Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

how long are you set over the ball, before you hit it ?

playing yesterday we caught a two ball( couple) on the 16th at Dornoch. they walked onto the 17th tee the which the ladies is right next to the 16th green, so waited for them to tee off before we putted out. The woman stood over the ball for an age.... i mean minuets. He topped it and put another down. as i was next to my trolley i pressed the timer as she addressed the ball.

2 mins 11 sec.

when we tee'd off we timed each other over the ball. I was 4 sec, Gordon 6

PS they let us through half way down the hole
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Club Champion

Re: how long are you set over the ball, before you hit it ?

Depends how confident or how well I've been playing, sometimes I psych myself out by overthinking, then I have to stop and re-address, I've hit a few good shots in a row it's normally about 5 to 10 seconds

Money List Winner

I would think I only take a few seconds, we do have one girl at our club who seems to take ages, she has lots of lessons and I guess she has loads of swing thoughts going through her head.
    WS DXi Superlight Driver
    WS Fybrid RS 17
    WS Fybrid RS 23
    WS Fybrid RS 26
    Orka GS5 CTi irons 5-SW
    Titliest Vokey 52/8, 56/8
    Odyssey Works 2ball Fang

Handicap 2012 34>19.4, 2013>15.4, 2014>11.9, 2015>10.0, 2016<11.6, 2017>10.8

My golf blog http://louisesgolfblog.blogspot.co.uk/

http://www.ellesmeregolfclub.co.uk/index.php

normally once im over the ball I pull the trigger almost immediately, bunker for some reason i count to 5 (:O) no idea y! currently with the driver its a little bit longer, 5/6 secs as i have no confidence in it, i am sure the longer stint over the ball doesnt help! we timed a guy infront of us a few weeks back as we thought he was slow over the ball and it it came out at 55 secs, seems he is pretty speedy in comparison!!
    Ping G400 10.5 Tour 65 x
    Ping G400 3 wood Tour 65 x
    Taylormade 2 iron Ctaper Stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Tours Ctaper Stiff
    Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS V90
    Scotty Cameron Newport M1

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    playing yesterday we caught a two ball( couple) on the 16th at Dornoch. they walked onto the 17th tee the which the ladies is right next to the 16th green, so waited for them to tee off before we putted out. The woman stood over the ball for an age.... i mean minuets. He topped it and put another down. as i was next to my trolley i pressed the timer as she addressed the ball.

2 mins 11 sec.

when we tee'd off we timed each other over the ball. I was 4 sec, Gordon 6

PS they let us through half way down the hole
    Two guys in front of us in a comp on Sat. On the 7th hole we'd played up to the green and they were on the tee. The slow one (we'd already noticed how slow he was) positioned himself over the ball when we started walking from the 150 marker. We reached the green and were still stood there for about 10 seconds before he actually hit it!

Fortunately it was a 2 ball and the other guy was pretty quick so we never really got stuck behind them.

Painful to watch though.

Suppose must be even more painful to not be able to get the club going once you are stood there.
    Hit a little white ball round a field into a small hole. Repeat.

Current Handicap: 12 2016 Target: Lower than 12

Q-School Graduate

On reflection I probably take about 3 seconds once completely set but there are people at our club that seem to fall asleep at address, one bloke literally stands there like a shop manikin, doesn't move, doesn't sway, just stands there rigid as a scaffold plank for about 2 minutes...
    Wilson Deep-Red 3-wood (Fatshaft) King Cobra 7 wood. Macgregor DX 22* hybrid. 5-SW King Cobra 3100i/h. Maxfli 60*. Tour Edge 50*. Ping C67 putter...

Never thought about it. Ten seconds, maybe? You can think a lot in ten seconds. Don't think waiting any longer makes it better after that.

I always get itchy when I watch players who waggle the club ten times or more.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra Baffler XL 3 & 7 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 4 Hybrid, MacGregor V-Foil M455 irons 5 - SW, Cleveland Black 60, Odyssey White Hot putter

How would i know? If i start counting, then that would be distracting, and may be take longer. If i start a stop watch, ditto.

I could ask my playing partners to time me, but they might think i am a bit weird.

I'm probably in the 5-10 second camp. Enough time to make sure I am set correctly, concentrate on a key thought and then go. Any longer and the whole swing becomes stiff, rigid and awful.

The situation described by the OP would be purgatory to watch or be a part of.
    Nike Covert 2.0 Driver, Nike Covert 3 Wood, Nike Covert 26 Hybrid, Ping G25 23 Hybrid, Cleveland CG16 Irons , Cleveland Wedges, Ping Cadence Anser W Putter

No more than 10 sec per shot, a little shorter with my driver, the longer I take the worse my shots tend to be.
    H/C 19.4
    www.rushmoregolfclub.co.uk & www.salisburygolf.co.uk
    In the Bag..

G25 Driver
    G20 3 Wood
    G25 Irons 4-PW-U-SW
    Odyssey XG7 Putter

Wilson FG Tour X balls

Golf. The only time it's acceptable for a man to hold an iron.

www.neilcallender.co.uk