Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Replacing Irons?

Changing how far you hit each iron means u then have to balance both ends of the bag. Wedges and the longer end.

I swapped my Mp60s for some 716 AP2s at the start of last season, was one of the best things ive done. What I would do is go for a fitting and see what you like, see what inspires some confidence, if nothings better than what youve got stand pat, if something tickles your fancy, pull the trigger. You cant take your money with you and you definitely cant take vouchers!
    In The Bag & Club:
    • Driver - Titleist 913D2 9.5 - Diamana 62 S+ Blue
    • Fairway Wood - Cobra King F7 15.5 Draw Bias - Fujikura Pro 65S
    • Hybrid - Titleist 816H1 19 - Diamana S+ 70 Silver
    • Irons - Titleist AP2 716 4 - PW - Dynamic Gold XP 115 S300 - Std Length, 1 Upright
    • Wedges - Cleveland RTX-3 50, 54 & 58 all V-MG
    • Putter - Ping Cadence TR Anser 2
    • Balls - Vice Pro+
    • HCP 2017 - 12.4 > 12.0 > 11.4 > 11.6
    • Sandbach Golf Club
    • www.sandbachgolfclub.co.uk

Money List Winner FairwayDodger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by garyinderry View Post
    Changing how far you hit each iron means u then have to balance both ends of the bag. Wedges and the longer end.
    Yeah. Longer end would be easy, drop the hybrid. Might even free up a spot for another wedge.
    Callaway X2 Hot Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3/5 Woods
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Hybrid
    TaylorMade R11 Irons 4-SW
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

Handicap: 2.4

There is a reason why the Fairway Dodger hits it like a girl!

Quote Originally Posted by FairwayDodger;

[B
    One thing I've noticed playing with decent players over the last couple of years is that I'm often as long, or longer off the tee than them but a good club or more through the irons shorter. Could just be poorer ball striking with the irons, I suppose, but maybe replacing them might make up the difference?
    [/B]
    I m the same with a couple my mates who are lower handicap than me, hit the driver and woods off the tee much further, but are at least a club or more shorter with Irons. I'm told its the upward strike they have off a tee with woods, which hinders iron play as you want to be hitting down on the ball.

As for Irons what about going to see that guy at Craigmiller park, Scott Gourley is it. only heard good things about him any head with any shaft, pureing and custom wedge stepping.

not cheap though by all accounts
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Money List Winner FairwayDodger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    I m the same with a couple my mates who are lower handicap than me, hit the driver and woods off the tee much further, but are at least a club or more shorter with Irons. I'm told its the upward strike they have off a tee with woods, which hinders iron play as you want to be hitting down on the ball.

As for Irons what about going to see that guy at Craigmiller park, Scott Gourley is it. only heard good things about him any head with any shaft, pureing and custom wedge stepping.

not cheap though by all accounts
    Yeah he fitted my R11s. Would need to see if he takes TPI vouchers...
    Callaway X2 Hot Driver
    Callaway X2 Hot 3/5 Woods
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Hybrid
    TaylorMade R11 Irons 4-SW
    Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2 Notchback

Handicap: 2.4

There is a reason why the Fairway Dodger hits it like a girl!

Go and get some new irons, you obviously want to, or you wouldn't be on here talking about it. I'm someone who sticks with clubs for many years as I do not feel the urge to change something that works. Done it before and regretted it as i was worse with the new irons that I got, even after 6 months.

My best advice is to go to AG and take your 6i with you and try some different clubs out from the fitting bags that are set up to you. Also take your I-phone with you as checking the lofts on the clubs that you are trying would need looking into. Don't let them fool you into thinking you are hitting it further when you have a 6i in hand that is 6 degrees stronger than traditional lofts.
    Taylormade 2017 M1 9.5* (set to 8.5) Project X HZRDUS Black Stiff shaft.............Taylormade R15 TP 3 wood Speeder 757 Tour Spec Stiff shaft.............TM Aeroburner 19* hybrid stiff Matrix MX4 White Tie............Mizuno MP15 4-PW Stiff KBS C-taper Tour 120...............MP-T4 50* & 58* TTDG Wedge Flex..............Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2 Notchback..................Handicap index 3.2............Member @ http://stoneycreekgolf.com

When you get the itch,,,,,,,,,,,,
    Mad inventor of the www.v-easy.co.uk A knowledgeable person knows lots of stuff, a wise person keeps it to themself

Q-School Graduate

A friend of mine has just replaced his 'XCG3' irons with "Mizuno T-zoid Pro's" believe it or not, he had a fitting done with a view to replacing his irons as he wasn't getting what he wanted but he then had a smack in his car so buying 'new irons' went rite outta the window, the cheapest option was to replace the shafts in the 'XCG3's' so looked on eBay for a set of the required shafts which just happened to be fitted with the 'T-zoid' heads...

Once they'd arrived he decided to give them a whack first before the shafts were stripped out and much to his surprise they performed beautifully, so good in fact that he's now had the lies tweaked and will be using them full time...

My point is that new does not always mean better and having the correct shaft for your swing can make all the difference...
    Wilson Deep-Red 3-wood (Fatshaft) King Cobra 7 wood. Macgregor DX 22* hybrid. 6-SW King Cobra 3100i/h. Maxfli 60*. Tour Edge 50*. Ping C67 putter...

my wife has a nice pink shafted set of Dunlop irons if you are interested...?
    http://www.nairngolfclub.co.uk/

The Nairn Golf Club, Club Champion (handicap) 2017

Q-School Graduate

Quote Originally Posted by patricks148 View Post
    my wife has a nice pink shafted set of Dunlop irons if you are interested...?
    Uhhh, nope !...
    Wilson Deep-Red 3-wood (Fatshaft) King Cobra 7 wood. Macgregor DX 22* hybrid. 6-SW King Cobra 3100i/h. Maxfli 60*. Tour Edge 50*. Ping C67 putter...