Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Challenge Tour Pro

Losing your footing

Had an unwelcome first yesterday. On the 12th tee, foot slips just as I am hitting the ball, and I end up on my backside. Must have looked pretty comical and I don't blame my PP for laughing out loud, but my back hurts like hell this morning.

Felt it at the time, and it probably wasn't the wisest thing to carry on and complete the round.

Have cancelled today's game and got the Voltarol on.

I have felt like I was going to slip a couple of time in recent months, both times on our 5th tee, but put that down to muddy conditions, but am now thinking it's my footwear. May be time to upgrade.

Re: Losing your footing

What shoes / grips do you have?

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Tyrion View Post
    What shoes / grips do you have?
    Nike something or other. Thing is, they only have spikes in the middle and at the back, nothing at the very front of the shoe. There is what looks like a space for one grip at the front, but they have never had one in it, that's the way they came.

Assistant Pro

Quote Originally Posted by rudebhoy View Post
    Nike something or other. Thing is, they only have spikes in the middle and at the back, nothing at the very front of the shoe. There is what looks like a space for one grip at the front, but they have never had one in it, that's the way they came.
    Did you buy them new? Golf shoes shouldn't really slip on a tee regardless of how wet it is, sometimes on a very wet steep hill they might but I'd definitely be looking at buying a good quality new pair, I play golf in all weathers and haven't ever experienced slipping to that extent even with spineless shoes. I can see why you PP laughed lol

Challenge Tour Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Parsaregood View Post
    Did you buy them new? Golf shoes shouldn't really slip on a tee regardless of how wet it is, sometimes on a very wet steep hill they might but I'd definitely be looking at buying a good quality new pair, I play golf in all weathers and haven't ever experienced slipping to that extent even with spineless shoes. I can see why you PP laughed lol
    yes, bought them new about 2 years ago, replaced the spikes a few months back.

Challenge Tour Pro

Photo on 13-09-2017 at 09.55.jpg here's one of the shoes. They are some Nike Air variant. I guess there should be a spike in the round hole near the toe? like I say, they came out of the box with spikes just in the middle and back of the sole.

Tour Rookie

Quote Originally Posted by rudebhoy View Post
    yes, bought them new about 2 years ago, replaced the spikes a few months back.
    Buy a pair that have at least seven cleats on each foot.
    a lot of the shoes today are made for the American market but end up on sale here.
    With the amount of rain we have you need good grip.
    In winter I have gone back to spikes as my course has lots of slopes.
    Get your back looked at by a Phisio so you don't do any long term damage.
    Hope it's ok.

Q-School Graduate

I find at this time of the year I forget to clear out all the wet grass from the cleats on a regular basis during the round.

Yes there should be a cleat where the hole is.

Challenge Tour Pro

It's my birthday in a couple of weeks, so I reckon I'll get the missus to buy me a new pair - just looking at the sole of these, and it's worn down smooth at the front, no grip at all there.

Can see from your picture that you're missing a cleat.

I've had nikes for many years and never had a problem.....but then saying that I wear Ecco Street spikeless shoes and have never slipped, even in wet conditions.