Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Thinking about moving clubs

Quote Originally Posted by Khamelion View Post
    As the subject says, I'm toying with the idea of moving clubs next year. Don't get me wrong my current club, well the course is great, it's a good test, and the club is run well, it could be one of the only clubs in the area that will be in the black once the books are audited. However a couple of daft little things have got my back up.

The catering was always franchised but never very successful, so the club took it back in house with an on the books chef/cook, but when I asked about a society meet with a coffee and bacon butty as part of the deal, I got told, "no, we don't do that kind of thing", which to me is a bit backward.

Hence the society meet I was looking to setup, didn't happen and the club lost out on a couple of hundred quid, in fees and likely bar money afterwards.

So, with the above in mind I was looking at other clubs, anyone from the north east got any views, comments on

Ponteland
    Garesfield
    Ryton
    Tyneside

Cheers
    Can I ask why you didn't pursue it further with the club or the chef? I'm sure if they were aware of the situation fully and the potential lsot of revenue they'd have found a way to accommodate. Hardly the hardest thing to knock up

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    Can I ask why you didn't pursue it further with the club or the chef? I'm sure if they were aware of the situation fully and the potential lsot of revenue they'd have found a way to accommodate. Hardly the hardest thing to knock up
    It was the club secretary that told me.

[QUOTE=Khamelion;1750665] "no, we don't do that kind of thing"[/QUOTE] Unbelievable!
    Must be the only club in the country which doesn't do that kind of thing. We have lots of societies at our place & they all get what they want in the way of meals & green fees. The income they generate helps a lot in keeping the members' subscriptions down.
    Taylormade M1 9, Oban Devotion 6 Regular
    Taylormade SLDR 3 wood
    Taylormade SLDR 5 wood
    TaylormadeSLDR Rescue 22
    Mizuno JPX850 forged irons 4 - PW
    Titelist Vokey 50 & 58 wedges
    Cure RX4 putter (heavyweight magic wand)
    Motocaddy S7 Remote
    Vice Pro Plus ball
    H/C 10 @ SSGC.co.uk (9.5, whole season to get back to single figures)

Cooo you're a hard task master. No bacon butties? I'm off!!!!! Come and have a peak in my world.
    In My Bag
    Driver - Adams Superspeed 10.5 deg
    Hybrid - Adam Superspeed
    Irons - Cleveland CG16
    Putter - Yes Sandy or some other one that wrecks my score.
    Balls - Nike PD Soft. Until I've lost them all.

Tyneside every time. Played it loads and love it.

Two you haven't mentioned are Prudhoe and Stocksfield. Bit further up the valley but not too far. Prudhoe had a proper lads club feel to it, but I don't remember the course too well. Liked Stocksfield though.

If you're not working next Monday afternoon about 2-ish............
    Give it big humpties

Money List Winner

Cannot comment about the other courses, but played Tyneside twice and loved it both times. Has everything for me, not sure why you don't like the coffin hole. Melly birdied it first time he played 😁
    It might seem an odd statement but we got good " vibes" when we played there.

Head Pro

I've heard good things from Ponteland. But from the list - Tyneside is probably my favourite - a good Harry Colt course. I play at Brancepeth Castle - but might be a journey for you but worth it.
    But if you don't mind a commute I recommend looking up the Northumberland Coastline - I played bamburgh on sunday - beautiful course and membership only 350 a year I was told!

In the north east I think we're lucky with the quality of courses we have - brancepeth, Tyneside Ramside (princes course though - new one is rubbish), Slaley, Close house, matfen, linden, south shields, seaton carew, the list goes on and on, I'd suggest you do your research and pick a course that's right for you.
    2017 Handicap monthly progress - Apr 8.9 May 9.5 June 7.3 July 7.0 Aug 6.1 Sept 6.7

I'm sure there's more to it, but you've made it sound like you're leaving your club just because they wouldn't do you a couple of bacon rolls.
    • TaylorMade R11-S (12)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood (17)
    • Callaway Big Bertha 3 iron
    • Callaway Steelhead XR irons 5-PW
    • Cleveland RTX-3 (50)
    • Cleveland RTX Rotex 2.0 (56)
    • Dunlop Wedge (60)
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • Bridgestone e6 Soft
    H'cap J F M A M J J A S O N D Review
    2017: 24.0 24.2 24.4 22.8 22.9 22.9 21.9
    2018: 22.0 21.2 21.6 19.8

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    I'm sure there's more to it, but you've made it sound like you're leaving your club just because they wouldn't do you a couple of bacon rolls.
    There is a little more to it than a couple of bacon rolls, and now it's going to read like some major conspiracy, falling out or whatever else the imagination can dream up. I guess there is a combination of a few little things, which at the moment make me want to try somewhere new.

I may end up staying at Whickham, as I've mentioned I'll wait to hear what's said at the AGM next year, what the clubs prospects are, what their plan is etc.. and make my mind up from there.

I opened the door about moving to a new club, soo while the weather is still decent, any recommendations for courses that people make, I've then got the chance to go play a round there, that written I lot of the courses mentioned I've already played and I agree with above Tyneside is a cracking course.

Quote Originally Posted by Khamelion View Post
    There is a little more to it than a couple of bacon rolls, and now it's going to read like some major conspiracy, falling out or whatever else the imagination can dream up. I guess there is a combination of a few little things, which at the moment make me want to try somewhere new.

I may end up staying at Whickham, as I've mentioned I'll wait to hear what's said at the AGM next year, what the clubs prospects are, what their plan is etc.. and make my mind up from there.

I opened the door about moving to a new club, soo while the weather is still decent, any recommendations for courses that people make, I've then got the chance to go play a round there, that written I lot of the courses mentioned I've already played and I agree with above Tyneside is a cracking course.
    The younger ones at your place are a bit erm...sniff-sniff...wild
    2016 handicap 15-13 2017 handicap 13-12 2018 handicap 12...