So who would your 11 be

For me the squad players to add should be

Hamed
    Malan
    Buttler
    Rashid
    Roland Jones
    Ball
    "It's called golf because all the other four letter words were already taken"

Journeyman Pro

Re: Ashes 2017/18

Cook
    Root
    Stokes
    Moeen
    Broad
    Anderson

And then 5 others!

Have a nasty feeling that it will be similar to the last debacle to the land of plenty!!
    --------------------
    Handicap : 5 (4.6)

Titleist 915D2 9.5
    Adams Tight Lies 3 and 5 fairways
    Mizuno MP60 Irons 3-PW
    Titleist Vokey 52* & 60* Wedges
    Scotty Studio Select Fastback 1.5

Quote Originally Posted by PieMan View Post
    Cook
    Root
    Stokes
    Moeen
    Broad
    Anderson

And then 5 others!

Have a nasty feeling that it will be similar to the last debacle to the land of plenty!!
    I'll add to yours with:

Bairstow
    Woakes
    Plunkett
    Stoneman

After that I am struggling and so will England. Roland Jones has earned a place but worry he could be fodder out there. I hope not. I can't think of a number 3 that is not a gamble. No one has stuck their hand up and claimed a spot. You could choose 1 of 4 and none will have earned their place. Rashid is probably worth taking as he should get extra bounce out there that should suit. We need to come off and not go for 5 an over. The Aussies will go after him if he does play, that is for sure.

I expect us to get gubbed. Apparently Flintoff said this was the best England team he can remember. I can only assume that years of drinking, he is now tea total I believe, have robbed him of his memory as it is nowhere close. Worried.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26° Hybrid, Ping G25 23° Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Radius Classic No. 7 Putter

Cook
    Stoneman
    Root
    Bairstowe
    Ballance
    Hales
    Stokes
    Ali
    Woakes
    Broad
    Anderson

Squad players: Leach, Wood, TRJ, Foakes, Westly,

If its a turner and they want to go with 2 spinners, id play Leach for Hales and move everone up 1 in the order.

I send Malan, Crane, Parkinson with the lions to Oz.
    H/cap 6.7,

Quote Originally Posted by Junior View Post
    Cook
    Stoneman
    Root
    Bairstowe
    Ballance
    Hales
    Stokes
    Ali
    Woakes
    Broad
    Anderson

Squad players: Leach, Wood, TRJ, Foakes, Westly,

If its a turner and they want to go with 2 spinners, id play Leach for Hales and move everone up 1 in the order.

I send Malan, Crane, Parkinson with the lions to Oz.
    I'd have the same, but TRJ in for Woakes.

I dont think you can have both Woakes and Broad in the same team for the 1st test - fitness worries on both and I'm not sure either will be bowling a huge amount for prolonged spells before then to prove they can handle a 5 day game.

On the flip side, TRJ has come in and done everything that has been asked of him and more - fitted very well into the side, stepped up his level and IMO dropping him for the 1st test would send a 'names over form' message which is damaging to a touring squad.

I'd also be taking Malan, Westley, Foakes, Wood and Woakes.

I wouldn't take Hameed initially - leave him with the Lions and if he piles on the runs and we're short of an opener then call him up. At this point in his career being a water carrier is of no benefit to anyone whatsoever.

Tour Winner

Negative I know, as I am struggling to suggest other names, but it does highlight the paucity of talent when players like Ballance and Westley are being suggested.

Both have appalling techniques that are likely to be exposed at this level. These problems can sometimes be overcome by mental application (as Pietersen did) but neither of them have shown that determination.

And TRJ is far too likely to bowl a "fourball" an over to be first change seamer. Stokes has the same problem but obviously compensates with his all round game.

Thankfully the Aussies seem to have troubles of their own.

Quote Originally Posted by TheDiablo View Post
    I'd have the same, but TRJ in for Woakes.

I dont think you can have both Woakes and Broad in the same team for the 1st test - fitness worries on both and I'm not sure either will be bowling a huge amount for prolonged spells before then to prove they can handle a 5 day game.

On the flip side, TRJ has come in and done everything that has been asked of him and more - fitted very well into the side, stepped up his level and IMO dropping him for the 1st test would send a 'names over form' message which is damaging to a touring squad.

I'd also be taking Malan, Westley, Foakes, Wood and Woakes.

I wouldn't take Hameed initially - leave him with the Lions and if he piles on the runs and we're short of an opener then call him up. At this point in his career being a water carrier is of no benefit to anyone whatsoever.
    Yeah, I 'd have no issues with TRJ for Woakes. I've a soft spot for Woakes as he was our 'best' bowler by a long way before he got injured. Agree Hameed with the lions. Weird how he's got runs for lancs recently but didn't get above 36 whilst playing league cricket for Formby (6 games). No 2nd spinner ?
    H/cap 6.7,

Quote Originally Posted by MetalMickie View Post
    Negative I know, as I am struggling to suggest other names, but it does highlight the paucity of talent when players like Ballance and Westley are being suggested.

Both have appalling techniques that are likely to be exposed at this level. These problems can sometimes be overcome by mental application (as Pietersen did) but neither of them have shown that determination.

And TRJ is far too likely to bowl a "fourball" an over to be first change seamer. Stokes has the same problem but obviously compensates with his all round game.

Thankfully the Aussies seem to have troubles of their own.
    Yes, I agree that you do have to question the role county cricket plays in developing England players. The gap has widened since the schedules of international cricket has grown and world class players, in there prime, no longer spend the season with counties. Remember, Ambrose at Northants, Walsh at Gloucester, Akram at Lancs etc etc 

I think technique plays a smaller role these days. If someone has got it, and they have the ability to improve then stick with them. Plenty of players with poor techniques have managed to succeed at international level. No coach would teach a young person to bat like Graeme Smith, Chanderpaul or ,Brian Lara and bowl like Malinga, Ashwin and Murali etc.  

Ballance is by far and away one of the best county players we have and they should stick with him at 5. From there he can easily make the step up to test cricket again.
    H/cap 6.7,

Tour Winner

I understand that TRJ is having investigative tests on a side/back injury. He had to leave the field mid-over during the current match.

With the aforementioned concerns over Broad and Woakes this is bad news for the selectors .

Tour Winner

How many chances should Ballance be given.

So far there has been nothing to suggest that he is able to handle the step up to the Test level on a long-term basis.