Page 5 of 22 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Re: Dando and Homer coaching today

Over swing is a real funny thing with people.

They have no idea how far back they really go.

What u feel you do and what actually happens is usually miles apart. Really do need to see it on video or do as paul did and put a rod in the way to physically stop you from doing it.

Good drill for homer would be to take the club back very slowly, then do bobs favourite, a pause of a second or two before doing the downswing.

Quote Originally Posted by garyinderry View Post
    Over swing is a real funny thing with people.

They have no idea how far back they really go.

What u feel you do and what actually happens is usually miles apart. Really do need to see it on video or do as paul did and put a rod in the way to physically stop you from doing it.

Good drill for homer would be to take the club back very slowly, then do bobs favourite, a pause of a second or two before doing the downswing.
    when i had a lesson a few months ago i was shocked how far i overswung the club. I thought i was horizontal at worse but i was a fair bit past.
    in my bag; all LH Callaway Epic sub zero driver with fujikura pro green x flex shaft, Epic Sub zero 3 wood with fujikura pro green x flex, Mizuno Tour Proven Original blades (3-PW) Cleveland CG15 wedges (52,56,60), Scotty Cameron Del Mar putter, Callaway Chrome soft balls

Quote Originally Posted by Dando View Post
    when i had a lesson a few months ago i was shocked how far i overswung the club. I thought i was horizontal at worse but i was a fair bit past.
    3 things I would keep an eye on to prevent over swing.

•don't let the lead arm break down
    •don't over rotate the hips. Feels some resistance
    •don't let the right elbow get too deep or fly away from the body.

There may be more but those are the things id check first.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*
    Titleist 913 F 16* 4 wood
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7 (or ap2 6&7 iron)
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Titleist sm5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Lee Trevino Napa style putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--

Tour Rookie

Might be worth reconsidering how you go about learning new moves, particularly if it's something that doesn't come easily.

Firstly, look at doing drills indoors - crossfield does a few with doorframes etc. These can be done little and often,allowing the brain more time to rewire itself.

Secondly, practice the movements in slow motion until you have them nailed down. If you can't to them at 25% speed, you'll have no chance at full whack. There are a few instructors who espouse this, I'm sure you can look them up.

My point is, going to a range and hitting balls is not a great way of affecting change (as you have already demonstrated). The importance of hitting the ball, and hitting it well, overrides the ability to make changes to an ingrained habit. Consequently, the habit remains....

I think this is true of many golfers, myself included, so please don't take it as a personal slight.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    OK, so the stuff I have to work on from Paul from the lesson

Left foot open to 11o'clock, right foot back an inch and feeling slightly closed (he was very happy with posture as can be heard in video)
    Takeaway - outside the line and too jerky. Need to feel arms coming inside, club staying outside hands and smoother for first 6-12inches
    Back swing- shorten to shoulder height (BIGGEST/HARDEST challenge) with flat or slightly bowed wrist
    Keep wrist angle on downswing (flat) as video shows arms dropping down and wrist cupping on downswing (loss of angles/casting or stuck inside depending of what I do to try and recover in the swing
    Rotate strongly to clear hips/shoulders - this was happening in video and will being club shallower and in good parallel release position (you can see the position Paul puts the club in on the video for me to try and replicate)
    Release through ball (not opening face)
    Curtail follow through and don't exit so far left He'd be OK with a full rotation to a finish position if path is on better line and not so low and left (need to discuss this point further as not covered fully at time and need to understand implications and reasons)

SO NOT MUCH TO BE GETTING ON WITH. As I said there was an awful lot of information imparted in a very short time frame in less than ideal conditions (15-20mph wind into our face and rain showers). Hard to take on board everything I was being told, break the bad habits and ingrain everything. Add in everyone staring at you on the range and adding an element of pressure and it was hard to do everything asked of me. Let me reiterate, IT WAS NOT a case of ignoring what I was being told, more my lack of ability as a golfer to change everything/some of what I was being shown in those lesson conditions and environment.

Once my back is better (hopefully next week) I'll be hitting the range nightly and beginning by working on the address, that first move back and trying to stop the overswing and set the wrist. I'm not too fussed on rotation, strike or direction/distance at this stage as I can't really move on to address the other issues until I can swing back better and shorter.

The plan is to go to Paul in his Kent studio after Christmas or before the season with a better, more refined swing in place and have an hour of tuition to ensure it's working (and correlate the exit questions). As a result, unless the swing completely deserts me over the next few months and I need some tuition prior to a competition to get me to a place to at least get it round, I'm planning not further lessons or intervention from the teaching pro I'm using, bar speaking to a guy who does NLP to learn some ways of thinking better/smarter on the course, but which won't impact the technique I'm working on. I have more than enough good stuff from Paul to see me right and I just need to be able to grind the changes. The overswing/wrist cup is going to be the biggest of the lot but I know if I can get that in place the rest should slot into a semblance of order and sense and I can move the handicap forward

I think I've answered the accusation of not listening to what has been said and ignoring the advice and hopefully this will now explain fully everything that you'll see on film (including the second part to come) and what I need to do going forward. I'm happy with how it went and grateful to Paul and GM for everything they did on the day. I don't really propose extending too much further on what I've put here as I think it's clear here and on film what the problems were/are and what is going on to move the game forward.
    Honest assessment.

Just a few things that may make you feel positive, as a lot of what you have said above, also mirrored my initial problems. Here were some of my mistakes, as I had a set of 5 lessons up at Manchester GC (which was 40 miles away):-

1. After going for a lesson, don't go and play against a mate. Being 3 down to Birchy after 3 holes, meant I returned to my normal swing. Maybe even play a few rounds without scoring.

2. Don't get obsessed with length. I used to hit an 8 iron about 150 (pre-lessons), when I had the lessons it was only going 120. Partially being November and being cold and also the shortened, new swing. By the time it had bedded in and was back to springtime I was hitting it only 140, but better, straighter and more consistently. Better game and only lost 10 yards per iron - I was happy with that.

3. I hated having 20 thought swings in my mind after having the lesson, but after a few weeks you will only have 10-12, as some will have become more natural. Over another month or so, you may just be down to a final 3-4. I apologised to my mates at first as over each ball I was taking 20-30 seconds - hated it, but it will come.

BTW - there are some 2 shot a hole chompers giving You advice, take no notice of big, fat scousers.

Fair do's to Homer for having the plums for getting his videos out in the open

The thing I can't grasp is how you can't manage a half swing after playing for 30odd years? Natural talent will plateau of course but even rank beginners can do a half swing on request. Plus, he's spending time on showing you ball positions, how do you not know this most basic information?

Seems the only thing you've got going for you is strike (which is the most important thing imo) and even that's not great if you're only hitting a 7 iron 140

* last bit is a bit mischievous fun
    H'cap 14.8

Quote Originally Posted by pendodave View Post
    Might be worth reconsidering how you go about learning new moves, particularly if it's something that doesn't come easily.

Firstly, look at doing drills indoors - crossfield does a few with doorframes etc. These can be done little and often,allowing the brain more time to rewire itself.

Secondly, practice the movements in slow motion until you have them nailed down. If you can't to them at 25% speed, you'll have no chance at full whack. There are a few instructors who espouse this, I'm sure you can look them up.

My point is, going to a range and hitting balls is not a great way of affecting change (as you have already demonstrated). The importance of hitting the ball, and hitting it well, overrides the ability to make changes to an ingrained habit. Consequently, the habit remains....

I think this is true of many golfers, myself included, so please don't take it as a personal slight.
    Got any links for these ?

Exactly what I need to work on

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    Most of it, but hard as we had a heavy rain shower and I've not seen all the footage. Found it hard (impossible) to shorten as far as he wanted and get the wrist position and then make a good turn (to be honest probably too much info crammed into one 90 minute) segment but I've some stuff to look at and things to work on. I'll look at what I have on camera and put something on the channel at some point in the next few days
    let us know when you first take the new swing out onto the course and we'll keep well clear of Ascot :-)
    Glad you had a great time and look forward to hearing how you progress.

Quote Originally Posted by davemc1 View Post
    Fair do's to Homer for having the plums for getting his videos out in the open

The thing I can't grasp is how you can't manage a half swing after playing for 30odd years? Natural talent will plateau of course but even rank beginners can do a half swing on request. Plus, he's spending time on showing you ball positions, how do you not know this most basic information?

Seems the only thing you've got going for you is strike (which is the most important thing imo) and even that's not great if you're only hitting a 7 iron 140

* last bit is a bit mischievous fun

The thing is Dave, homers insistence on not doing his own home work has caused him a lot of strive in his swing. Couple this with the incompetence of his last pro and its a bad mix.

For a man who sees his swing on video a lot he really should have got to grips with his main faults. The two main ones are the over swing and over the top move. There is literally a ton of videos from some of the most respected coaches in the game showing you how to fix these faults.

Not only that there is a 'fix your slice' section in every second issue of golf monthly. The answer was there all along.

Homer to his detriment doesn't watch YouTube tips as they may 'mess up his swing'. He put his full faith in that last pro which let him get away with murder. As a follower of homers channel I watched the lessons he posted through my fingers. It was painful viewing. I didn't like seeing him struggle and the guy who was supposed to be helping not even tackle the most glaring of faults.

I am happy that homer has finally seen the light through this freebie from GM. A competent pro tackled this faults within minutes.

Don't take any comments to heart homer. You seem to take criticism really personal. People are only trying to help you. Discussion is healthy. I've had some great discussions and help on here since I joined and its helped my game for sure. People like BOBMAC, JUSTONE and THECOACH have helped me tremendously downs the years, but not just them, everyone who had chipped in with advice, questions and opinions have helped me understand my swing and the game of golf no end.

You should use this platform to understand your swing better. Oneplaner is always doing this and fair play to him for it. I always enjoy those posts.

Maybe this could be a wake up call for some of posters who want to improve. Video your swing. Get it posted and get help. Don't be shy.
    Titleist 915 D4 10.5*
    Titleist 913 F 16* 4 wood
    Titleist 913 19* 5 wood
    Titleist 915 24* hybrid
    Titleist 915 27* hybrid
    Mizuno Fli Hi JPX (2012) 6 & 7 (or ap2 6&7 iron)
    Titleist 714ap2 8-gap
    Vokey SM 6 56* 14*bounce
    Titleist sm5 k grind 60* 11*bounce
    Lee Trevino Napa style putter
    handicap updated to --(2017)8.2---8.4---8.2---8.0---7.8--

Major Champion

I don't understand why Homer doesn't just hit a lot of half, three quarter shots. What he thinks is a 3/4 shot will be a full swing. Easier to have a positive swing thought of 3/4 swing, than a negative one of don't over swing.

Did mention over swing years back, as his position with a shorter swing at the top of back swing is not bad. Trying to help but perhaps not appreciated ?

Does amaze mme that so many different coaches have not picked up on over swing, and the standing up as he hits the ball. I had lessons with Carl Mason's dad, Roy years ago, and he hovered a club over my head, and smacked me with it if I came up too soon on a shot.
    www.blackmoorgolf.co.uk

Handicap 11.5

Cooden Beach Centenary Fourball Betterball champion with Smiffy.