Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 71
  1. #1
    Tour Winner Khamelion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    4,688

    Thinking about moving clubs

    As the subject says, I'm toying with the idea of moving clubs next year. Don't get me wrong my current club, well the course is great, it's a good test, and the club is run well, it could be one of the only clubs in the area that will be in the black once the books are audited. However a couple of daft little things have got my back up.

    The catering was always franchised but never very successful, so the club took it back in house with an on the books chef/cook, but when I asked about a society meet with a coffee and bacon butty as part of the deal, I got told, "no, we don't do that kind of thing", which to me is a bit backward.

    Hence the society meet I was looking to setup, didn't happen and the club lost out on a couple of hundred quid, in fees and likely bar money afterwards.

    So, with the above in mind I was looking at other clubs, anyone from the north east got any views, comments on

    Ponteland
    Garesfield
    Ryton
    Tyneside

    Cheers

  2. #2
    Money List Winner Lord Tyrion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Northumberland
    Posts
    7,783

    Re: Thinking about moving clubs

    I played Tyneside with you this year and I think you enjoyed it. It seems a very good club to me, lots of members though so I don't know what it is like getting times for comps etc. Course in great nick whenever I have played it. Not sure I'd want to play the "coffin" hole every week mind, ha ha.

    Not played Ponteland but my son has and he said it was decent but not exceptional. I'm not sure how great it is in winter either.

    Don't know the other two but maybe worth having a word with Moogie. He has joined Close House, Filly course only at a very fair rate for courses in the area, certainly on par with the others. I don't know if there are any restrictions with the deal, cost of entering comps etc but it sounded really interesting. Same sort of area as Tyneside and Ryton so no extra driving required.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26 Hybrid, Ping G25 23 Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Odyssey White Hot RX No. 1 Putter

  3. #3
    Tour Winner JT77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    3,716

    Re: Thinking about moving clubs

    Where abouts are u over there? I lived in hebburn and played Ramside, canny course, and handy enough. Played pointeland and was very wet, nice enough but would think it would be a swamp after September. Tyneside is canny too, not played the others though. Have u any mates local that are members anywhere?
    Ping G400 10.5 Tour 65 x
    Ping G400 3 wood Tour 65 x
    Taylormade 2 iron Ctaper Stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Tours Ctaper Stiff
    Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS V90
    Scotty Cameron Newport M1
    6.8

  4. #4
    Money List Winner Beezerk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gateshead, Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    5,036

    Re: Thinking about moving clubs

    Tyneside for me out of those, Garesfield is 500 yards from my house but is VERY hilly and was in poor condition when I played it in late October.
    As LT says, Close House are doing a cracking membership for the Filly course. Don't forget CLS down the road as well
    Is Kraxx also offski?
    2016 handicap 15-13 2017 handicap 13-12 2018 handicap 12...

  5. #5
    Tour Winner Khamelion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    4,688

    Re: Thinking about moving clubs

    Quote Originally Posted by JT77 View Post
    Where abouts are u over there? I lived in hebburn and played Ramside, canny course, and handy enough. Played pointeland and was very wet, nice enough but would think it would be a swamp after September. Tyneside is canny too, not played the others though. Have u any mates local that are members anywhere?
    There's three of us who all play at Whickham, I've played a lot of the local courses, but mostly during the summer months, so never really had condition issues, so the courses have always bee presented well.

    Also thought about Beamish Park GC as well. Reading LTs post about Moogie at Close House, would be interested to know how that works.

  6. #6
    Tour Winner Khamelion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    4,688

    Re: Thinking about moving clubs

    Quote Originally Posted by Beezerk View Post
    Tyneside for me out of those, Garesfield is 500 yards from my house but is VERY hilly and was in poor condition when I played it in late October.
    As LT says, Close House are doing a cracking membership for the Filly course. Don't forget CLS down the road as well
    Is Kraxx also offski?
    Good call on CLS. Yeah could be, I think a lot will depend on what the committee tell us come next years AGM.

  7. #7
    Tour Winner
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Newcastle upon Tyne
    Posts
    3,217

    Re: Thinking about moving clubs

    Dave, my opinion

    Ponteland ..... Decent course , nowt special, great greens, expensive compared to some others local

    Garesfield ..... I really like the place, like the layout, nice atmosphere to the place too

    Ryton ..... Shortish course, feels a bit crammed in places, great greens, course is nearly always in very good condition, no good if you slice though, river Tyne on 1 side, railway track when going back the other way

    Tyneside ..... Nice course, very busy course, I know some lads there and weekends are rammed

    1) Garesfield
    2) Tyneside
    3) Ponteland
    4) Ryton

    But you should take a look at the close house deal I've just joined on.
    The best condition course in area, not short of money to do work on course😉

  8. #8
    Tour Winner Khamelion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Newcastle
    Posts
    4,688

    Re: Thinking about moving clubs

    Quote Originally Posted by moogie View Post
    Dave, my opinion

    Ponteland ..... Decent course , nowt special, great greens, expensive compared to some others local

    Garesfield ..... I really like the place, like the layout, nice atmosphere to the place too

    Ryton ..... Shortish course, feels a bit crammed in places, great greens, course is nearly always in very good condition, no good if you slice though, river Tyne on 1 side, railway track when going back the other way

    Tyneside ..... Nice course, very busy course, I know some lads there and weekends are rammed

    1) Garesfield
    2) Tyneside
    3) Ponteland
    4) Ryton

    But you should take a look at the close house deal I've just joined on.
    The best condition course in area, not short of money to do work on course😉
    Played Ponteland md week through the summer and as you write the greens were great, some nice holes, but a bit bland as well. Clubhouse was good and the food really good, no idea how it plays on a Saturday during comps or how busy it gets and compared to others it is more expensive for what you get.

    Heard good and bad about Garesfield, so not sure about that one, would have to give the course a run out as I've never played there.

    Ryton and Tyneside are nice courses, but I'm not up for crammed congested courses.

    More thought required, the Close House option is very tempting.

  9. #9
    Tour Winner JT77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Posts
    3,716

    Re: Thinking about moving clubs

    I think if it was close enough then close house would def be a good shout.
    Ping G400 10.5 Tour 65 x
    Ping G400 3 wood Tour 65 x
    Taylormade 2 iron Ctaper Stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Tours Ctaper Stiff
    Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS V90
    Scotty Cameron Newport M1
    6.8

  10. #10
    Tour Rookie
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Gateshead, Tyne & Wear
    Posts
    1,232

    Re: Thinking about moving clubs

    Played the championship course at Close House and felt VERY underwhelmed after. Personally think the whole place is very overrated and have no desire to go back.
    In fact I preferred your course, Whickham, and will definitely be back.
    Not played that many courses in the north east, but my favourite so far is Matfen Hall.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Latest Golf News