Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Jail for shooting an intruder

Quote Originally Posted by Bunkermagnet View Post
    I thought illegal owning of a firearm was a mandatory 5yrs inside?
    Shotguns aren't firearms (in the eyes of the law). It is generally far easier to obtain a shotgun licence than a firearms certificate. Not sure why but possibly given the range of a shotgun as a weapon is pretty short, which for criminality is kind of daft given the damage a shotgun can make at close range. Not sure about sentences for illegal holding though.

Quote Originally Posted by maxfli65 View Post
    Shotguns aren't firearms (in the eyes of the law). It is generally far easier to obtain a shotgun licence than a firearms certificate. Not sure why but possibly given the range of a shotgun as a weapon is pretty short, which for criminality is kind of daft given the damage a shotgun can make at close range. Not sure about sentences for illegal holding though.
    So if i modify my air pistol to slightly over the legal power, it is classified as a fire arm, and i get a mandatory 5 years in the bin, but i can illegally own a shot gun and get less. I know which one i would rather be shot with.

Is there such a thing as a mandatory prison sentence?
    Thought the figures that get bandied around are the 'up to' sentence...

Strong possibility the target of the theft was the shotgun itself...
    On an adventure 'til dementia...

Quote Originally Posted by murphthemog View Post
    So if i modify my air pistol to slightly over the legal power, it is classified as a fire arm, and i get a mandatory 5 years in the bin, but i can illegally own a shot gun and get less. I know which one i would rather be shot with.
    'The Law is an ass' as someone famous might have said. Agree shotguns are arguably as dangerous as firearms. Rather be shot by neither.
    Did get caught by a single shotgun pellet once as a youngster at grouse shooting (beating not shooting), lucky for me as the rest swished past me. Got no compo off a rotund Yank either who had shot after the horn blew, think traditionally they're supposed to pay you off if they do draw blood!
    Them and us ......sigh

Quote Originally Posted by paddyk View Post
    i dont get the OP? Is he being jailed for shooting someone or illegal possession of a firearm?
    To be fair Paddyk, I didn't fully take in the story.... as the first few posters then pointed out, it seems as though the charge is for possessing the firearm....it almost seems as though he's got away with killing the fella as it was self defence. Thats how I re-read the story now anyway.

Acquitted for murder. The burden of proof for murder is too heavy and the courts have concluded that he acted in self defence.

The defendant is now being dealt with for the separate charge of possession of a firearm without a certificate - to which he has pleaded guilty - hence no trial. He will now be sentenced for owning the shotgun without the legal authority to do so.

Terrible bit of journalism that muddies the water.

To whomever said that a shotgun isn't a firearm in the eyes of the law - you obviously don't work with firearms/the criminal justice system or the law. Sorry even CS spray or PARVA (carried by most officers) is considered a section 5 firearm.
    Driver: CALLAWAY XR16 10.5 ♠ Fairway: CALLAWAY BIG BERTHA 16 ♠ Hybrid: CALLAWAY XR 19/22 ♠ Irons: MIZUNO JPX EZ Forged 5-PW ♠ Wedges: CLEVELAND 588 RTX 2.0 50/54/58 ♠ Putter: BETTINARDI QUEEN BEE #8

Quote Originally Posted by Sats View Post
    To whomever said that a shotgun isn't a firearm in the eyes of the law - you obviously don't work with firearms/the criminal justice system or the law. Sorry even CS spray or PARVA (carried by most officers) is considered a section 5 firearm.
    However 'Shotguns' and 'Firearms' are clearly differentiated - as they are often mentioned together! As in this government article https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/firearms

Perhaps also worth noting...https://www.staffordshire.police.uk/...-and-a-Firearm
    Last edited by Foxholer; 19-Sep-2017 at 19:50.
    Adams Speedline 9.5* Tech Rul 54 S
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 13.5* Matrix Red Tie 70R
    Adams XTD TI 15* set to 16.5* Matrix Red Tie 70S
    Adams XTD TI 20* at 21* Matrix Red Tie S
    Adams XTD TI 23* at 24* Matrix Red Tie S
    Titleist 913 27* Diamana Kuro Kage S
    McGregor PCB Tour 6-PW S300
    Cleveland 588 Forged 52, 58
    Seemore Si1 33" or Bettinardi Baby Bee CS 33"

Ia Ora Te Natura
    E Mea Arofa Teie Ao Nei

It's a tough situation, but the law is the law. He didn't have a legal right to own that weapon and he's gonna get punished for it. The moment you start letting things like this slide, you start saying that people do not need permission to own a firearm. I have absolutely no problem with him shooting the intruder, if the intruder wasn't there then he wouldn't have been shot, so it was his fault he got shot.

The legal system has to take a firm stance on this and impose a custodial sentence. I live in a country now where firearms are legal, but you still need to have a licence or your gonna get found guilty for illegal possession of a firearm and given a custodial sentence.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............TM Aeroburner 19* hybrid stiff Matrix MX4 White Tie............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com

Tour Rookie

This seems like another law that needs looking at how can a shotgun NOT be a firearm.
    like the cyclist prosecuted for killing a pedestrian they used a law from Henry vlll reign about horses that is wrong surely.