Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Head Pro

Season reflection and Winter Plans

The nights are drawing to a close - the clocks will be going back in a matter of weeks. Goodbye t-shirts and hello Woolley jumpers!

What are your plans for improving over the winter and getting your game ready for the 2018 season?

At Brancepeth we have our winter KO and winter league - which I think I might enter this year - keep up with the competitive edge.
    I've arranged a playing lesson with the Pro I get lessons off and we are going to create a winter plan to help improve and engrain the summer changes I have made. So this is looking very positive. W
    ith a handicap movement this year from 9 -> 10 -> 7 ->8 -> 6 and back to 7. With the final medal on sat - it could hopefully again be reduced. On reflection its been a good year and very excited to keep practicing, improving and be better again next year! My biggest positive though - I've started to enjoy it more and I'm not as quick to anger as I used to do.

However with my first child due in January - I feel the winter plan might not stick around for long!
    2017 Handicap monthly progress - Apr 8.9 May 9.5 June 7.3 July 7.0 Aug 6.1 Sept 6.7

Journeyman Pro

Re: Season reflection and Winter Plans

My golf went out of the window when I decided I couldn't balance work, family, djing, football and golf all together as much as I wanted so gave up my membership at my club as it wasn't cost effective as I wasn't playing enough. Guess in total this year I've played 10 times. Forgot about having lessons, haven't been to the range but still enjoyed my social golf when I've squeezed in a round.

No winter plans at all. Clubs are in the garage and may come out maybe 2 or 3 times before thinking about trying to get back into it next March/April time but again socially.
    Ping G15 Driver
    Ping G20 Hybrid
    Ping G10 18 Hybrid
    Cobra Amp 5-SW Irons
    Titliest Vokey 60 degree
    Taylormade Rossa Putter

Handicap 27

Member at Baildon Golf Club

My winter plans:
    Buy a golf umbrella.
    Buy some mittens to keep hands warm between shots.
    Get some thicker socks.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

My plans are to test/invest in some one length irons..... then work really hard on accuracy.

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by lukeysafc100 View Post
    The nights are drawing to a close - the clocks will be going back in a matter of weeks. Goodbye t-shirts and hello Woolley jumpers!

What are your plans for improving over the winter and getting your game ready for the 2018 season?

At Brancepeth we have our winter KO and winter league - which I think I might enter this year - keep up with the competitive edge.
    I've arranged a playing lesson with the Pro I get lessons off and we are going to create a winter plan to help improve and engrain the summer changes I have made. So this is looking very positive. W
    ith a handicap movement this year from 9 -> 10 -> 7 ->8 -> 6 and back to 7. With the final medal on sat - it could hopefully again be reduced. On reflection its been a good year and very excited to keep practicing, improving and be better again next year! My biggest positive though - I've started to enjoy it more and I'm not as quick to anger as I used to do.

However with my first child due in January - I feel the winter plan might not stick around for long!
    haha you'll be off 12 this time next year :-D only joking though I had my 1st in march and I have to say my golf went to the dogs this year... limited time to practice... a few hefty arguments from HID regarding the golf and your mind is all over the shop

Still managed to get 1 cut with one medal win and 1 more to go and hit buffer a few times too but generally 0.1 was the theme of the year for me.

I am hoping to swing a club a couple of times a week- move into a new house with a garage so swinging at foam balls at 10pm might be my only chance of that haha
    In My Bag: Driver: Callaway Epic Driver set to 8 degree. Woods: Callaway epic 3 wood Hi-Loft 16.5 Hybrid: Titleist TMB 3 utility + Titleist 816 3 hybrid Irons: Titleist AP2 716's 5i-PW Wedges: Vokey SM6 50, 54 & 58 Putter: Scotty Newport M2 Handicap - 2015: 28 > 27.6 > 27.7 > 27.8> 25.8 > 25.4, 2016: 25.4 > 24.6 > 24.7 > 24.8 > 21.6 > 21.7 > 19.5 > 19.6 > 18.4 2017: 18.4 >18.5>16.5 >16. End 2017 Aim: get to 12.4 handicap and break 80 (FAILED)!

It's been another poor season for me. I've struggled for consistency all year and i know this is down to having a 2 1/2 year old running around that needs looking after. I just don't have the same time to dedicate to practice and playing like i did. So i've tried not to be too hard on myself but its hard sometimes as i know how solid my game usually is.

My focus this winter will be two fold;

1. Stay on top of where i am with my swing at the moment (I've used this year to try to establish why i hit certain bad shots so i know how to adjust when playing).
    2. Focus on improving my putting. I miss too many birdie opportunities and i 3 putt at least once a round.
    • Gog Magog Golf Club Member
    • Woodford Golf Club Member
    • TaylorMade M1 Driver, 9 stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 3 Wood, 14 stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 5 Wood, 19 stiff
    • Mizuno MP59 4-PW, Project X 6.0
    • Vokey SM5 wedges (52, 55, 60)
    • TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
    • Titleist Pro V1 ball

A great year in terms of finally finding a good long game off the tee. Typically only miss 2 or 3 fairways a round, although H4H day was a disaster. Some great long irons too, which had been off the ball for a few years. Putting average climbed, probably because of more GIR's, but my chipping/pitching totally deserted me. I can even miss a green from 20 yds now, often thinning it through the back.

As for next year....https://www.valledeleste.es/en/golf/club/ I've just got the application forms for Valle Del Este for when we move out at the end of Jan. Having a year round season, in shorts, is something I'm really looking forward to.
    Give it big humpties

Head Pro

haha - yeah that's what people have been telling me! funny the day we found out we were expecting I shot a one under par gross 69! So I felt positive about it - but I think sleepless nights and all that - I doubt i'll have another one of them again!
    2017 Handicap monthly progress - Apr 8.9 May 9.5 June 7.3 July 7.0 Aug 6.1 Sept 6.7

Decent season for me overall. I had set a realistic goal of getting handicap down to 15 from 18, with a further goal of getting handicap down to 12.

Season started horribly with many .1's added but then mid season I hit some good form with a number of good scores and have continued with this but just missing out on cuts by a shot or two each week. Happy that I am consistently hitting buffer at the moment. Few qualifying rounds left, hopefully get another cut before the end of the season.

I had a lesson last week, aiming to create a more downward angle of attack. I am quite prone to the odd thin, and worked with the pro to see why this was happening. Played last week and already seeing improvements, did have a few fats though. So I will be working on this over the winter, hopefully increasing my distance control with my irons. Too many times I hit a good drive and end up thinning through the back.

I want to keep on top of my driving as it has been really good and giving me good opportunities.
    H/C: 14.8 Carnalea Golf Club, Bangor, Northern Ireland. Driver: 2016 M1- Kuro Kage Stiff . 3 wood: TM M2 HL 3 Iron: Srixon ZU45 Hybrids:TM RBZ Stage2 4. Irons: Ping G 5-PW. Wedges: SM6- 50, 56, 60. Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank

my season was pretty crap so i have decided to work on the following;

- making sure the ball is further back in my stance as i tend to play it too far forward leading to inconsistent strikes and lots of thinned shots. 2 range sessions so far and the quality of strike is better, the ball flight is lower and there is a touch of draw on the ball. bad shot now is still a perfectly timed cover drive every so often.

- changing my grip as my hands were too "over the top" and i gripped too tight leading to some pretty drastic hooks.

so far i am happy with my changes but no doubt it will all go tits up on Thursday at Swinley Forest.

the last part i need to work on is my pitching but hopefully the 90 min lesson at The London Club on Friday courtesy of GM will give me something extra to work on over the winter.
    in my bag; all LH Callaway Epic sub zero driver with fujikura pro green x flex shaft, Epic Sub zero 3 wood with fujikura pro green x flex, Mizuno Tour Proven Original blades (3-PW) Cleveland CG15 wedges (52,56,60), Scotty Cameron Del Mar putter, Callaway Chrome soft balls