a much more emotional investment in the team than your average armchair fan and they take far longer to get over a bad result.
    After studying JCLs in the local Ive found It usually takes the average armchair fan approx' 10 mins or 1/2 pint before it's wiped from the memory whearas the Matchgoer will be dwelling on it until the next game.
    That is very true. Ruins the weekend when we lose, so this season has been very miserable.

I only read the reports when we win, and totally ignore when we lose. When the fixtures come out, first thing is to work out which away games to go to. Like to go to new grounds, so last season highlight was going to Burton. Parking at the brewery and having £2 pints was good.
    www.blackmoorgolf.co.uk

Handicap 11.5

Journeyman Pro CheltenhamHacker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by richart View Post
    That is very true. Ruins the weekend when we lose, so this season has been very miserable.

I only read the reports when we win, and totally ignore when we lose. When the fixtures come out, first thing is to work out which away games to go to. Like to go to new grounds, so last season highlight was going to Burton. Parking at the brewery and having £2 pints was good.
    Do they still do the 2pint glasses? Went there on the final day of the season 09/10 season with Bournemouth, to watch us get promoted. Brilliant day, and a very nice set of fans. Always like to see Burton do well ever since then.
    Current bag:
    Ping G25's: 3W, 23* Hybrid, 4i-PW
    Wedges: Cleveland 588 52*, 56*
    Putter: Ping Anser

Handicap: 20.0>20.1>20.2>20.3>20.4>20.5>20.6 Going the wrong way.
    Handicap Aim: 18 by 01/01/2014 (this is looking much harder....)
    Member of Naunton Downs, Gloucestershire

Major Champion

Quote Originally Posted by CheltenhamHacker View Post
    Do they still do the 2pint glasses? Went there on the final day of the season 09/10 season with Bournemouth, to watch us get promoted. Brilliant day, and a very nice set of fans. Always like to see Burton do well ever since then.
    Didn't see them.

Yes very friendly bunch, and it was last game of the season as well. We had clinched play offs and they were safe from relegation. Just opened the barrel of beer we bought at the brewery. Great beer. Looking forward to going back there.
    www.blackmoorgolf.co.uk

Handicap 11.5

Quote Originally Posted by Qwerty View Post
    Is right.

Which is when the full armchairs (ones who havent put the hard yards in, EVER) actually do do my head in on here. Their team gets beat and it means nothing, but they get a warped sense of pleasure from giving other clubs fans stick.

They have watched 15 views from super slo-mo, the pundits have told them what to think, and they tell you to keep your hair on when you've just got in from the match and your still raging from the referee's "performance".

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Liverbirdie View Post
    Is right.

Which is when the full armchairs (ones who havent put the hard yards in, EVER) actually do do my head in on here. Their team gets beat and it means nothing, but they get a warped sense of pleasure from giving other clubs fans stick.

They have watched 15 views from super slo-mo, the pundits have told them what to think, and they tell you to keep your hair on when you've just got in from the match and your still raging from the referee's "performance".
    I'm sure you told me you're not allowed to blame the referee…………….