Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Moving to the South Coast, where to live and play

With mrs fundy having taken redundancy, the renovation here finished the house has gone on the market this morning and the very rough plan currently is to move to the south coast. The only real requirements are that we are close to the beach (ideally sandy), there is a decent golf course nearby, that there is a town nearby with decent places to go out and eat etc but that we are not in a city or too large town and that where we are is accessible from London (for parent/family etc)

So far we have liked the coastal area south of the New Forest, from Southbourne up to Barton on Sea (esp Mudeford), we loved the Canford Cliffs edge of Poole, would happily move to Exmouth if it was just that bit closer to London, likewise several of the towns back up the coast incl Budleigh Salterton, Sidmouth, Lyme Regis. We liked the Witterings and Bracklesham Bay and also some parts of the coast between Littlehampton and Worthing.

so where would people recommend either to be or to avoid and why? what golf courses should i be considering/avoiding? (i know the big Bournemouth ones but otherwise knowledge is quite sketchy). What are courses like East Devon/Woodbury like? Where are the hidden gems?

Any advice gratefully received!!!!!
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Orka RS10 Wedges 52,56,60
    Ping Ketsch

Handicap: 7

Re: Moving to the South Coast, where to live and play

St Tropez?
    Give it big humpties

It's a big area!!! There is loads of choice in the Bournemouth area, both golf & for houses. You'll only get a sandy beach in Bournemouth/Poole/Swanage
    The best choice for golf would be there also. With broadstone, Parkstone, Ferndown etc. With some other really good options like Barton on sea & brokenhurst available also.
    You can't go wrong with a southbourne/brokenhurst combination, but I'm biased. Southbourne is closer to Christchurch than Bournemouth, which is nicer for going out IMO.

That said, I also like Sussex, and somewhere like littlehampton or Worthing would be a great option. The beach is stony though
    If you need anything specific, let me know

Journeyman Pro

Only sandy beach in West Sussex is west Wittering. Traffic an absolute nightmare in the summer with only one road in and out. For sandy beaches you will have to go further west.

Quote Originally Posted by therod View Post
    It's a big area!!! There is loads of choice in the Bournemouth area, both golf & for houses. You'll only get a sandy beach in Bournemouth/Poole/Swanage
    The best choice for golf would be there also. With broadstone, Parkstone, Ferndown etc. With some other really good options like Barton on sea & brokenhurst available also.
    You can't go wrong with a southbourne/brokenhurst combination, but I'm biased. Southbourne is closer to Christchurch than Bournemouth, which is nicer for going out IMO.

That said, I also like Sussex, and somewhere like littlehampton or Worthing would be a great option. The beach is stony though
    If you need anything specific, let me know
    thanks therod, expect i will be troubling you (as well as Gordon) at some point!

we were in southbourne and down from there this morning, was beautiful, a little breezy on Mudeford beach but i think we could handle that having the new forest as well as the beach definitely has a strong pull!
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Ping Ketsch

Quote Originally Posted by anotherdouble View Post
    Only sandy beach in West Sussex is west Wittering. Traffic an absolute nightmare in the summer with only one road in and out. For sandy beaches you will have to go further west.
    indeed it is, but a cracking beach it is! the road in and out definitely a worry albeit its a bit of a concern in most of the places it seems to some degree
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Ping Ketsch

Sidmouth and all stations west. Loads of quality courses and pleasant area to live. If you need to go to London just catch a train.

Nooooooo, dont move to the South Coast, it's too busy and cramped
    Go north
    Forever trying.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Skier View Post
    Sidmouth and all stations west. Loads of quality courses and pleasant area to live. If you need to go to London just catch a train.
    we liked Sidmouth and especially Budleigh Salterton. Feel free to expand on the golf options as I havent played in that area at all.

The London option is mainly for my wifes family visiting and they will drive not use the train
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Ping Ketsch

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkermagnet View Post
    Nooooooo, dont move to the South Coast, it's too busy and cramped
    Go north
    we did 5 years in manchester, that scratched the northern itch (albeit i loved it and would happily go back if it had a seaside and was closer to family haha)

still an outside chance we head to norfolk but even thats unlikely
    In the bag:
    TM M1 9.5 degree
    TM M1 17 degree hybrid
    Orka RS1/RS3 Irons 3-PW
    Ping Ketsch