Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Dando and Homer coaching today

Quote Originally Posted by richart View Post
    I don't understand why Homer doesn't just hit a lot of half, three quarter shots. What he thinks is a 3/4 shot will be a full swing. Easier to have a positive swing thought of 3/4 swing, than a negative one of don't over swing.

Did mention over swing years back, as his position with a shorter swing at the top of back swing is not bad. Trying to help but perhaps not appreciated ?

Does amaze mme that so many different coaches have not picked up on over swing, and the standing up as he hits the ball. I had lessons with Carl Mason's dad, Roy years ago, and he hovered a club over my head, and smacked me with it if I came up too soon on a shot.
    I think to be fair to some of the previous pros that have coached Martin, they may after a rather short period time believed that his overswing was engrained in so much that attempting to change that was too unsettling to other positives he has, and as such they tried to get the best out of his bad habits and work with improving what's more natural to him.

Not everyone can swing like a pro or achieve a text book swing, were all different in our abilities due to us not being athletes or built like one, so I'm a great believer of getting the most out of me 'warts 'n' all' as long as I strike the ball well and have a consistent shot shape.

I've managed to tame my massive overswing that I had initially for a few years, but then I've only been playing 6 years, Martin has been playing 30+ so some things either will be tough to change or impossible to change as their engrained in far too much.

I wish him luck, but after watching the video immediately on release and seeing that he simply couldn't restrict his club from a full swing, I think I'd be working on that premise right or wrong as he's clearly an 'all or nothing' swinger.

In my unqualified opinion of course 😉

Major Champion

I would agree with some one that doesn't practice has the odd lesson, and is happy to play golf for fun. Martin is not that sort of golfer, he is determined to get to single figures, he puts in the hours, has plenty of lessons, and I am sure would be prepared to get worse intially to get better longer term.

Not sure reducing your swing length is one of the hardest faults to cure. Old age tends to do it for you.
    www.blackmoorgolf.co.uk

Handicap 11.5

Cooden Beach Centenary Fourball Betterball champion with Smiffy.

www.justgiving.com/GolfMonthlyForumHFH2017

Without real hard work and or intensive lessons, people will always have a certain amount of their swing DNA. If I look at videos from the last few years and even longer than there, there is certain elements that have lasted.

Things like over swinging and flying right elbows can be tamed. If you go to the range all winter with a headcover tucked under your right arm pit, by spring those things will have reduced. No doubt about it.

Outside takeaway - place a second head cover outside the ball to physically stop you going there. Again by spring that will be tamed.

Things may slip back towards your natural tendencies but its about attacking those and maintaining the changes.
    Titleist 910 9.5* (old trusty)
    Titleist 913 F 16* 4 wood
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Titleist sm5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Lee Trevino Napa style putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    You miss my point.
    Honestly homer I donít.
    I WAS trying to do what he asked but if you've ever seen how long my swing is/was even with an iron, you'll realise that for me, finding a point that was short as he asked, compared to where short felt for me, was very hard.
    Really Homer, You found it too difficult to hit it with half a swing?
    It felt to me as though those swings were going to shoulder height. That's part and parcel of the stuff he's given me to work on going forward

The other problem is we've never met, had a limited period of time, under a degree of pressure with everyone watching, for him to get his ideas over, me to understand them and try and make changes. There were a lot of things we talked about and touched on. It certainly wasn't a case of ignoring what I was shown. More my incompetence in managing to convert the information I was shown. Hopefully once my back is better I can hit the range, and work on the takeaway and length of swing on my own, in my own time and make the changes he wanted
    Those bold bits sum it up really.

Good luck, canít wait for part deux

Quote Originally Posted by richart View Post
    I would agree with some one that doesn't practice has the odd lesson, and is happy to play golf for fun. Martin is not that sort of golfer, he is determined to get to single figures, he puts in the hours, has plenty of lessons, and I am sure would be prepared to get worse intially to get better longer term.

Not sure reducing your swing length is one of the hardest faults to cure. Old age tends to do it for you.
    Playing a 3/4 swing is something that someone who was a HC of 4 and an assistant pro ? Should be able to do with ease - you donít get that low without being able to manufacture shots using different swing length. For someone to have that many lessons and practise that much there surely there is a level that has been found and having that many lessons and practise then to not practise 3/4 swings ? Or not even been taught it and for 30 years ! Something isnít right

Quote Originally Posted by Liverpoolphil View Post
    Playing a 3/4 swing is something that someone who was a HC of 4 and an assistant pro ? Should be able to do with ease - you donít get that low without being able to manufacture shots using different swing length. For someone to have that many lessons and practise that much there surely there is a level that has been found and having that many lessons and practise then to not practise 3/4 swings ? Or not even been taught it and for 30 years ! Something isnít right
    🎣 🎣🎣

Some interesting comments. Thanks for the generally positive and encouraging views and I appreciate it. I'd point out that where I was as a 16 year old playing every day and where I am now, with all the injuries and ailments I've had on life's journey have taken a bigger toll than I perhaps admit. No surprise someone is trying to find an angle and "something isn't right" but I'll move on from that. Even though the mind still thinks I can produce the same shots I could 35 years ago the body disagrees. There are some obvious inherent and long ingrained issues. At least I have a template to work to, and a renewed drive to make the changes, break the circle and make single figures happen

Talking of ailments, the back is still bad and I haven't been able to practice but hope to hit a small bucket on Sunday and begin the work. Slow motion, rehearsal, watching it on video and patience as I start with takeaway and more importantly reducing the length. Thanks again for your input

Haven't watched the videos yet but will do later

However, when I had lessons years back I was given a drill to sort out an overswing and a severe OTT move...

...it was simply to get to the correct static 3/4 top position, check in mirror, then swing down & through (amazing how far you can hit the ball from here with what feels like a half swing). Repeat
    then play a normal shot feeling that position

60 balls or so 3 x p/w worked a treat for me

Quote Originally Posted by garyinderry View Post
    Without real hard work and or intensive lessons, people will always have a certain amount of their swing DNA. If I look at videos from the last few years and even longer than there, there is certain elements that have lasted.

Things like over swinging and flying right elbows can be tamed. If you go to the range all winter with a headcover tucked under your right arm pit, by spring those things will have reduced. No doubt about it.

Outside takeaway - place a second head cover outside the ball to physically stop you going there. Again by spring that will be tamed.

Things may slip back towards your natural tendencies but its about attacking those and maintaining the changes.
    Thats if you can bothered with all that palaver.

My path has always been "the laziest way to get as low as I can". Some/most of us cant be bothered going the range 1-2 times a week, spending a fortune on lessons, spending 30 minutes on the putting green pre-round building gates, doing things with string - sound like Blue Peter.

Just enjoy it, and it may come via a different guise.

"The lazy way to single figures" - I may write that, it would sell millions!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Liverbirdie View Post
    Thats if you can bothered with all that palaver.

My path has always been "the laziest way to get as low as I can". Some/most of us cant be bothered going the range 1-2 times a week, spending a fortune on lessons, spending 3 minutes on the putting green pre-round building gates, doing things with string - sound like Blue Peter.

Just enjoy it, and it may come via a different guise.

"The lazy way to single figures" - I may write that, it would sell millions!!!!!
    You may be on to something there matey