Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Chriopractors/osteopaths/masseuse

Hi all

I wonder if anyone has much experience of the subject?

I ask as for a long time now my lower back has clicked/popped.

These days my ribs, collar bone, neck, upper and lower back are all tight and crack/pop etc. A few years back I ran 3 marathons and was having regular sports massage....at the time she said that she suspected my pelvis is twisted due to how my leg hangs from my hips.

I'm overweight, play golf (obviously) and weight lifting.....all stuff that isn't conducive to a healthy back.

What should I do? whom should I seek out for advice? Any + or - with any of these people?

ta

Re: Chriopractors/osteopaths/masseuse

Quote Originally Posted by adam6177 View Post
    Hi all

I wonder if anyone has much experience of the subject?

I ask as for a long time now my lower back has clicked/popped.

These days my ribs, collar bone, neck, upper and lower back are all tight and crack/pop etc. A few years back I ran 3 marathons and was having regular sports massage....at the time she said that she suspected my pelvis is twisted due to how my leg hangs from my hips.

I'm overweight, play golf (obviously) and weight lifting.....all stuff that isn't conducive to a healthy back.

What should I do? whom should I seek out for advice? Any + or - with any of these people?

ta
    I guess a phsyio/osteopath should be your first port of call. I am sitting at a desk for far too long each day and get really tight shoulders and lower back, I have started going for a brisk 30 min walk each day but also have found that a good sports massage helps.
    Driver - Titleist 915
    Hybrid - Titleist H2
    3 wood - Titleist 915
    Irons currently - Titleist 718 AP1's (courtesy of GM and Titleist)
    Scotty squareback

Quote Originally Posted by ArnoldArmChewer View Post
    I am sitting at a desk for far too long each day
    I forgot that too..... sit on the train for 2 hours a day. Sit at my desk for 8-9 hours a day. text book case!

first port of call is to get someone to take a good look and assess, personally prefer a physio. Longer term you would definitely benefit from doing some pilates and as regular a massage as you can get
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

Handicap: 7

I've been having back spasms for a couple of weeks now, Monday was really painful. I'm having a sports massage on Saturday, only had Swedish ones previously, not as exciting as it sounds, so I am interested to see the difference. The idea is to loosen and relax the muscles causing the spasm. I'll let you know what it is like afterwards.

I suspect both of us need to work on our posture and build up our core, memo to self - work out what that means. I certainly need to strengthen the muscles around the problem area. No golf for me for the next few weeks until this sorts itself out . Fundy is right, pilates or yoga would be good move.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Radius Classic No. 7 Putter

Tour Rookie

I had a big problem with my back couple of years ago went to Phisio she didn't really help much.
    seen Osteopath he fixed it in three sessions was very sore for a week but did the job.
    Spasam in my back had my spine out of angle he twisted me like a wet towel so be warned its not very nice but it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by clubchamp98 View Post
    I had a big problem with my back couple of years ago went to Phisio she didn't really help much.
    seen Osteopath he fixed it in three sessions was very sore for a week but did the job.
    Spasam in my back had my spine out of angle he twisted me like a wet towel so be warned its not very nice but it worked.
    I'd take some short term pain for long term gain....

Had 12 years worth of treatment/MRI's/Physio's. Probably circa 70 sports massage sessions. Given loads of advice on exercises etc.

First choice for me would be go to the doc's. Get a proper diagnosis. Follow through on the treatment. If referred to a sports physio it will probably be a more painful, deeper massage.

The regime that works for me is exercises before I even shower on a morning. Proper warms ups at the golf club. Early intervention from the physio's when its playing up.

Also, more recently, a visit to an acupuncturist.
    Give it big humpties

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbit View Post
    Had 12 years worth of treatment/MRI's/Physio's. Probably circa 70 sports massage sessions. Given loads of advice on exercises etc.

First choice for me would be go to the doc's. Get a proper diagnosis. Follow through on the treatment. If referred to a sports physio it will probably be a more painful, deeper massage.

The regime that works for me is exercises before I even shower on a morning. Proper warms ups at the golf club. Early intervention from the physio's when its playing up.

Also, more recently, a visit to an acupuncturist.
    What did you find most beneficial? Or does it really depend on the person you see?

Tour Rookie

When I saw the doc about my lower back, he specifically said that weightlifting and rowing machines were to be avoided at all costs.

There's a lot of quackery out there, so worth getting the best possible diagnosis before finding a treatment course that works for you. All lower backs are different (and complicated). Good luck.