Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Football Fans

Football Fans

Is actually attending games a requirement of calling yourself a fan? I know lots of Liverpool and Man U fans who have no connection to the respective cities or even been to them let alone a game.
    COYS

Assistant Pro

Re: Football Fans

No I don't see why it should be. Anyone who has a Sky Sports subscription is pumping money into the sport to watch games from their sofas.

I don't think so. I am talking from a rugby perspective but I consider myself a Tigers fan but hardly get to any matches. Saturday afternoon kick off and over an hours journey to get to the game and I am left with a choice of playing golf or going to the Tigers. I prefer to play sport than to watch and so I play golf and watch the match when I get home on TV. Do not think that makes me any less of a fan.
    Some people I know dedicate their whole weekend to match day. Up early, meet other fans for breakfast, train to Leicester, few beers, watch the match, few more beers then home. They are often out for 12 hours plus on matchday abut I do not think that makes them more of a fan.
    The Current Bag
    Pretty Much Everything Adams Blue
    Orka J29 52 and 56 degree wedges
    Titleist Vokjey 48 degree gap wedge
    TM Big Fontana Putter
    Bridgestone Extra Soft Balls
    Nike Bag on an I-Cart Trolley

AND THE WINNER IS...............

http://www.beltonpark.co.uk/

Handicap 14.9

Is a guy who goes to the match but knows nothing about the club more or less of a fan than the guy who watches on tv, but knows the names of all the youth players?

I think there are different levels of supporter. The committed spend thousands each year following their team home and away. As GB72 has pointed out, it is a full day affair for many. There is a curve declining from that level down to the armchair fan. I went to a couple of Everton home games on the trot 2-3 years ago. I was loving it but my wife made me work out the cost and I simply couldn't justify it. Now I try to go when they come to the NE but that is it. Again, as per GB72, I prefer to play sport rather than watch so again I would miss matches due to that.

I think being an armchair fans gives you certain rights to comment but I accept those who go week in week out have a greater right to have their voices heard, IMO. I will certainly defer to them when talking about the quality of a player that they are seeing week in week out rather than one I see 10 minutes of on MotD or in a Sky match. Equally, watching your team each week doesn't mean that you don't talk rubbish. Many clearly do.

So in answer to your question, we can all be fans but some are undoubtedly more committed, for whatever reason, than others.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Radius Classic No. 7 Putter

Not much in sport is rational... so its a personal thing. I couldn't support a random team just cos they win/used to win stuff! It's now very trendy to be a fan, and a Premiership Fan to boot!

I can tell you about a Major Winning Golfer who when I knew him, was staunch Fulham.... now lists his affinity as Chelsea tut tut
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Major Champion

True supporters should follow their local team, and go to games. Fans just watch on tv, so are tv viewers with opinions based on what they see on a box.

I put money into my club by buying a season ticket. What do tv viewers put into their club ?
    www.blackmoorgolf.co.uk

Handicap 11.5

Cooden Beach Centenary Fourball Betterball champion with Smiffy.

Quote Originally Posted by paddyk View Post
    Is actually attending games a requirement of calling yourself a fan?
    No. The thread can end there.
    2015 = Worst golf season in memory - End handicap 15.2 - now with added 1.0 after review = 16.2

Quote Originally Posted by richart View Post
    True supporters should follow their local team, and go to games. Fans just watch on tv, so are tv viewers with opinions based on what they see on a box.

I put money into my club by buying a season ticket. What do tv viewers put into their club ?
    What if they, and their kids are watching in replica kit while drinking their tea out of merchandise mugs?

So you think a club runs just on Season ticket money?
    TM dual rescue 5 R/f
    TM BURNER 3 wood r/f
    Mizuno JPX 900 5-pw
    Mizuno MP T5 54/12 Wedge
    Titleist Vokey SM5 58/4
    Cleveland 588 RTX 50 degree
    TM 880 putter
    Titleist provx
    FJ Tour Spikeless
    Handicap Start 2013 8.4<7.3[first hole in one]
    2016 7.1>6.9

Southwest King of Kings regional winner 2014