Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Medal Winner

Re: Thinking about moving clubs

The bridle path at gosforth is a nice little course, Whitley bay is good too from what I remember.

Dave where abouts to you live?

Beamish is a good shout although I know in the winter they go down to 14 holes
    Couple holes in the middle are bland but I like the place.
    Tyneside played it twice and not my cup of tea to many stand about waiting for the Bell to ring and I have heard they have a load of members so comps might be difficult to get into
    Hexham is a nice track worth a look up that way has good practice area too
    Ryton is a nice little track and the greens are normally good
    Prudhoe is a good lay out but the greens have been dodgey each time I've played it
    Played in a open there with moogie and we watched a greenkeeper actually rip 1/3 of the green up completely
    Garesfield played it a few times. And to be honest the greens have been very good each time. I would consider there
    Close house filly deal is worth it IMO I liked it when I played there and it was in very good nick. Haven't played the colt course before mind but I have heard it's over rated
    In The Bag:

Titleist 917 d3 8.5 degree
    Titleist T mb 2 iron
    Vega VC01 3-6 iron VM01 7-PW Shimada Tour X shafts
    Vega rafw 01 - 52 57 60
    Odyssey o works red 7

Member at Wearside golf club
    Twitter: cwayman90

Somebody else mentioned Stocksfield which I think is not too far from you, ignore this if I'm wrong. I like it. A bit tight on some holes on the front 9 but it's always been pristine when I've played it and it has a friendly feel to it. Worth a try out if you are going to look at a few.

Dave I played your place last month in a society, on a Sunday for 20. Bacon butties included. The course has been on my list to do for a while now and gotta say it's a cracker. I know we were lucky as not many societies get to play there but maybe they are coming round to societies, slowly.

Well after all was written, the option of moving to Clouse House was what was chosen, it just seemed to good to be true. Golf anytime Monday to Friday, after 14:00hrs on a weekend (Filly only), lots of competitions to keep a handicap going, plus the use of all the facilities, only thing I couldn't do was play the Colt course.

Well, it turned out it was to good to be true.

Golf anytime Monday to Friday, yes there is, so long as the Filly is not booked out to one of the many corporate days, checked for this week and Tuesday and Friday through the day are booked out.

Golf after 14:00hrs on a weekend, yes but you have to be online to make a booking 1 second after midnight otherwise your tee time can be after 16:00hrs or not at all. Paul tried to get a tee time yesterday - Sunday 24th June - only to see that there were no available member slots until after 17:00hrs. Checked the online tee booking site Teeofftimes and the public could book a time, yet there was nothing for members.

Yes there are lots of competitions, accept they are all on a Wednesday when I'm working. I checked the calendar, there are only 3 competitions on a weekend that as a Filly member I can play in, two have already past, next one is a Sunday in August.

So needless to write, it was to good to be true, hence now looking for a new club, as I'll not be renewing at CH.

Not sure where I'll end up, could be Ryton, Stocksfield, back to Whickham (probably not), Chester-Le-Street is not out of the question either, need to play the courses again and for the first time to see what's what.

That's a great shame as it is a lovely place. However what you describe does not fit with what you need, or me for that matter if I was in your shoes.

The good news is that area is well blessed with very good courses so you have a good number to choose from.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26 Hybrid, Ping G25 23 Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    That's a great shame as it is a lovely place. However what you describe does not fit with what you need, or me for that matter if I was in your shoes.

The good news is that area is well blessed with very good courses so you have a good number to choose from.
    You're right it is a lovely place, the Filly this weekend was in great condition, it's just a shame that as a Filly only member the feeling you get is that you are just there to make up the numbers, to make sure the bottom line is solvent. You get the distinct feeling that if it wasn't for the big corporate days being played on the Filly, that course wouldn't get half as much looking after as it does.

Quote Originally Posted by Khamelion View Post
    You're right it is a lovely place, the Filly this weekend was in great condition, it's just a shame that as a Filly only member the feeling you get is that you are just there to make up the numbers, to make sure the bottom line is solvent. You get the distinct feeling that if it wasn't for the big corporate days being played on the Filly, that course wouldn't get half as much looking after as it does.
    Interesting how the corporates want to play the Filly, maybe the Colt is also busy, I don't know. Whenever I speak to people about CH, including members, I have yet to find one who prefers the Colt over the Filly.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26 Hybrid, Ping G25 23 Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

Interesting how the corporates want to play the Filly, maybe the Colt is also busy, I don't know. Whenever I speak to people about CH, including members, I have yet to find one who prefers the Colt over the Filly.
    I believe there is a big price difference for corporate between the 2.

I played the Colt as a freebee as a thankyou to all new members, played it on a scorching hot day, the greens were superb, it is a little hilly, only 3 holes that get your breathing heavy other than that it's a nice course. If it was within my price range I wouldn't complain at playing it every week. However, that written I do prefer the Filly.

The filly in my mind provides me more of a challenge than the Colt does, in fact I finished the round I had on the Colt with the same ball I started with, I found the Colt one of the easier courses I've played, that written, it was a red hot wind free day.