Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Challenge Tour Pro

What to expect from an AG irons fitting?

Popped into my local store the other day for a pair of shoes.

While I was there, I had a look at some Cobra irons as I have been toying with upgrading. I had a hit of the Max irons and they felt nice, but the Trackman wasn't working so I couldn't really see the results.

The salesman suggested I have a proper fitting, which is free and with no obligation. I said ok, and booked in for next week.

Am not sure what to expect. Will it be a proper fitting with various shafts etc, or just a few hits and a sales pitch? The appointment is for 30 minutes.

Re: What to expect from an AG irons fitting?

A mate of mine got told at AG to spend money on lessons rather than buy new irons
    Point is they aren't always trying the hard sell.
    2016 handicap 15.16.15.14.15.14.132017 handicap 13.12.13.12 https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/martyn-vaughan3

Tour Winner

Quote Originally Posted by Beezerk View Post
    A mate of mine got told at AG to spend money on lessons rather than buy new irons
    Point is they aren't always trying the hard sell.

Are you sure this was a "mate" of yours......??

Global Moderator PhilTheFragger's Avatar

my experience of AG is that there are only a very limited range of shafts available to try, they will not have the full range and therefore you are only offered "In Stock" Off The Shelf options

These may of course be perfectly fine. and if you know which shaft you want, it can be ordered

also beware of tinkered ball flight tracker gear, not so long back I hit several huge slices and they showed up on the software as baby fades
    Driver Callaway Epic
    5 Wood Callaway XR A Flex
    Hybrid Callaway Epic 3
    Hybrid 2 Callaway Epic 5
    Irons 5-PW Orka GS5 CTI Flatline 80A Graphite
    Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy2 52, 58 degree A-Flex
    Putter Ping Scottsdale Grayhawk 34 inch with Fatso 50 Grip
    Handicap 19.8 Whipsnade Park GC
    2017 Imurg Challenge: Me 12 : 22 Him

Don't know if you follow any of the youtubers? But, Liam from from golf vlogs uk has just been through a driver fitting at Ag. If you watch them that'll give you some sort of idea.

I personally thought a fitting incorporated some kind of lesson, but the guy just shouted out the numbers Liam was hitting. A bit disappointing really considering the money splashed out on all the new equipment they have, especially as it's my local store
    H'cap 14.8

Tour Winner

i had a fitting recently at ag purely because they got the new ap2 stupid early and i couldn't wait to give it a go.

the fitter having a handicap of 15 didn't install confidence. i think he quickly knew that i was able to fit myself and just let me get on with it.

i was pleasantly surprised that tbere was no pressure selling at all

My impression is that you wont get a full fitting in the sense that many on here would describe. For that you probably need to go to somewhere like Close House in our part of the world, there will be others but I don't know them. AG is more off the shelf options, which may be enough to be fair. It depends on how much you are willing to spend.

I've bought many a second hand club from that AG. According to their trackman I can't hit a bad shot and I get 20-30 yds roll out. Oddly enough that never happens out on the course 😕. Take one of your own clubs to hit and get a baseline.

Tour Rookie

I enjoyed my AG fitting.. whilst not a real in depth fitting it gave me a lot to think about

I had my eye on my 716 AP1s before going in but was unsure if steel shaft or graphite

so went in, took my current clubs to compare .. hit the same shot with different sets.. we tried titleist AP1s , Ping Gs and some callaways

there was little in them so I went with the one I fancied

tried graphite in each because my swing speed was low but the results were better with steels so he recommended them

cant knock it for free

better than just buying I guess
    In the bag TM M2 10.5 DriverTM M2 3 woodPing G15 5 woodTM Jetspeed 3 HybridTM Jetspeed 4 HybridTitliest 716 ap1 6-9 SM5 vokey wedges 46, 50, 54 , 58 degreeOdyssey White Hot Rossie Putter

I would think it will be different from branch to branch due to the experience or lack of of the sales staff at any given AG branch and the amount of various shafts available to them, I wouldn't get fit anywhere other than a brand/manufacture fitting centre or a reputable independent centre that has visiting brand fitters or very experienced pro's, like at the Belfry.

My experience of a fitting at AG is not good I'm afraid.

I once had a fitting on some TM irons at AG and the first thing they did was go to the PING chart and work out what my fitting was for PING irons. I had to explain that a standard PING club is not a standard TM club, the salesman didn't understand.

But I got fitted at Peterborough AG once and they had the full Mizuno DNA system with plenty of iron shaft options. Great fitting by a knowledgeable person. So when it comes to AG you need to take every store as it comes, some are good some are not. If your not someone who knows much about custom fitting I would advise going online and getting some. At least then you'll know if they are talking crap.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............TM Aeroburner 19* hybrid stiff Matrix MX4 White Tie............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com