Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Would You Believe It !

Quote Originally Posted by rosecott View Post
    Why are you highlighting what anyone involved in handicap administration is well aware off. You said it was down to poor course design but course design was irrelevant
    Poor SI allocation

I didn't mean the actual physical course design
    2016: Started Playing->23.0
    2017: 22.7->14.4

Great link.

Who's course splits the stroke index to odd on one nine and even on the other nine? Is this set in stone or can it be changed. I'm looking at ours and trying to figure out a way of moving the SI18 from the first and yet sticking to the links guide of all even to be on the easier nine. Moving SI18 would mean it would have to go on the back nine. now
    In My Bag
    Driver - Adams Superspeed 10.5 deg
    Hybrid - Adam Superspeed
    Irons - Cleveland CG16
    Putter - Yes Sandy
    Balls - Nike PD Soft, when using new in comps. Will be Callaway Supersoft next season

Q-School Graduate

It is a recommendation only.

"Stroke Index Recommendation Rule of Golf 33-4 requires Committees to “publish a table indicating the order of holes at which handicap strokes are to be given or received”. To provide consistency at Affiliated Clubs it is strongly recommended that Appendix G of the CONGU UHS is followed. "

The best advice that is given is to have two cards. One card for match play with completely fudged stroke indexes and another for other forms of play which is strictly based upon the ascending difficulty of the holes.

We do not do it at our club simply because match play is probably the least played form of golf here. We originally had two cards but some members could not get their heads around which card to use.

Tour Winner

I understand that in Australia, all clubs have 2 cards. The matchplay card is the same at every course.

Money List Winner

As someone has already questioned, having the Si18 first hole actually favours the lower handicap player in all cases so it's a daft argument to support a really silly practice of requiring an 18 hole playoff. The reason it's silly is that it's entirely possible that that will also be halved and the players could be required to play 3, or more, rounds. Shear madness at any level of golf.

Having already posted months ago about the twin evils of not having your CoC sorted, and reasons why you should always retain committee discretion rather than the inevitable disasters associated with "no extensions" thank you for adding another situation to the list (although I can't imagine any other club has an 18 hole playoff to a match play event!)

Finally, the committee has got the players I to this mess and the very least you can do is point out that they can toss a coin to see who goes through, rather than both being DQ.
    Last edited by duncan mackie; 13-Sep-2017 at 13:36.
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

10.8 and moving the right way again...

Major Champion SwingsitlikeHogan's Avatar

I suppose the low handicapper could be considered to almost always make par or birdie on SI 18 - whereas a high(er) handicapper is by definition always more likely to mess up a hole, and hole - whatever the SI.
    to infinity and beyond...

...well from 10.0 to 9.4 this year would be nice.

And with just the October medal to go - I've got to 8.3

Job done

Money List Winner

Quote Originally Posted by SwingsitlikeHogan View Post
    I suppose the low handicapper could be considered to almost always make par or birdie on SI 18 - whereas a high(er) handicapper is by definition always more likely to mess up a hole, and hole - whatever the SI.
    Not sure your point?

The fact is that on the SI18 hole the LOW handicapper is only ever giving a shot if he is giving shots at every hole.

Therefore, as the more competent golfer, he has a distinct advantage at the first extra hole - he certainly isn't any disadvantage!
    some metal woods,
    any old irons,
    Pick up balls....

10.8 and moving the right way again...

As technically both parties have complied with the deadline to play their match, couldn't the OP allow them to contest the play-off after the deadline? After all the match has been played, it's the result that hasn't been decided.
    intolerance will not be tolerated