Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Challenge Tour Pro

Re: What to expect from an AG irons fitting?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    My impression is that you wont get a full fitting in the sense that many on here would describe. For that you probably need to go to somewhere like Close House in our part of the world, there will be others but I don't know them. AG is more off the shelf options, which may be enough to be fair. It depends on how much you are willing to spend.

I've bought many a second hand club from that AG. According to their trackman I can't hit a bad shot and I get 20-30 yds roll out. Oddly enough that never happens out on the course . Take one of your own clubs to hit and get a baseline.
    Had a similar experience at AG Metro Centre at Xmas. I bought a Cobra F6 hybrid to go with my F6 driver and mentioned to the guy I was thinking of replacing my irons. He phoned me up a couple of days later and said he could get me a set of F6 irons to try. I went in and was hitting the 7 iron straight and long ever time. i was just about to buy, but then asked if I could try my current 7 iron to compare (I had put my clubs in the car as was going to take advantage of the double value trade in offer in the event I decided to buy).

Hey presto, every shot I hit with my current 7 iron also went straight and the same distance as the F6. I decided not to bother buying.

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Beezerk View Post
    A mate of mine got told at AG to spend money on lessons rather than buy new irons
    Point is they aren't always trying the hard sell.
    would not be surprised if this happens to me. my irons are easily the worst part of my game at the moment.

Not enjoyed very good fitting experiences at AG. There is usually a limited number of shaft options and the static fit was miles out from what I received from several separate sources at previous clubs tests. I would have my doubts about the accuracy (tweaked) of the monitor given some of the shots and alleged distances I hit. It no doubt varies from store to store and I may have been unfortunate that Bird Hills, Camberely and Slough all gave a poor service but if I was the OP, I'd go in with an open mind but without huge expectation

it depends where you go and who you get, the Belfast stores have a couple of pretty sound guys, Pros in each in shop. I had a great fitting experience with my current set, tried 4 heads, worked around the shaft I use, i was fitted for it previously, and after playing it for a few years, i know what to expect, then tried a range of other shafts, i have a ctaper lite in my 2 iron that i really like, so I tried it and the normal ctaper against the kbs tour and then tried PX and DG, but kbs shafts worked better, and I liked the feel better, the number on the CTaper lite were spot on so went for it, had the irons a couple months now, and very pleased.
    Ping G400 10.5 Tour 65 x
    Ping G400 3 wood Tour 65 x
    Taylormade 2 iron Ctaper Stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Tours Ctaper Stiff
    Mizuno T7 50,54,58 KBS V90
    Scotty Cameron Newport M1

I enjoyed it.
    No pressure (Which worked - spent up!) but went back again and again (think i had 5 sessions there overall) tried pretty much everything in the shop & came out happy & confident that what I'd got suited me, and overall the price compared well.

I'm hcp 19 & not too technical, obviously if you're interested in every possible permutation of shaft etc and know more than the shop staff then its going to be different.

I'm sure some stores are different, but I'm pretty sure the trackman thing showed my crap shots as crap!
    In the Bag:
    Calloway XR driver, 3 wood, hybrid
    Mizuno JPX900 hot metal irons & wedges
    Scotty Cameron futura 5w
    srixon AD333

AG in my opinion don't deserve the bad write up they get (entirely). I have been and had bad experiences but I have had great ones. Edinburgh Corstorphine store bend over backwards for you, one guy in particular but I have been to others where they didn't know what they were talking about.

I have also paid for a fitting in the past at manufacturer's fitting centre who tried to push me to a different manufacturer. All in all, the fitting was ok but I genuinely felt I didn't gain anything for my £60. If you have an idea of what you need I think you will always be ok.
    What's In the Bag;
    Ping G30 LS Tec 8 degree driver Tour Stiff 80
    Taylor Made M1 3 wood stiff 14.5 degree
    Titleist 712U 3 iron X100
    Mizuno MP5 4-PW Project X 6.5
    Mizuno T7 wedges- 49,54,60 Project X 6.5
    Scotty Cameron Newport Select M1
    Titleist Pro V1 Balls

Knocking it around here-
    Duddingston Golf Club, Edinburgh
    http://www.duddingstongolfclub.co.uk

2015 Handicap- 11.4>8.3
    2016 Handicap- 8.3>5.9>6.9>5.6>5.9
    2017 Handicap Goal- 3.9 or less

Again from me I had no pressure to actually buy, you have the choice of the stock shafts.....the only "fitted" bit was the lie angle.

I definitely think that AG has got better

Now DG is pretty much gone there isn't really any other National supplier therefore I think the sales techniques have changed.

Every time I go they are friendly and helpful enough.

I have tried a few clubs in and have never felt pressured to buy anything. The only thing they do try and sell is gloves/balls/tees etc when you make a purchase. Every time our lass goes in to get me a top or some balls she comes back with a bag of tees and a couple of Mizuno gloves
    The Bats:
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero
    Titleist 915F 3 Wood
    Cobra KING 2 Iron
    Titleist AP2 716
    Titleist Vokey 50, 56, 60
    Taylormade Spider Tour Red

Handicap 2017:
    11.6 > 8.0

Bought an M2 hybrid there recently. Took my 4 iron and 3 wood as the hybrid was to fill the gap. Got a good gapping which is what mattered, even if the monitor was telling my 210yards with a hybrid... and I'm yet to hit 200 on the course. What matters is the same happened with my 3 wood and 4 iron, so the gapping is right. As long as you have something you know to compare with, it's always worth a go.

Guy I got was a really nice bloke, no hard sales, and helped me out with some driver questions I had too.
    Follow me on Twitter: @dufferman

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by dufferman View Post
    Bought an M2 hybrid there recently. Took my 4 iron and 3 wood as the hybrid was to fill the gap. Got a good gapping which is what mattered, even if the monitor was telling my 210yards with a hybrid... and I'm yet to hit 200 on the course. What matters is the same happened with my 3 wood and 4 iron, so the gapping is right. As long as you have something you know to compare with, it's always worth a go.

Guy I got was a really nice bloke, no hard sales, and helped me out with some driver questions I had too.
    this ^^

I have been before and been told not to bother buying a driver yet as the one I had was fine for me

id always say take your current clubs with you or least some of to get an idea of what your up against

when I was fitted for my irons he gave me a little tip about my swing which added 10 yards to the club I was hitting on both my current and the new one

no hard sale either he kept saying mine were nice clubs (ping g15s) and that the results would be much different

I literally upgraded for 3 reasons

1. The double trade in deal.. meaning £225 off by giving them my clubs
    2. my 30th was coming up .. with kids on the horizon aswell wouldnt have much chance to upgrade again (shes arrived now.. no chance lol)
    3. just fancied the clubs lol
    In the bag TM M2 10.5 DriverTM M2 3 woodPing G15 5 woodTM Jetspeed 3 HybridTM Jetspeed 4 HybridTitliest 716 ap1 6-9 SM5 vokey wedges 46, 50, 54 , 58 degreeOdyssey White Hot Rossie Putter