Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dunmurry Golf Club - Tee time for life

Hey,

Few questions about "tee times for life" on Saturdays and specifically if anyone is or was a member of Dunmurry Golf Club in Belfast..

I have recently moved house and looking at moving clubs. I have an application in to join Dunmurry. Its a lovely course, close to the house and everyone I have spoken to have been really nice.

The one thing that is putting me off is the tee time for life system on Saturdays. I have been told that those without a tee time float about into different spots until a tee time becomes available for them. And that there are always spots available.

How do people feel that works?

I'm coming from a club that was just open booking for Saturdays and although you had to be on the ball to get a time it worked well.

Thanks

J
    H'cap 10

Assistant Pro

Re: Dunmurry Golf Club - Tee time for life

Never heard of a "tee time for life" system. How does that work then?

Quote Originally Posted by PCWOX View Post
    Never heard of a "tee time for life" system. How does that work then?
    People have a teetime on a Saturday and its theirs forever. So the guy who I met with plays at 8am and always has.

As I would be new I wouldn't have a fixed teetime so would have to slot in where there are gaps.
    H'cap 10

My club, Carnalea in Bangor is tee time for life as well. I joined with 2 of my friends and we were told after paying that it would be unlikely we could play together or would have to be in the afternoon which one of my mates couldn't do due to personal reasons. Although we were very lucky that a 4 ball switched from a 7 day to a 5 day membership and we got their spot.

I have to say that I dislike the tee time for life scenario, as new members have very little chance of getting a spot and most groups are always the same.

Although, now I have a tee time, I know exactly who is behind, infront, on what hole when I go round. People switch in and out all the time as well, this year we issued fines for players who did not remove themselves from the tee sheet if they could not play. As a result, loads of free slots opened up on a Friday and you could literally pick and choose where you wanted. Last year this was not the case and it was nearly impossible to get a slot.

People at Carnalea are very friendly and there are no issues filling into different slots each week, everyone is very welcoming.

I would say it is fustrating though, if you are a group as it is near impossible to get a slot together.
    H/C: 14.8 Carnalea Golf Club, Bangor, Northern Ireland. Driver: 2016 M1- Kuro Kage Stiff . 3 wood: TM M2 HL 3 Iron: Srixon ZU45 Hybrids:TM RBZ Stage2 4. Irons: Ping G 5-PW. Wedges: SM6- 50, 56, 60. Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank

Never come across it before

From the information available it doesn't sound the most flexibe or sociable system!
    (Unless I'm missing something)

Quote Originally Posted by Coffey View Post
    My club, Carnalea in Bangor is tee time for life as well. I joined with 2 of my friends and we were told after paying that it would be unlikely we could play together or would have to be in the afternoon which one of my mates couldn't do due to personal reasons. Although we were very lucky that a 4 ball switched from a 7 day to a 5 day membership and we got their spot.

I have to say that I dislike the tee time for life scenario, as new members have very little chance of getting a spot and most groups are always the same.

Although, now I have a tee time, I know exactly who is behind, infront, on what hole when I go round. People switch in and out all the time as well, this year we issued fines for players who did not remove themselves from the tee sheet if they could not play. As a result, loads of free slots opened up on a Friday and you could literally pick and choose where you wanted. Last year this was not the case and it was nearly impossible to get a slot.

People at Carnalea are very friendly and there are no issues filling into different slots each week, everyone is very welcoming.

I would say it is fustrating though, if you are a group as it is near impossible to get a slot together.
    Thanks, I would be joining Dunmurry by myself so initially floating into free spots might work quite well and give me the opportunity to get to know people.

I suppose long term I feel like the system limits people getting to know others.

Also wondering will there be much opportunity to find and join a group with people of similar sort of age.
    H'cap 10

Assistant Pro

This sounds like one of the most ridiculous systems I have ever heard of. So everyone pays their subs and has equal standing as a member but some longer standing members are more equal than others? I wouldn't even consider joining a club like this, what happens if you have some other engagement on a Saturday, does this mean you can't play and miss your weekly game? And which numbskull thought up this nonsense?

Quote Originally Posted by jimjoachim View Post
    Thanks, I would be joining Dunmurry by myself so initially floating into free spots might work quite well and give me the opportunity to get to know people.

I suppose long term I feel like the system limits people getting to know others.

Also wondering will there be much opportunity to find and join a group with people of similar sort of age.
    Yep it works quite well as a floating member, you can pick and choose your time when there is a spot. I assume it will be quite similar to Carnalea where members are made to remove their names when not playing- as it is a massive problem if they dont.

I know with our system, once a spot comes available, you can get put into the master time sheet and it is yours until you die (or leave).

I guess that is where you will need to speak to the pro or the timesheet owner to see where is best for you to slot in. He may give you an idea
    H/C: 14.8 Carnalea Golf Club, Bangor, Northern Ireland. Driver: 2016 M1- Kuro Kage Stiff . 3 wood: TM M2 HL 3 Iron: Srixon ZU45 Hybrids:TM RBZ Stage2 4. Irons: Ping G 5-PW. Wedges: SM6- 50, 56, 60. Putter: Odyssey 2-ball Fang Tank

Quote Originally Posted by DaveR View Post
    This sounds like one of the most ridiculous systems I have ever heard of. So everyone pays their subs and has equal standing as a member but some longer standing members are more equal than others? I wouldn't even consider joining a club like this, what happens if you have some other engagement on a Saturday, does this mean you can't play and miss your weekly game? And which numbskull thought up this nonsense?
    Yep 100%! You can take your name out and move it into another slot, there is always slots available now as members are forced to remove their name if not playing.

It is much better than the old system, before I joined, it used to be ball in the shoot. So everyone would turn up, but their ball in the shoot and go out once their ball was drawn from the shoot. Members used to be there for 2/3 hours before they went out. Everyone turned up at the same time every week and always went out approx the same time. So it was decided that they would now use BRS to manage the timesheet, but use the same premise, so if you went out around 10am using the shoot, your group was put in at around 10am. It basically meant you did not need to be there to put your ball in the shoot and therefore save time. Older members hated this as they thought they would be going out later than normal as most of them had know idea how long they were actually hanging around for.

It has just never changed, so it has always been a running order and sort of still is. It really is off putting for new members and something I think they should change.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffey View Post
    Yep it works quite well as a floating member, you can pick and choose your time when there is a spot. I assume it will be quite similar to Carnalea where members are made to remove their names when not playing- as it is a massive problem if they dont.

I know with our system, once a spot comes available, you can get put into the master time sheet and it is yours until you die (or leave).

I guess that is where you will need to speak to the pro or the timesheet owner to see where is best for you to slot in. He may give you an idea
    The membership convenor told me if people don't show up for a time twice they get a short suspension.

This system seems to be quite popular over here. I think Belvoir do the same.

My current club is just open booking a week before. Most people do usually revert to the same sort of time but you do get a bit of moaning when people diverge from it for the likes of captains day...
    H'cap 10