Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Leaf deflecting putt. New rule?

Whilst I accept that the rules are not meant to be logical, it would be better and golf would be a more attractive sport if they were.
    intolerance will not be tolerated

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Imurg View Post
    Very few, by percentage, know all of them.
    I stand by my assertion that not many golfers would know this rule
    I don't doubt it. I still find it sad. It's not rocket science.

Quote Originally Posted by Imurg View Post
    Very few, by percentage, know all of them.
    I stand by my assertion that not many golfers would know this rule
    Agree, asked 10 County players yesterday and not one knew it, myself included. Today asked another 4 folks at harlech and again none knew it .
    Handicap : 5.2

Global Moderator PhilTheFragger's Avatar

I'd never heard of it either.

In my opinion if such a thing happens the player should have the option to replay the shot or play it as it lies .

If I were Matthew Southgate I'd be feeling a little peeved right now. , ok I get the bit about the shot needing to be replayed and the penalty for that, but the extra 2 shots for signing the wrong score is ludicrous and makes Golf look silly
    Driver Callaway Epic
    5 Wood Callaway XR A Flex
    Hybrid Callaway Epic 3
    Hybrid 2 Callaway Epic 5
    Irons 5-PW Orka GS5 CTI Flatline 80A Graphite
    Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy2 52, 58 degree A-Flex
    Putter Ping Scottsdale Grayhawk 34 inch with Fatso 50 Grip
    Handicap 19.8 Whipsnade Park GC
    2017 Imurg Challenge: Me 12 : 22 Him

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by PhilTheFragger View Post
    I'd never heard of it either.

In my opinion if such a thing happens the player should have the option to replay the shot or play it as it lies .

If I were Matthew Southgate I'd be feeling a little peeved right now. , ok I get the bit about the shot needing to be replayed and the penalty for that, but the extra 2 shots for signing the wrong score is ludicrous and makes Golf look silly
    So there shouldn't be a penalty for returning a wrong score if you fail to report a penalty?
    So what incentive is there for a player to report a penalty?

Challenge Tour Pro

It would be the most attractive without any rules. Would you favor that? Why/why not?

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    So there shouldn't be a penalty for returning a wrong score if you fail to report a penalty?
    So what incentive is there for a player to report a penalty?
    If the player genuinely doesn't know he has incurred a penalty (as has happened a number of times recently thanks to super slow-mo, super macro HD TV) then how is he supposed to report it?

Quote Originally Posted by atticusfinch View Post
    It would be the most attractive without any rules. Would you favor that? Why/why not?
    No game would be attractive without rules. The difference here is that the rules in any other sport are there to ensure fair play and to prevent obtaining an unfair advantage. Whilst the defence is always that in golf the rules aren't supposed to be logical or even fair, the governing bodies are continually revising the rules to make them more fair and logical.
    If you mentioned this rule to someone who doesn't play golf they would be mystified. It certainly isn't going to make someone desperate to give the game a go.

Quote Originally Posted by rulefan View Post
    Is it not an act of God if God decides whether or not to move the stationary leaf out of the way?
    Put it another way, if you can control the advantage it's OK if you can't it's not.
    This guy has basically broken a rule because of a puff of wind! No advantage gained, no breach intended, no cheating taking place.
    If the leaf had been still, no problem. If he was off the green when he played his shot, no problem, but because he was on the green and the leaf moved in the puff of wind he had no control over is supposed to replace the ball and play the shot again.

Its not uncommon for autumn days to be quite windy. Leaves blow around the green. It's unlikely but not impossible that this rule could make an otherwise perfectly presented course unplayable. What constitutes a deflection? One dimple, 1mm? If you have a green near trees in autumn, what's the chance of a putt NOT touching a leaf? What constitutes a moving leaf? Does it have to be moving off its spot or just osculating in the breeze?
    Frankly I put the chances of anyone of us on here not breaking this rule at least once without knowing somewhere in the region of nil.
    Last edited by Sweep; 26-Sep-2017 at 23:36.
    intolerance will not be tolerated

Challenge Tour Pro

Sorry boys, I have no sympathy for people whose defense of their ignorance of a rule is that other people are also ignorant of it, ot it defies logic. I have no idea what the rules of cricket are and would likely find them arcane, but if I breached a rule I would not bitch about it because I thought was silly...I would just learn the rule so I wouldn't get caught out again. If a game has benefits you find valuable, learn the rules, don't bitch about them.
    Last edited by atticusfinch; 26-Sep-2017 at 23:40.