Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Practice Preference

If you had the choice between practicing on a driving range with range balls open to the elements and limited or no short game and putting facilities OR practicing at an indoor facility that had a range with simulators and launch monitors so you could measure with real balls at realistic targets, specifically designed short game/bunker area and putting green which would you chose and why??

Re: Practice Preference

grass or mats?
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

I wouldn't really like hitting at a screen. I prefer to see the shape of the shot with my own eyes, rather than what a computer reckons the shape of the shot was. I don't have any rational reason to think the computer would get it wrong, but I'd just prefer to watch the ball go in 'real life' I guess. I like to just get 50 balls at the range and whack them all and see how they go really. Not too bothered about them being range balls and how far they go, as I'm really just looking for quality of strike and whether they draw/fade or go straight.
    Haste Hill Golf Club
    • TaylorMade R11-S (set to 12)
    • Adams Speedline Fast 12 5 wood, 17
    • Adams Blue 4 hybrid, 22
    • Callaway Warbird irons 5-SW
    • Cleveland RTX-3, 50
    • Odyssey Works 1W putter
    • DX2 Soft
    H'cap Jan Mar Apr May Jun Jul Aug
    2017: 24 24.1 24.2 24.3 24.4 22.8 22.9

Quote Originally Posted by Orikoru View Post
    I wouldn't really like hitting at a screen. I prefer to see the shape of the shot with my own eyes, rather than what a computer reckons the shape of the shot was. I don't have any rational reason to think the computer would get it wrong, but I'd just prefer to watch the ball go in 'real life' I guess. I like to just get 50 balls at the range and whack them all and see how they go really. Not too bothered about them being range balls and how far they go, as I'm really just looking for quality of strike and whether they draw/fade or go straight.
    Pretty much the same as this above, with the added comment that I drive an extra 30 minutes from a range 2 mins away from me to go on a grass bank driving range at The Warwickshire so it's as close to emulating what I would/could experience out on the course.

Depends on the weather today I'd definitely prefer the indoor facility, please. The world is ending outside of my office window at the moment.
    In the bag: Cobra FlyZ driver, Cobra Baffler XL 3 & 7 wood, Bridgestone GC 22 Hybrid, Cleveland Halo 4 Hybrid, MacGregor V-Foil M455 irons 5 - SW, Cleveland Black 60, Odyssey White Hot putter

TIME to practice , heck time to play while working away would be nice....

But my preference is off green grass.. that way you get proper stike and hit driver of tee height yiu use of the course.

Never used a simulator.. must be fun when there 3 foot of snow outside!
    A bit Old School, Taylor Made Woods & Ping Irons! Jetspeeds and i25s
    Scotty flat stick
    Somedays they behave, others less so!
    SLDR sitting in the garage to remind the driver, "he can be replaced!"

Global Moderator PhilTheFragger's Avatar

For me it would depend if I could "trust" the machine to accurately represent what my ball was doing

If I am outside, I can see the ball flight, I can see where it lands etc, Ive been on launch monitors and hit what I know would be a huge slice and the screen shows a gentle fade, hence my scepticism.

But the chance to be able to practice everything, Driving, approach shots, Chipping and Putting at the same venue is obviously attractive, the ranges near me just dont have putting or chipping facilities
    Driver Callaway Epic
    5 Wood Callaway XR A Flex
    Hybrid Callaway Epic 3
    Hybrid 2 Callaway Epic 5
    Irons 5-PW Orka GS5 CTI Flatline 80A Graphite
    Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy2 52, 58 degree A-Flex
    Putter Ping Scottsdale Grayhawk 34 inch with Fatso 50 Grip
    Handicap 19.8 Whipsnade Park GC
    2017 Imurg Challenge: Me 12 : 22 Him

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    Pretty much the same as this above, with the added comment that I drive an extra 30 minutes from a range 2 mins away from me to go on a grass bank driving range at The Warwickshire so it's as close to emulating what I would/could experience out on the course.
    Love the Warwickshire. Just a bit too far for me to consider membership

Tour Winner

much prefer hitting balls into a simulator. Driving ranges are borderline pointless when you have to use the shocking balls we are usually subjected to.

a sim gives me a baseline of distance etc making it a lot easier to adjust when in outdoor conditions.
    In Bag: Taylormade M1 Fujikura Speeder 757 XFlex ------ORKA PS40 3wood - 80S Proto-By-You ----------ORKA RS1 & RS 3 Combo---------------ORKA RS18 52,56,60 Wedges ---------ORKA Limited Edition - Green Bay Packers Putter----------------Handicap 2.2

It would be mats indoor.