Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: How do you master your swing change

I am a big fan of tai chi like slow mo. My practice time on the range is very limited, especially in winter, so I try to get at least some of the work done at home. So I grab a club as often as possible, going through the desired motions in slo mo tempo in front of a mirror. My living room is also high enough to allow me a full swing with most clubs (I have to choke down a bit on the driver and woods).

The one thing I cannot practice that way is ball striking/impact, for obvious reasons.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra Baffler XL 3 & 7 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 ° Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 4 Hybrid, MacGregor V-Foil M455 irons 5 - SW, Cleveland Black 60°, Odyssey White Hot putter

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Immediately following a couple of lessons aimed at sort a serious problem I had I did a few sessions by myself on the range; taking my time and focussing very hard on doing what I was told to do - and using the 6i I used in the lessons.

But being one who does not enjoy practice I then took to hitting 12-20 balls on the range before every round - again focussing simply on what I was told - using the one club I used - the 6i.

I also now do a couple of practice backswing 'sets' before every shot - every shot. One before I address the ball; then a second after address.

Last time out (with pokerjoke, Radbourne2010 and JamesR on Tuesday before HFH) I was less focussed on playing - more on getting to know the lads. My score was pretty rubbish. BUT - even though I did not do my set routine very often - I did NOT do any of the shots my lessons were aimed at resolving. This is a huge boost as it suggests my head is getting my backswing embedded.

But I must not be complacent - I must treat Tuesday as a one-off and get back to my pre-round and in-round little routines. Because I know this will take time - my swing and my head have come from a very, very dark place of two years ago
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done

I think it's also important that you are able to have the time to find your own way to make it work for you.
    • Gog Magog Golf Club Member
    • Woodford Golf Club Member
    • TaylorMade M1 Driver, 9º stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 3 Wood, 14º stiff
    • TaylorMade M1 5 Wood, 19º stiff
    • Mizuno MP59 4-PW, Project X 6.0
    • Vokey SM5 wedges (52º, 55º, 60º)
    • TaylorMade Spider Tour Black
    • Titleist Pro V1 ball

I've always found that repetition is key for swing changes. Although repetition is only useful if you're practising the correct move(s). The advances in mobile phone and tablet technology have allowed us to film just about every swing we make. I have found that it is therefore important to be absolutely clear with what we have been told within our lesson in respect of changes and the correct execution of drills. After that...just hitting as many balls as possible until it becomes second nature. We've all been there, it can be a lonely place!

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mjleach23 View Post
    I've always found that repetition is key for swing changes. Although repetition is only useful if you're practising the correct move(s). The advances in mobile phone and tablet technology have allowed us to film just about every swing we make. I have found that it is therefore important to be absolutely clear with what we have been told within our lesson in respect of changes and the correct execution of drills. After that...just hitting as many balls as possible until it becomes second nature. We've all been there, it can be a lonely place!
    That's me - repetition of exactly what I have been coached to do - no trying my own thing - no tweaking - no nothing - no variants
    no different clubs - just doing exactly as I was coached using the club I used in the lesson.

Except I don't use technology and I don't practice it for very long. Just regularly.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done

took me about 6 months to go from flat inside swing to more upright neutral. did a fair bit of practice no where near a ball, just in front of a reflection in the french windows and with the Nsync.

hardly ever hit a bad shot with the irons now, driver is a whole different issue
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

It takes time. I have tried playing the last few days but need to knuckle down and get to the range and work it through as I'm not converting the changes on the course yet. Good ones are excellent but too many of the old swings still in there

Quote Originally Posted by HomerJSimpson View Post
    It takes time. I have tried playing the last few days but need to knuckle down and get to the range and work it through as I'm not converting the changes on the course yet. Good ones are excellent but too many of the old swings still in there

What have you been working on recently?

I remember pointing out to you some serious issues in your swing at the start of the year. Ive followed your youtube channel and it looked to me you hadnt fixed your steep downswing the last time i watched it.