Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Looking for a new club in Scotland

Hi folks,

Long time lurker just looking for some local knowledge and advice.

I live in Cumbernauld and I'm on the lookout for a new club. I have been playing for around a year and a half and would say I'm absolutely hooked, I'm out any time I get a chance and keep chipping away at my scores. I'm a 23 handicap at the moment. I play right through the winter and it needs to be pretty grim outside to keep me away.

I currently play at the much maligned Westerwood. It's a brilliant layout IMO but suffers badly in any wet weather and I've decided I won't be keeping it on next year with other better options out there. I also hold an 18-25, intermediate membership for the Fairmont in St Andrews which cost me 250 for the year and have found myself driving up there most weekends to play courses in better condition, unfortunately I'm 26 next month so won't be eligible for next year.

With all that in mind I'm looking for a new place. I don't mind a bit of a drive for a playable course over Winter as I know the courses in the Glasgow area suffer in the weather. At the age of 26, I'll still be eligible for some Intermediate subs which seem to offer the best value. I'd even consider a combination of two cheaper courses, one nearby and one a bit further afield.

I know Cawder gets a good name and has a deal on now for 500 with no joining fee. The two courses are attractive as I'd hopefully not struggle for a tee time, I just wonder how it deals with the wet weather.

The Fife courses seem to offer good value and I could join Aberdour for 280 as a country member (>30 miles). I also played in deepest darkest January up at St Michaels, no mats or winter greens and really enjoyed it, again similar to Aberdour but a treck and a half.

Prestwick St Nicholas has been highly recommended to me as well and has good value intermediate subs. I love links courses, but have found it a bit busy on my few rounds on the Ayrshire coast.

Anyway folks, they're just a few examples out of thin air. I'm very open minded but course condition and all year playability are my first priorities. There's so much choice so I would value everyone's recommendations!

Cheers,

Gavin

Re: Looking for a new club in Scotland

Dullatur, though it will get quite heavy in winter, as will the 2 Cawder courses, they all use mats in winter.
    Glasgow gailes might be an option.
    Welcome to the forum , watch out for some Scottish meets next year.
    handicap 15.5 sadly now 16.5

Money List Winner

No particular knowledge of courses in that area but the one thing I would advise against is joining a course that's miles away. My experience was that the travelling will become a bind. Good luck making your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by williamalex1 View Post
    Dullatur, though it will get quite heavy in winter, as will the 2 Cawder courses, they all use mats in winter.
    West Kilbride GC do a reduced fees deal up to 29 years of age.

Glenbervie is less than 10 miles away. As well as playing your home golf you Get reciprocal golf at Prestwick StNicholas, Lanark & East Renfrewshire. You can also play Scotscraig for a small fee. Glenbervie is also a James Braid course meaning you get discounted golf at other James Braid courses

https://www.glenberviegolfclub.com/o...bership-offers

We do have a waiting list at the moment however you would get in before the new season starts. Intermediate Membership up to 29 years old.
    Taylormade M2 Driver
    Taylormade M2 5 Wood
    Taylormade M2 4 Hybrid
    Titleist AP1 716 5-W Irons
    Cleveland 54o 588 RTX 2.0 Wedge
    Cleveland 56o 588 RTX 2.0 Sand Iron
    Cleveland 58o 588 RTX 2.0 Wedge
    Scotty Studio Fastback 1.0 Putter

Titleist Pro V1

Member of-
    http://www.glenberviegolfclub.com

Handicap 19

Tour Winner

We only have mats on 1 of the courses at Dullatur, the Antonine is off the fairway all year round, no mats.

Quote Originally Posted by ger147 View Post
    We only have mats on 1 of the courses at Dullatur, the Antonine is off the fairway all year round, no mats.
    My apologies Gerry, I stand corrected re mats Is Dullatur a Braids course ?.

Tour Winner

My apologies Gerry, I stand corrected re mats Is Dullatur a Braids course ?.
    Yes it is.

Quote Originally Posted by ger147 View Post
    Yes it is.
    So a new member would be entitled to reciprocals at other Braid courses. Handy for Gav212 to know,

Q-School Graduate

All year round golf.

Has to be links.
    Paul Lawrie - The King of Scottish Golf