Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Leaf deflecting putt. New rule?

I've just read about this happening to poor old Mathew Southgate. Pretty unlucky, and a rule I wasn't aware of.

But... it did remind me of this incident with Phil Mickelson. I remember watching that live and thinking how unlucky it was then.
    What I don't remember is Phil having to retake the putt, nor being penalised for not doing so.

Can anyone remember the incident and explain why he wasn't punished in the same way as Mathew Southgate, or have I remembered it wrong and he was forced to retake it?
    Handicap 13.4 Ping G20 Driver MD 3 & 5 Woods Ping G20 Hybrid Ping G20 Irons 5 - U Cleveland RTX Cav 60 degree Wedge Odyssey Works Wide Versa Putter

Tour Winner

Re: Leaf deflecting putt. New rule?

Quote Originally Posted by Lazkir View Post
    I've just read about this happening to poor old Mathew Southgate. Pretty unlucky, and a rule I wasn't aware of.

But... it did remind me of this incident with Phil Mickelson. I remember watching that live and thinking how unlucky it was then.
    What I don't remember is Phil having to retake the putt, nor being penalised for not doing so.

Can anyone remember the incident and explain why he wasn't punished in the same way as Mathew Southgate, or have I remembered it wrong and he was forced to retake it?
    I don't recollect the Mickelson incident but there are different outcomes to your ball being deflected by a leaf depending on whether the leaf was motionless at the time or moving. If your ball is deflected by an outside agency such as a loose impediment that is motionless, you play the ball from where it ends up without penalty. That applies anywhere on the course. If your ball is played from the putting green and is deflected by a moving outside agency, you must replay the stroke. [Rule 19-1]

That would explain it. The Mickleson one had stopped moving when his ball hit it, whereas the other was in motion.

Thanks
    Handicap 13.4 Ping G20 Driver MD 3 & 5 Woods Ping G20 Hybrid Ping G20 Irons 5 - U Cleveland RTX Cav 60 degree Wedge Odyssey Works Wide Versa Putter

I don't have a lot of sympathy with Matthew Southgate. He's a professional & should know the basic rules or at least be aware of situations where he needs to check. It probably cost him 5 strokes, not 4.

The 2 strokes for signing an incorrect card is just stupid, the retrospective penalty should be enough.
    Taylormade M1 9˝°, Matrix Black Tie 6M3 Regular
    Taylormade SLDR 3 wood
    Taylormade SLDR 5 wood
    TaylormadeSLDR Rescue 22°
    Mizuno JPX850 forged irons 4 - PW
    Titelist Vokey 50 & 58 wedges
    Odyssey Metal X No. 1,Ping Anser Redwood, Ping Anser blade (1960s vintage) (depending on how they behave)
    Vice Pro Plus ball
    H/C 9 @ ssgc.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Maninblack4612 View Post
    I don't have a lot of sympathy with Matthew Southgate. He's a professional & should know the basic rules
    Just my sixpence worth but I wouldn't consider this a 'basic' rule...I've been playing 25+ years and have a decent grasp of the rules - I've never heard of this one and the talk on Twitter last night suggests a good few more, including several Pros, didn't either...
    So it all depends on whether the leaf was moving or not....
    Talk about complicating things. We're going to need to video every putt just in case a leaf blows across, stops for 0.1 of a millisecond then moves again...
    What happened to Rub of the Green..?
    Epic 10°
    Big Bertha 3w 15°
    Big Bertha 5w 19°
    Big Bertha 4h 22°
    Launcher 5h 26°
    Legacy Black V 6-PW
    X 50/12
    MD2 54/14 , 58/14c
    ProType 2-Ball/TT3

Handicap 7.7 at Whipsnade Park

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

Challenge Tour Pro

I consider myself to have an above average knowledge of the rules but only found out this one last year.

I would not consider it to be a 'basic rule' which the vast majority of payers would be aware of.

I would agree with the point about a Pro needing to check with a rules official before continuing though.

Journeyman Pro

I wonder if this rule would be better for all if they changed the 'must' be replaced to 'can' be?

Quote Originally Posted by woody69 View Post
    I wonder if this rule would be better for all if they changed the 'must' be replaced to 'can' be?
    This is what i was thinking, then replaying or finishing would be up to the player and the field is not disadvantaged as far as I can see

You could the scenario where a player has a tricky, multi break putt of, say, 50ft...
    3 inches from the hole a leaf deflects it away from the hole...stroke to be replayed and the player has a really good idea of the line...
    Epic 10°
    Big Bertha 3w 15°
    Big Bertha 5w 19°
    Big Bertha 4h 22°
    Launcher 5h 26°
    Legacy Black V 6-PW
    X 50/12
    MD2 54/14 , 58/14c
    ProType 2-Ball/TT3

Handicap 7.7 at Whipsnade Park

You might be a King or a Little Street Sweeper but sooner or later you dance with The Reaper...

Quote Originally Posted by Imurg View Post
    You could the scenario where a player has a tricky, multi break putt of, say, 50ft...
    3 inches from the hole a leaf deflects it away from the hole...stroke to be replayed and the player has a really good idea of the line...
    Sounds like he already had a good idea of the line.
    COYS